Project P38 with added Jag..

Cooper1

They're worth a punt!! 

Really!! ;) 

Thanks Chaps for the nice wurdz ;) 

Curiosity got the better of me today and i cut the old filter open, to see what is on the inside ;) 

4 dremel disks and a near miss with my eyeball it is cut open! ;)

IxL80Vkl.jpg 

The pleats are not too disgusting considering her use!

olakfVLl.jpg

fqPjIEAl.jpg

hard to see but there is a bit of skankyness in the cannister, pre filter!!

JdFrZzHl.jpg

Thats why you change your oil frequently folks!! 

THKS for reading! 

C

Roight! ;) 

"Giving her a squeeze" ;) 

After doing my scuttle fix the leaking has been stopped, however the foam under the carpet was still soaked. ? 

There are many ways to suck out moisture, however i'm rather low tech and some Cat Litter seemed the most obvious option, 

I can hoover it out once saturated too. so Win Win ;)

EV4go79l.jpg 

Those 2 batteries weigh a fair bit and help to squeeze the water out!! ;)

"More wheel shenanigans"

As Noted above the wheels have been refurb'd, sometime in 2013 so around 7  years ago. 

These are bad pics as the silver sparkle tends to hide dirt, but you get the idea! ;)

NFwTuVml.jpg

LxaV8xyl.jpg 

Making them look like "new" again wasn't too difficult, but being me the process was rather more complex than it needed to be.. ;) :)

First off was to wash them down with a normal soap to rid of any surface contaminates, 

2nd was to Claybar them, which removes any ingrained contaminates, but it leaves the pors open, which would be a bad thing, if you didn't polish/seal them later.. 

The final process was to polish the wheels with a 3in polishing pad and Meguires Ultimate compound which lifts the finish, and finally a coat of Collinite wax. 

Which in itself is very hard wearing.. 

The finished product i'm happy with.. 

2LugUzJl.jpg

D3yNw0sl.jpg

S95cf8Vl.jpg

In reality i need a better camera, they do POP in the light!!

Honest!! ;):)

"RUST" 

Terrible stuff, the brown substance that has plagued the Rangie since inception..... 

It was awful on this P38,, 

Awful!!! 

LOOK AT THE CHAOS!! 

KCx1MPXl.jpg

I shall have to scrap it ;) 

In all seriousness it was only surface crud which came off relatively easily with a Dremel ;)

IioBd8Kl.jpg

The whole rear inner panels were dull and years of muck and splilt shit had taken it's toll on the paint, some was peeling off etc.. 

Before. 

LFMisHLl.jpg 

This camera is shit.. 

After. 

mbqGcdql.jpg

bo2Eh42l.jpg

A standard Monte Carlo Blue was used, topped with a heavy grade PU lacquer

should be rust repellent for a good few years ;) :) 

She is 19yrs of age and tbh it is in pretty good condition considering!! ;) 

"stopping the tide PT2 ;)

Being a bastard of a car, it leaked through the sunroof instead of the scuttle ?

so to teach her a lesson i went to the nearest motor factors and bought so DUCK TAPE! 

Yep the issue really is that dire! 

R0yMhjol.jpg

it'll do 'till i find a new cassette!! ;) :)

C

"Scratch repair" ;) 

This has adorned her flank since i bought her! ;) 

AOvaV2nl.jpg 

So today i thought about getting rid of it, or atleast masking it with a good compound, 

these are the tools of choice. 

MK7WiOJl.jpg

22LJY4Yl.jpg 

The scratch you can definitely feel with your thumb, however after 30mins of careful polishing this is the result, the machines speed was moderated usually a slow speed is preferred, but in this case once the product was distributed I went for it! 

The paint didn't peel off which is nice, the scratch is much removed, only the dent really remains. 

79PSXe1l.jpg

Much better i thought!! ;)

Naturally i had one shiny bit and a few dull spots, so the entire right side was treated to a polish.. :):)

Y9Q6PNcl.jpg

36epDIml.jpg

YTG0vkxl.jpg

FV07v6Ul.jpg

SIYIpBCl.jpg

y9RS0znl.jpg

The finish i'm more than happy with, thanks to a good product! ;)

Ideally she needs a respray and some PDI work, however for now she looks ok.. 

Thanks for reading C.

