Cooper1

Project "p38" Diary of a 2001 Range Rover

Great thread, great car!

Probably unusual these days for one of these having some much TLC and preventative maintenance thrown at it.  I’m sure most are experiencing a managed retreat which is sad really.

Keep up the good work 👍

Not brave / competent enough to do mine!! Just did the HT leads on mine. Need to be 7ft tall to reach the back of the engine and have hands the size of a small child to get to them. I thought it would take 10 minutes but took an hour! Definitely added an extra 50bhp doing them😄

The ZF 4HP22 in my Classic had that kind of shit in the sump and that kind of colour oil, and threw a 7 not so long later. Just sayin...

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a good s/h box whilst there are still loads of cheap 4HP24 boxes from broken P38's around?

3 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

The ZF 4HP22 in my Classic had that kind of shit in the sump and that kind of colour oil, and threw a 7 not so long later. Just sayin...

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a good s/h box whilst there are still loads of cheap 4HP24 boxes from broken P38's around?

Yep i'm going to agree with you there!! 

Just to depress myself I decided to pull the gearbox filter apart to check inside for any untoward metal bits. tumbleweed.gif

The filter came apart with the help of some pliers!

thumb.gif

FD3Xv6Ml.jpg

And now the treat within! censored.gif

qPavHp4l.jpg
2dzZ3wFl.jpg
lYov0owl.jpg
YjarwbNl.jpg
1n4tmuzl.jpg
wRppm3Pl.jpg

Me and the Cat were not happy with what we found, however with the life she had before my ownership it is hardly surprising!

XDvAh9Ol.jpg

Anyway to cheer myself up,I took some pictures of the car! biggrin.gif

qVS3VmJl.jpg
spfUXIal.jpg
DiWIulal.jpg
v7eqyU1l.jpg

Mowing the Grass outside the house, grass which hasn't been touched in years has provided an extra parking slot smile.gif

Should stop peeps moaning about the big blue 4x4 taking up most of the driveway! laughing.gif

7 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Great thread, great car!

Probably unusual these days for one of these having some much TLC and preventative maintenance thrown at it.  I’m sure most are experiencing a managed retreat which is sad really.

Keep up the good work 👍

Thanks.. 

They're expensive to run "SOMETIMES" however if maintained they aren't too far off an executive saloon of the same era.. 

MPG isn't bad at 21mpg especially when you consider it is a pushrod v8 propelling a 2ton 4x4! ;) 

She'll be around for a good while yet, I realise in future i'll never get the opportunity to own another V8 of any form, this old Bus is a good basis to build :)

handy too! 🤪

6 hours ago, burraston2006 said:

Not brave / competent enough to do mine!! Just did the HT leads on mine. Need to be 7ft tall to reach the back of the engine and have hands the size of a small child to get to them. I thought it would take 10 minutes but took an hour! Definitely added an extra 50bhp doing them😄

Luckily mine were done when the LPG kit was added, unfortunately with all the pipes and wires from the LPG draped down the back of the engine it makes removing coils or even plug leads a nightmare! 🤤

More parts turned up today for the old bus laughing.gif

68M921Ml.jpg

An Aux belt tensioner another one! And some drop links thumb.gif

First port of call is to pull of all the plastic bits laughing.gif

9Dac9nOl.jpg

Removing the fan is quite easy, 36mm spanner and a mallet!

LvkqDyrl.jpg

Just dropped it down a tad.. thumb.gif biggrin.gif

YMj1DEPl.jpg

Backing off the tensioner requires the use a breaker bar, just to allow the belt to slip off. thumb.gif

avybCJtl.jpg
26sxg15l.jpg

Once the belt was off it showed an issue with one of my guide pulleys, it was making some nice grind noises!

IBQScx9l.jpg

New one fitted, nice and smooth now! laughing.gif

xhnZJtql.jpg

New tensioner and guide pulleys fitted!

Engine sounds superb, no horrible grindly noises! thumb.gif

Next up a 5min job!

NEW DROP LINKS!

