Project P38 with added Jag..

Cooper1

3 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

Good to see this still going, and thanks for all the detailed fixes.

Having said I'd never own one, I now appear to have changed my mind! Check out my thread for gory details:

I'm interested in the LPG, obvs 🤔

Welcome to the world of fun that is P38 ownership. 

They're a simple beast to maintain, EAS and the lark is pish easy to understand and diagnose after familiarising yourself with the system. 

Same goes the for electrical system.. ;) 

I'll defo have a read of your thread. :) 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, Cooper1 said:

Also gave the drivers window an adjustment, the glass had started to pitch slightly and bind... 

Quite an easy fix, just involves removing the door card and giving a bolt an adjustmant.. 

The bolt circled allows the window mechanism to pitch one way or other, I guess it adjusts the wear out of the plastic runners! 

WjhI8G1l.jpg

That was an easy job! ;) 

So how does this work then? I've had the door card off as you'll see in my thread, and replaced the front runner / channel, but can't seem to get the regulator to tilt like you describe. I've loosened and tightened the nut you've circled but it doesn't see to allow any adjustment - what am I missing?

I'll have another play later.

9 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

So how does this work then? I've had the door card off as you'll see in my thread, and replaced the front runner / channel, but can't seem to get the regulator to tilt like you describe. I've loosened and tightened the nut you've circled but it doesn't see to allow any adjustment - what am I missing?

I'll have another play later.

That bolt allows the crescent gear/rail position to be adjusted

mMaG0rKl.jpg 

My spanner is pointing at the piece that moves ;) 

qvx41zal.jpg

From what i recall it is the only form of adjustment for the mechanism and the window has to be half way open/closed to allow the bolt to move ;) 

Also worth checking the teeth on the gear, common issue is they strip and cause issue.

MOT tomorra. 

I've cleaned off all the oil leaks from underneath ;) and all the mud which I'm sure the MOT tester will appreciate not having mud fall in his eyes. 

Interior next, it was quite shitty inside. ;) 

IPnIvn2l.jpg 

OVUv7ICl.jpg

jNJeSC9l.jpg

Quick clean up ;) 

Amj0jBzl.jpg

iWCj7Mfl.jpg

xjU5Ryql.jpg 

7b4DalOl.jpg

kXAGt9yl.jpg

potato grade photos courtesy of my crap camera!! 

Hopefully the heap passes ;)

Well done on the MOT pass!

I found another place to adjust the window pitch. There is a little 8 mm nyloc nut on the rear bottom corner of the regulator. Best viewed with the window just under half way down. I had to do this on mine recently.

"No worries for another year.." I said that once about my P38. It was followed by a sound... "BEEP BEEP BEEP!"

5 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Well done on the MOT pass!

I found another place to adjust the window pitch. There is a little 8 mm nyloc nut on the rear bottom corner of the regulator. Best viewed with the window just under half way down. I had to do this on mine recently.

"No worries for another year.." I said that once about my P38. It was followed by a sound... "BEEP BEEP BEEP!"

Yes, that's the one I've played with already, unless there's one on the other side:

cu8DjOk.jpg

Going to have a go at Cooper1's other idea this afternoon, I hope:

On 3/8/2022 at 7:44 PM, Cooper1 said:

Bastard petrol prices on the up, bloody painful I tell ya for a big old V8... 

Recently she's had 2 new Lambda sensors and a new LPG reducer solenoid thingy, which has allowed the LPG to work correctly a far bigger relief on the wallet than paying £1.55ppl for pez. 

Last big fillup on pez for a while 

DxISKMIl.jpg 

ftxZsYTl.jpg

r5lILsol.jpg

I pegged it at £100 the tank is 100 litres so you can imagine the cost near enough £150 for a tank.. 

Whereas on LPG it's £47 for 75litres and I get around 220mi from that.. 

Some pics. 

PYDB58ul.jpg

Csiamnrl.jpg

612cnJMl.jpg

uW5sLGkl.jpg 

QAFYUwYl.jpg

Still doing me proud the old bus, mot on friday too hopefully I get a clean bill of health.. 