• Cooper1 changed the title to Range Rover P38 - Project "vogue"

"Underside Paintage" ;)

One afternoon I was bored almost to death, and with nothing constructive to do "in real life" I decided to to something i've been putting off for a while.. 

And that is painting underside bits ;) 

Using Logic I decided to start at the front and work my way back, the Front axle being the first port of call ;) :)

The proverbial before 

n53kzUql.jpg

ysOdtyGl.jpg

y0h3nksl.jpg

ljXqSSjl.jpg 

Paint was few and far between, in my shed is a mix of shit, however i did dig out some chassis black and some Kurrust! 

And the afters!

OMCdh0xl.jpg

pKABc7tl.jpg

57SxRsSl.jpg

fH84wGPl.jpg 

XYr4KU4l.jpg

Not a bad finish all things considered! :)  + 

In an ideal world the axles will be stripped/rebuilt + a good powdercoating session! 

anyway ;)

Just got 1000feet of massive 4x4 behind it to finish off!! ;)

Sorry for not reading the whole thread if this has been answered already, but I skimmed the forum today and noticed the picture of your carpet with the batteries on it. The insulation is very red at the end, and a coolant leak from failed o-rings on the cabin heater is a common fault.

Like I said I've not read the whole thread, apologies if you've looked at this or fixed it already, or if it's an old leak. Just thought I should mentioned it to a fellow P38 owner. ☺️

6 hours ago, MikeKnight said:

Sorry for not reading the whole thread if this has been answered already, but I skimmed the forum today and noticed the picture of your carpet with the batteries on it. The insulation is very red at the end, and a coolant leak from failed o-rings on the cabin heater is a common fault.

Like I said I've not read the whole thread, apologies if you've looked at this or fixed it already, or if it's an old leak. Just thought I should mentioned it to a fellow P38 owner. ☺️

Thanks for the heads up, I did them just after buying her, "forgot to add" ;) I think the foam needs to be cut out dried and re-installed ;) 

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

This thread is just making me want a P38 all the more. 

Thanks, they're lovely cars to drive and a pleasure to own, mine has been alright considering the life she had.. ;) 

Prices are firming up, especially for a mega early or mega late one  

Get one Get one ;) :) 

14 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Superb thread this has turned into. The Disco looks abnormally tidy, lovely. What's it like underneath?

Thanks the Dizzie is in good nick on the body, the chassis needs a bit of work! ;) As usual! 

14 hours ago, Carlosfandango said:

Great progress. 

CFD 

Thanks CFD ;) 

"Project Discovery" ;)

In reality you can never have too many Land Rovers, and in my case the D2 was among my "attainable dream cars list" the same for the P38 that pegged that list. ;) 

The need for a 7seater 4x4 is not really justifiable for a chap of my age, but who cares ;)

This Auto D2 in Blenheim silver made perfect sense, and will provide the basis for an Overlanding Landie i've wanted to build for a while, although that wont happen for a while yet ;) 

Here she is after the 60mi trip from Droitwich. 

qjMK2Ngl.jpg 

F7KyPdPl.jpg 

The initial drive home was fairly uneventful, the Auto box was a had harsh on the upchange, and she had 3 soft tyres ;) 

Perfect then!! 

The first upgrade/repair was on the rear door, as can be seen here. 

L7xgs2Ql.jpg

The rear door has/had been resprayed in it's life and the prospective finish was crap IE paint peeling off. 

£5 later off of ebay. 

hs9SlyEl.jpg 

all nice and hidden.. 

cHZVI8dl.jpg 

Not too bad. 

Considering.. 

;)

More to come. 

"Project Discovery" 

The dreaded slushbox. 

The oddity of the TD5 Auto is it's a proper slushbox, however mine was a tad too "loose" and clunky on the changes, lockup sort of depended on the box's mood, and reverse was slack. 

I drained some out to have a look and a sniff ;)

9PWnYIpl.jpg

b1l6r6Nl.jpg 

Not great to look at or smell!

The drain and fill is covered earlier in this thread, the same for the P38 box ;) 

sump. 

y5YRLaTl.jpg

The Oil i used was Millers Millermatic Fully syn. 

1HTqMlTl.jpg 

The new oil improved the shift ten fold, the "slack" is vastly improved, and it shifts smoothly, which is a far cry from what it was. 