Old units were quite crispy! shocked.gif

Be0w2YNl.jpg

2 18mm nuts later.....

oDxGEYhl.jpg
DCGhL1Al.jpg

thumb.gif
Henry_b is online now Report Post  

Being that i'm picking my new Janspeed Zorst up on Monday I decided to remove the old unit early for 2 reasons.

1 - It will make fitting the new one quicker on the day it arrives, due to the fact i won't have to wrestle with the old one! buffer.gif tongue.gif

2 - I can do some chassis protection, the exhaust covers a good section of the rear chassis which is susceptible to corrosion. thumb.gif

The Old one has been on the car for 19yrs and as you can expect the nuts are a tad rusty! laughing.gif

The bolts came out here!

b15tBuZl.jpg

Thanks to these old fellers! thumb.gif 7

aDc0LIQl.jpg

These were a tad uncooperative shocked.gif

DU8I3n7l.jpg
d7NedJSl.jpg

Not sure this was doing anything!

7ciJ28Gl.jpg

The rear mufflers were being a pain, however with my good leg pushing on one muffler and my hand on the other, a good push saw the exhaust snap in half thumb.gif

gaIcf41l.jpg
yZuM2sCl.jpg
tlngTIbl.jpg

Might throw it on ebay! laughing.gif wall.gif biggrin.gif

hEAa3Lpl.jpg

"slightly used"!

Weirdly she is quite quiet with no mufflers laughing.gif

Xfejo9Tl.jpg

I'll put a video together when the new Exhaust is on...

Chassis work tomorra! wave.gif

Being that the old exhaust is now in a skip and not actually attached, makes rustbusting otherwise inaccessible areas really quite simple thumb.gif

The main areas are where the rear mufflers sit, it is quite common for mud to sit here.

In my case 18yrs worth of sand and mud, being that she was a seaside car! laughing.gif

nWJYEAJl.jpg
6yGyVWpl.jpg
FTLogoel.jpg
CgqjIEDl.jpg

Cracking out the drill and wire brush, a few good passes saw all the mud and silt come off, revealing sound metal. thumb.gif

cPhiLysl.jpg
2vQMhKBl.jpg

next was a chemical attack, mechanical means can only get you so far!
Don't get this stuff on your hands for god sake. shocked.gif laughing.gif

t8bfqzvl.jpg

A good splash and a ice cold Pepsi later!

aWYIlitl.jpg
aT8nYFtl.jpg

Another go with the wire brush saw that drain hole get slightly bigger, worry not it isn't rotten! LOL
It will be cut out some love with a file made it less sharp and a coat of Zinc primer and Underseal was added biggrin.gif

7UVLvaTl.jpg
VMydflfl.jpg

Much better!! thumb.gif

Being that I had a fair tub of this underseal and some free time I threw a coat on the chassis and associated metal bits! thumb.gif

Even gave the axle a spruce up!

Befores.

lpIGL48l.jpg
o8oiPPXl.jpg
2yWW76pl.jpg

Afters

IcD6Hmol.jpg
kFJvhNzl.jpg
Jqn3HFEl.jpg
CiPyO2jl.jpg
lOVC1V1l.jpg

And for the banana on the cake I ordered up this air freshener.. thumb.gif

mEHlrbYl.jpg

And my god.... shocked.gif

It smells lovely, however it is maybe 100x stronger than one of them fangled trees form a petrol station lol thumb.gif

Looking forward to my new exhaust next week! car.gif

Having owned this bus for 3yrs give or take, i've always slapped on some fangled dressing onto the upper half of the doors. wink.gif

Reason being I thought they were porous plastic... laughing.gif

Today I used the Jack of all Trades "Autoglym SRP" and gave everything in sight a good rubbing! shocked.gif laughing.gif

The befores and 50/50 shows the difference.

zPVG6Ogl.jpg

50/50

Kq92294l.jpg

Complete

VV8jBMFl.jpg

t'other side!

JxNrMSDl.jpg

After!