Otherwise it's just doing daily duties, not bad for an old 21yr old P38. :) 

And in the the above pics she's in access mode, the EAS still works ;)

FFS! How many of us are running P38s now?

Interesting to note that the cost per mile of a V8 on LPG is similar to that of my 2.5 manual diesel.

5 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

FFS! How many of us are running P38s now?

Interesting to note that the cost per mile of a V8 on LPG is similar to that of my 2.5 manual diesel.

Yep LPG used to be £0.55ppl and so roughly half the price of petrol with the V8 doing around 15mpg on LP that equates to over 30mpg when compared to petrol which does around 19mpg at £1.30. 

Nowadays though petrol is £1.65 and LPG is around £1.20 🤔 so no real saving recently...

It seems quite a few P38 are on here now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.6b8b123b2c01cc656917a4c013de41ad.jpeg 

Been having an intermittent issue with the above, the 3 amigos. :)

Traced the issue to the ABS sensor on the LHF, so with my mindset of oh one is bust so the others won't be far behind I bought a new set.. 

And what a bastard farce  ;)

Not many pictues I'm afraid as it was "one of those jobs" where I couldn't be arsed! 

One swift tug got 50% of the sensor out. 

N9xykq4l.jpg

What it is, essentially the sensors exterior is made from stainless steel "is it fuck" and the sensor is slipped inside of a sleeve which itself is stainless "is it fuck" and the entire ensemble is slid in to the knuckle. 

However 21yrs of moisture takes its toll. 

It took me mangling the steel inserts for a good 30mins per side with a screwdriver and hammer!

kSNKRO5l.jpg

vzSSPVVl.jpg

A small tip, when you fit the new sensors it can be a right pain in the dick to try and wiggle the wires through the archliner and subsequently to their respective connectors in the engine bay, one of which is near the airbox and the other is under the battery, both can be accessed without taking anything apart, HOWEVER it is good practice to use electrical tape which is always sticky but never sticks to anything to wire the old sensor wire to the new one to thread it through all the maze of crap! 

Easy eh! 

And here is her rusty hole, dirty lass. ;)

M0YLHeOl.jpg 

Jammed a sensor in there and its rinse/repeat for the other corners! 

not many pics I'm affraid!! :)

Took the old girl out for a quick blast after work. 

Got some better side on piccies!

B3Dp59hl.jpg

0RWtGxXl.jpg

YmiXWjHl.jpg

Upon pulling out "fnarr" of the carpark I noted the familiar wiff of coolant... 

Oh and this. 

XaP3UYIl.jpg 

Yep that is a puddle of coolant which after a quick inspection seemed to be coming from the back of the engine, the bellhousing and trans cooler lines were covered in coolant, however the cylinder head and block are dry. 

EAVOYwCl.jpg

So it seems to have blown the valley gasket, which is common on the RV8  not too much of a hassle.. :)

More next week folks!

Thanks fer looking!

• Cooper1 changed the title to Project V8 Range Rover P38

So with the above issues I bought some new bits.. 

Valley gasket, rocker cover gaskets and a few other things ;) 

qOOIuvS.jpg

Bonnet in service mode which is quite easy, just disconnect the gas struts and the bonnet lifts further and is locked in with 2 metal clips :)

2TPKQ6T.jpg

I didn't go too in depth above the top end as I just wanted to get it done. 

The gist of it is thus.. 

1) Remove the upper rad hose 

2) Remove viscous fan "36mm" 

3) disconnect battery 

4) Maf and associated air intake pipework removed. 

5) IACV removed. 

6) LPG pipes for both banks removed 

7) Coolant pipes loosened off from the O/S cylinder head and pipe removed from lower intake. 

8) Alternator removed. 

9) A/C and PAS pump removed and tilted out of the way. 

10) Bracket that holds the above removed completely 

11) igniton coil bolts removed 

12) upper intake bolts loosened.. 

13) Ran out of time due to it snowing!! and other commitments!