"No POWAH" 

The original battery was an unbranded POS and it died 3 days after getting her home, 

5KI2lk9l.jpg 

Raiding a somewhat busy tractor supply saw the purchase of a "erm" tractor battery - Numax heavy duty jobby.. 

Heavy MOFO and it fills the compartment!

21pQy18l.jpg 

She spins over like a top now!! 

RESULT! 

More to come!

• Cooper1 changed the title to Range Rover P38 - Project "vogue" / Project Discovery

"Project Discovery" 

"OILS" 

Usually when I buy a vehicle the first port of call is to service it, the old girl has Full Dealer service history, however i don't trust anyone apart from myself in regards to Oils, my personal opinion is you get what ya pay for in regards to oil brand and quality + change intervals. 

Odd too that the axles are listed as 100k service items, when you think about the work they do, it's odd. 

Anyway.. 

the LT230 and axles require GL5.. 

MpWIVL7l.jpg

my potion of choice, as always is fully synthetic. ;) 

The axle plugs on these are a ballache because some genius decided to fit plastic ones :( 

The socket did strip it, so naturally a plethora of tools were excavated to pull it out 

kBx7tJRl.jpg

A pair of mole grips managed to get it out!!
bJhvVVul.jpg

This allowed them to drain, the plug is a 1/2 square ;)

QpA0aMPl.jpg

6tWNU83l.jpg 

The plug was surprisingly clean no chunks! ;)

zDeRhcyl.jpg 

Filling is self explanatory really, fill till it trickles out the fill hole ;)

TRANSFER BOX NEXT

Some muppet at Solishithole decided to place the handbrake cable right infront of the fill plug!!

cy1KDYGl.jpg 

some fiddling and hammering got the plug out, a swivel UJ helps here 

More mess! ;) 

3Temf2bl.jpg  

both the plugs are 1/2 square! ;)

OrzY1Svl.jpg 

Both were quite clean to begin with, a blast with some brake clean was all that was needed. - no chunks!!

hr0noQSl.jpg

K0NlMjzl.jpg  

And to the finale!! 

Remember those dreadful plastic plugs!!! 

6R0ZqdMl.jpg 

New brass ones!! 

And fitted!

LF5sDi4l.jpg

j8tIx4Fl.jpg 

Very nice!!!

Thanks for reading! 

C

"project discovery" 

"chassis". 

Naturally this old thing had a fair bit of crust under it, she failed the anal MOT in 2010 with a back end that was ripe to fall off, so a new rear 3/4 chassis was welded on, my effort is to protect the crusty remains of the chassis until i can spunk £3000 on a galv chassis ? 

The befores aren't existent thanks to me having to crack on with it! 30c summer was aweful!

Initally 4 coats of kurust were slapped on followed by a coat of black waxoyl - followed by brush on underseal - followed by clear waxoyl! ;) 

NVksTmLl.jpg 

The results!

sEu1ktol.jpg

3bJU1oMl.jpg

UO9LSzOl.jpg

Ab5Hbael.jpg

kXx4twMl.jpg

yQ17E1yl.jpg

iydRL1Il.jpg

Yes thats not the prettiest but hopefully it'll do a good enough job!

It took me 2days work and 3 tins of hammerite underseal + 2 tins of waxoyl and 5 bottles of Kurust, hopefully it'll do a good enough job for a few years! 

In the beginning the idea of going all concourse on this thing was appealing, but nowt beats old school and i hope it'll keep the rot at bay for a wile longer! 

And besides if it doesn't transplanting a new chassis isn't too difficult lol ;) 

C

Next on the list of things for 2019 was the Much Marcle Steam Rally in July. 

natually me Dad and Bro went in the tin lizzie!! ;) 

there was a sea of Discos and Defenders there LOL

175TRLnl.jpg

VbsjSq8l.jpg

We walked around and had  chat with some owners! 

This was tasty ;) 

qH4gTXDl.jpg

fw5y3sIl.jpg

exMo9Xml.jpg 

Im4cScYl.jpg 

This will make @richardthestag happy

T2UKET6l.jpg 

And of course some landies!! ;) 

Ytmk5Mol.jpg

Vihd2Yml.jpg

ONdvxS6l.jpg

NTChh8nl.jpg

2.6 IOE

rdxK0rll.jpg

bukukKel.jpg

4LtsaZTl.jpg

That was a good day! ;) 

Love it!! 

