Project P38 with added Jag..

Cooper1

"P38 Shenanigans" ☺️ 

A mundane update this time, just lashed some paint on the heatshields ;) 

The old stuff was flaking off! :food-smiley-015: 

Yudg7fel.jpg

aJdpeZll.jpg

simple things eh! ;) :)

----------------------------- 

EAS Heights.. 

Access mode

34h6Nvjl.jpg

if9WPNPl.jpg

Motorway 

N762lE3l.jpg

Standard.  

Ou8LL4Wl.jpg  

Extended. 

cmxSFgzl.jpg

EAS height settings in order! ;) :)

The water ingress on this old duchess is getting annoying, with the constant inclement weather we seem to be having, fixing it would seem to be an impossibility at the moment as you have to strip the car down for all the fixes and i don't have the time 

I had a cover on her at one time, i might of shown it on this thread, however it was a complete shit show and didn't fit! 

but for £11 i could excuse the issues!! ;) 

oFTcSSpl.jpg 

the new one cost a bit more moolah, however it is substantially better in size and quailty, it doesn't feel like it was made of paper like the old one!! ;)

it has 3 strong tie downs and is made from a thick material which seems quite robust!

dAmeAfEl.jpg

yUq2OTil.jpg

it even has ear protectors!! 

breathable too!! :)

right.. 

More painting shenanigans to distract the MOT tester away from the fact that the exhaust is completely wankered.. :happydance: 

The proverbial before!! 

HAl8uYtl.jpg

After a spritz of silver paint it looks a bit better!! ? 

LIhU7sDl.jpg

Ideally she needs a new exhaust system, and in true fashion a Stainless system will be going on!! ;) 

And also while i was under there it appears the autobox input shaft seal is leaking, which shows itself as red fluid dripping from between the bellhousing and engine.. 

Gives me an excuse to pull everything and do a proper Job!! ;) :) 

ARSE!! 

Can ya'll guess what my next job is ;) 

One of the nice points of the Range Rover classic and P38 is the use of grease nipples on the props. 

My UJ's are original and in good nick so the ability to pump fresh grease into them is nice. it extends their life by quite a while too..  :food-smiley-015: 

DnVDmEWl.jpg 

First one is the rear prop slider, being me all my grease nipples were in the wrong place, all on the top!! ;)

NfHlBj9l.jpg

Next up the front prop UJ, i squirt enough in to swell the rubber bellows. and force the old stuff out.. 

eoZuMfbl.jpg

One thing worth noting is you should see all the bellows expand at the same rate, if not their is a possibility the channels inside the UJ are blocked. 

which isn't good, oh and grease will take the path of least resistance. 

ShRkjqxl.jpg 

Oh and having a 2 ton car suspended by air is fun when you're laying underneath!

Kkwq4b1l.jpg

:food-smiley-015:

I hope you had axle stands when crawling under there! Mine weighs in at 2250kg without passengers. Loving all the progress as usual. I had no idea there were grease points on the P38, excellent info. As it happens I test drove a Discovery like yours yesterday, albeit not in particularly good repair. I was surprised how different it was to the Range Rover, much more agricultural, but a fun place to sit!

8 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

I hope you had axle stands when crawling under there! Mine weighs in at 2250kg without passengers. Loving all the progress as usual. I had no idea there were grease points on the P38, excellent info. As it happens I test drove a Discovery like yours yesterday, albeit not in particularly good repair. I was surprised how different it was to the Range Rover, much more agricultural, but a fun place to sit!

cheers, axle stands "ahem" ;) 

The D2 is very agricultural compared to the P38, any 4x4 is really ;) :) 

D2 is fun as heck though!! 

"royce shenanigans" 

No pictures "yet"  

I have managed to cut the rot from the bottom of one of the front wings to try and halt the rot that is making it's way up the wing... 

There really is a shitload of filler in this thing! 

Managed to dig out some reciepts for an expensive Auto box rebuild in 1990 which is nice, and considering she has only put on 4000mi since then i'd say i have a fresh box. ;) 

I did manage to get it to move under its own power, which was nice, initially the box was reluctant to engage, however after adding some ATF it started to slam into gear which is nice, don't really want to nuke the box!! 

The Box' sump does leak a fair bit, which does explain the 4litres of loss!! ;) :( 

Interior wise, everything from the front seats back is rough but complete, everything from the front seats forward has dissolved. ? eaten way, typical of wol wilton carpet.. 

the boot floor is solid with no rot as is the rear floor under the rear seats, the front floor pans though are shitfaced. ;)

Underbody wise, all mounting areas are solid.. 

Brake lines are crusty, which is surprising considering they were done it 2007.. 

Here are some pics.. 

in no particular order. 

q3bXaxzl.jpg 

lcDOj0ql.jpg

MnWY5dWl.jpg

vz3iFRll.jpg

aogPAu0l.jpg

nUW8EIAl.jpg

VcQE0HRl.jpg

WfNCZvMl.jpg

qY4JQU2l.jpg

TajURFdl.jpg

f2xv79sl.jpg 

9CQ5rcMl.jpg

G9srRT9l.jpg

4fwFkljl.jpg

NMPONQcl.jpg

kFxCE20l.jpg

She has 77,000 original miles!! 