DuySdvb.jpg

vVgc91a.jpg

Hmm seems I've found where the oil leak is coming from. :) 

b3jA8Og.jpg

EBzNHqk.jpg

I've got a case of brake cleaner which I'm gonna get though I bet with the amount of crap on this motor. ;) 

More to come I'm sure!! ;) 

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

I had to buy a new microwave today which did show up a P38 annoyance as it was a pain in the arse to load the heavy box into the boot because of the single button to open both parts of the tailgate and drop the lower half with one hand.

That can be annoying. 

I had 250kg worth of coal and wood in the back of mine last week ;) 

18 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I've managed to load up some pretty heave stuff to take to the tip without shagging up the air suspension.

Yep nothing better than loading it up with its arse on the ground and then starting it and watching it level off.. 

Nice to have, compared to the old Classics that would start to sag if you put a packet of peanuts on the back seat ;) 

18 hours ago, warren t claim said:

Any other P38 owners here noticed that the headlights, although super powerful on main beam, are like driving around with a torch in your mouth on dipped beam?

Yes!!!

I picked mine up in the dark and thought I was being a fuckwit with the switches, but the dipped beams are genuinely lethally crap

So been procrastinating like shit, it has dawned on me that staring at it probably ain't gonna fix it.. 

So... 

1) off with its upper intake and coolant pipe. 

3mch9iY.jpg

A few minutes later after removing all 12 bolts "13mm" in the right sequence, I got to lift the bastard off... 

I did forget that the rocker covers stop the old intake coming off... ;) 

So off with its rocker covers... 

140k mind you I'm quite surprised by the internals. ;) 

VVUioTs.jpg

Xem9U1S.jpg

XEhs8oY.jpg 

Then we have a gander at the valley gasket, looks right mint to me. ;)

ixwsmqL.jpg

W867tMi.jpg 

Out with the shagged valley gasket reveals the surprisingly clean valley. ;) :) 

ReoNHDv.jpg

Camshaft is even not entirely fuckered, which is nice very rare for a rover v8 to not be completely covered in carbon shit inside, a testament to LPG as opposed to petrol, this old motor had the sweet fuck all of oil changes before I got it.. :);) 

I've got a case of brake clean to hose it off, and it'll be coming back together eventually ;) 

8 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

That looks really clean inside. My old Classic had similar miles and was like the inside of a smoker's lung.

for just cracking on with the job. Only way somethmes, eh?

I agree it surprised me with the lack of black death. ;) 

And yes the only way is up, just gotta do the job! ;) 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, Cooper1 said:

That has gotta be the most unimaginative title in the known universe, but it's all i got! ;) 

This thread is to document the adventures, and lets be honest misadventures of me and my vehicles, the main focus of this thread is to document my Range rover P38 i bought at the not so idiotic age of 17 from a chap in Worcestershire.

Pics are few and far between.

Originally I passed my test and my Dad wanted me to buy something small and economical,  i left the house telling everyone I was going out to view a citroen Saxo VTS, 

And rocked up with this a few hours later!

bsQ69Ypl.jpg 

My Parent IE my Dad was speachless and the rest of 'em. 

Well either laughed with pity or walked away!! 

It went haywire when I told them it was a 4.6 Vogue with LPG ?

Spec wise. 

Vogue specification 

Wood/leather steering wheel 

16ish way seats with 2 person memory + heaters

Harman Karden sound system 

Satnag 

4spd Auto with sport mode "chortle" 

18" Comet alloys 

Monte Carlo Blue 

Air suspension

Climate pack - heaterd front and rear windows. 

And a few other odds and ends . ;)

The standard practice after buying such a car is to start driving it hard and long distance Daily.. 

Of course it got covered in shit from all the country lane jaunts, 

UT6SlGEl.jpg

DIW3TWal.jpg 

My Main love of cars comes from fixing them and cleanin' 'em myself, as such the old girl had to look her best, 

As odd and knobby as it sounds I do get rather nerdy when it comes to cleanin' 

Washmitts and speshul buckets anorl!! ;)

X7jjR13l.jpg

suxveVyl.jpg

And thats it for an into! 

More later when i can find and correctly post regarding pics ;)

H

Super Duper!!! Nice choice young Sir

If you ever struggle for interior trim pieces and electricals the Rover 800 shares a few of the same parts