ZjtVfwCl.jpg
3d8tUdZl.jpg

Door trims too!

MIpr600l.jpg
hk2qpzUl.jpg
X2OpdoKl.jpg

A complete side shot!

DbWQ48il.jpg
kfwjZl1l.jpg

The issue with LR plastics is they're naturally a "matt" complexion, i'm astounded some kind of shine came through laughing.gif

The Pic's are few and far between, mainly due to 30c and direct sunlight! redface.gif

I'll get more later!

For now it is one job off the list

Finally for today I had a play with my scanner and got these 2 pics to show reasonably well 

#1 My Dads 1974 Tuscon Blue RRC 

DcR2rMzh.jpg 

#2 My Granddads SS1 he passed down to yours truely this pic was taken 19yrs ago

paVvaFph.jpg

Got my Janspeed today! 😁 

Got it fitted too, what a ballache, anyone who complains about fitting an exhaust to a RRC can do a P38 one!!! 

No assembly pics as I was too busy swearing and sweating at it!! 

Befores of the old 'Zorst. 

Rear most view

osBE4uvl.jpg

Now the new'un!! :)

YXkCiBNl.jpg

1cT6t2al.jpg

vHSvCsLl.jpg

well happy.. 

sounds fruity too!! 

The finished article!! 

I've spent today fettling the exhaust and getting it to hang straight..

All securing bolts and clamps are now stainless steel too! argie.gif 

sounds very smart..
Not abnoxious like some who just had the mufflers cut off, it has a nice burble under acceleration, but it isn't intrusive.
When cruising it is very quiet, idling it has a nice v8 throb.

Giving it some welly, or putting it under loads yields a lovely noise! :)

Some time was also spent polishing it! devilflame.gif laughing.gif

Before

cgl44Yyl.jpg

After

b1SX6hQl.jpg

4O4pVwbl.jpg

I've taken her out for a hoon, and I can tell you it is much louder! biggrin.gif

Sounds like a Rover V8 should! biggrin.gif

I could be heard from miles off, apparently!

I will get a video tomorrow!

Hopefully!! laughing.gif

Cx2QKfYl.jpg
gC3vG98l.jpg
Zw868DCl.jpg

Smartens up the rear end quiet well i think! biggrin.gif

Right..

Exhaust noise!

This is a taster for the moment, as i darn't risk waking the neighbours that was just a blip to 2300rpm laughing.gif

https://youtu.be/BXUTWY6sJYg

Compared to before devilflame.gif redface.gif

https://youtu.be/4VJrvbD-TPY
https://youtu.be/qnWoKZIWYnk

Can ya hear the difference! devilflame.gif

Originally thanks to being incredibly over muffled it sounded like a slightly angry 4 cylinder or at a stretch a sickly V6 even though it had an All aluminium V8 under the bonnet you'd never of known unless over 4k confused.gif

Also spurred on by the fact the original was past it's best I scoured the internet, and was tempted and a keyboard click away from fitting a new "original" over muffled exhaust, when i remembered the Janspeed Gem a mate had sitting around! thumb.gif

With all the mufflers inplace the Janspeed system has a deep Bass which I love.

Some people opt to remove all silencers, and in this case while it sounds quite good the note is very tinny, the unending rattle/drone will get on anyone's nerves after a while devilflame.gif

The Janspeed doesn't drone at all, but it growls when asked!! devilflame.gif

Another issue was with the stock exhaust you had to get above 4000rpm before anything could really be heard, now at the best of times I don't want to thrash the old girl, and before I replaced the Cam and Tappets it wouldn't rev above 3.5k willingly anyway! redface.gif

After a cam replacement documented earlier in this thread it really woke this thing up and it does go well.

The upside to the Janspeed however is you don't need to hoon it to hear the V8

It rumbles with the slightest poke of the skinny pedal laughing.gif shocked.gif

Above 4k which i visit quite rarely lol it produces a glorious noise, it sings the legendary Rover V8 song biggrin.gif

Enough waffling!!!! laughing.gif

H