PHOTO BOMB LOL

1 minute ago, Broadsword said:

Good preventative rust work on the Discovery. So what is the deal with the Disco being so much more susceptible to rust than the P38? Is it just one is galvanised, the other not, or is there some fundamental difference is chassis design?

Thanks ;) 

That has been a subject of discussion on forums since the dawn of time ;) 

The P38 has a thicker chassis that has a proper coat of paint on it, mine is rust free! they aren't galvanised - plus the P38 is an imprroved classic in many ways, they don't have any water traps like the Dizzie and RRC

The Disco has a fair few rust traps and the factory coating on the chassis is akin to that stuff you get on new parts/panels you know that cheap black coating that flakes off ;) 

odd really!! 

Same factory etc

totally different!! ;) 

C

In my experiences, one thing Rover group didn't skimp on was good chassis rustproofing. It was also helped a bit by the leaking oil pressure sensor, but there was literally no rust on the chassis whatsoever. Compared to the Land Cruiser, Brother Fumbler's P38 was clean as a whistle underneath!

16 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

In my experiences, one thing Rover group didn't skimp on was good chassis rustproofing. It was also helped a bit by the leaking oil pressure sensor, but there was literally no rust on the chassis whatsoever. Compared to the Land Cruiser, Brother Fumbler's P38 was clean as a whistle underneath!

I agree the equiv Jap 4x4 was rotting from the inside out. 

Atleat the last land cruiser and Y60 patrol i looked at ;) 

1 minute ago, Cooper1 said:

I agree the equiv Jap 4x4 was rotting from the inside out. 

Atleat the last land cruiser and Y60 patrol i looked at ;) 

Bodies on Toyotas are good, the frames aren't. The coating they used loves to peel and trap moisture. Lovely stuff it is, especially when a ton of rust comes off when you're wirebrushing underneath the car!

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

Bodies on Toyotas are good, the frames aren't. The coating they used loves to peel and trap moisture. Lovely stuff it is, especially when a ton of rust comes off when you're wirebrushing underneath the car!

Aye the bodies are alright ;) 

Just the spine that lets them down ;)

1 minute ago, Cooper1 said:

Aye the bodies are alright ;) 

Just the spine that lets them down ;)

For 147000 miles though, the frame on Brother Fumbler's car has done well. It will kill it one day, but hopefully the work I've done on it will buy it some more time!

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

For 147000 miles though, the frame on Brother Fumbler's car has done well. It will kill it one day, but hopefully the work I've done on it will buy it some more time!

It'll last ;) 

The old D2 is on 188k hopefully she'll see 200k on the original spine ;)

"Project P38" 

Fairly Inclement weather I hate, being the weekend anorl makes it extra depressing. 

With that in mind I was rooting around my P38 looking for stuff to do, the IACV and MAF stood out to me. 

1) the IACV plays up and needs a good clean.  

Both inside and out ;)

Two clamps hold it to the manifold, and it slides off, being careful with the connector! 

SLJRjAtl.jpg 

And here is the blighter!  

KAwGYQWl.jpg 

The inside was dowsed with brake cleaner and a bit of crap came oot! 

The connector was cleaned out with contact cleaner, and the body................................... 

IQJ4Pqfl.jpg 

Was put in a vice and wire brushed to polish it up, once cleaned off a coat of VHT Lacquer was added. :)

And the finished product! 

68bpBEXl.jpg

urmvbYul.jpg

Yes i'm odd, but as they say it's in the detail!! ;);) 

C

The Discovery 2 chassis was made by GKN with thinner steel and thereby more prone to rot but the bodies were more durable than their predecessors.

I try and treat my Defender’s chassis with Sikaflex once a year to keep the tin worm at bay.

Loving the work that you are doing to both these fine vehicles.

"Engine bay" 

Just found this picture from the "for sale" advert i saved. 

bzcCYXdl.jpg 

Who knew it was a little bastard in the making ;) 'tis still a glorious power unit ;) 

The cosmetic and mechanical repairs and improvements are listed in this thread, but this made me happeh!! ;)

And now ;) 

hdU492Il.jpg  

Anyway............................................. 

This mess next!

HXYERW0l.jpg

WAjlZvfl.jpg

when i get the time ;)

C