Nothing makes my piss boil more than a half assed job, surely it would of taken the same amount of time to do the metal work 

properly,  as it would of to slap a shit load of filler on it!! 

She was Originally owned by Alistair Maclean, according to the heritage certificate, which is nice... :) 

Guns of navarone - Ice station zebra etc etc ;)

More mechanical maladies include blowing exhaust manifolds, which to some is simple however this is a near 7 litre V8 shoehorned into a saloon, so to do the manifolds requires the removal of the subframe! 

not too difficult but time consuming. 

We also need the window regulators and lock motor solenoids rebuilt along with a new switch pack and speakers. 

Fuel system needs going through, pump rebuild and new lines, along with a tank drain.. 

SU carb rebuild.. 

If i do decide to do something with this old thing, I plan on running her on LPG as a primary fuel, which would be an interesting project.. 

Single point.. 

I'm wondering weather to farm out the bodywork as i'm not blessed with panel beating ability, i can't paint for shit either!! LOL 

C1

"ultimate shite" 

You might of peeked a Purple fiesta in the pic's 'tis my nans old fiesta, it had been faithful work horse for her and the family, however it will need a shitload of work for its next MOT. 

Naturally i bought it for less than a tank of fuel for the P38 :food-smiley-015: 

spec wise it is Purple.. :happydance:

I have already utilised it's van ability! 

fs9Rlcfl.jpg 

I'm using it as a toolbox and shitshow at the moment!! ;) 

V2SR0NYl.jpg

vjPPExwl.jpg 

Engine wise it is the mighty 1.4 Duratec. which couldn't pull yer cock straight, however it howls up to the redline without much fuss! ;) 

C6Lqm21l.jpg

project plan is to tidy it up.. 

Maybe..................... 

36 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Also looking forward to more Royce madness!

Me too. Love to hear more about your Shadow antics. There is something magic about a down-at-heal Rolls-Royce. It must be the faded glory. Shadows seem more respectable now after a very, very long time in the doldrums. Spirits now seem to have taken over the mantle of crap Rolls-Royce. This one at Historics on the 7th March encapsulates that certain something:

1983 Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit - Historics March 7th Auction

From a little bit of research it looks like a dealer couldn't shift for 18 months (happy to be corrected on this) and now it is no reserve. The slightly curious colour, third rate 'private plate' and cheapo whitewalls are the icing on the cake. Like a certain kind of women, she would no doubt lead you financially astray, leaving you lost and heart broken. Heaven knows how much I what this car, if nothing other than it will annoy the hell out of the neighbours.

1983-rolls-royce-silver-spirit.jpg?mode=pad&width=1200&height=900 

Cheers Gents! :food-smiley-015: 

She is a tempting resto 

I have done a bit of cutting just to stop the rot advancing up the wings, 

xbnFkGwl.jpg

2h0bBOol.jpg

fhc0Wc4l.jpg

The steel used was either from a scrap pile or cut out of an old toolbox, utter shit.. 

Not painted on the inside, which was the main reason for the rot.. 

It has captive nuts welded on the inside for fook knows what.. 

Boils my pish i tell ya!! :help:

16 minutes ago, The_Equalizer said:

Me too. Love to hear more about your Shadow antics. There is something magic about a down-at-heal Rolls-Royce. It must be the faded glory. Shadows seem more respectable now after a very, very long time in the doldrums. Spirits now seem to have taken over the mantle of crap Rolls-Royce. This one at Historics on the 7th March encapsulates that certain something:

1983 Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit - Historics March 7th Auction

From a little bit of research it looks like a dealer couldn't shift for 18 months (happy to be corrected on this) and now it is no reserve. The slightly curious colour, third rate 'private plate' and cheapo whitewalls are the icing on the cake. Like a certain kind of women, she would no doubt lead you financially astray, leaving you lost and heart broken. Heaven knows how much I what this car, if nothing other than it will annoy the hell out of the neighbours.

1983-rolls-royce-silver-spirit.jpg?mode=pad&width=1200&height=900 

The spirit is a tempting choice. 

A down at heel Royce, is faded glory, a shame she had such a hard life.. 

She might see the road some day! :)

Just a written update on the Wynns additive I added to the crankcase, the intermittent tappet that likes to tap has quietened down. 

It was most prevalent at cold start and at all ranges from 1000-1500rpm. 

Not only did it annoy me, it made an otherwise sweet engine sound like a bag f shit, and having done shells and headgaskets etc etc  i don't want to be pulling this thing apart again to do the cam.. 

After adding this additive she was run from all ranges under load, and loaded, 

Fingers crossed it seems to have solved the issue, she seems very quiet. 

even on coldstart.. 

Happy. 

"project faded Glory" ;)

Got the old girl going today and moved her around the yard :food-smiley-015: 

The pipe off of the brake reservoir burst and sprayed brake fluid everywhere ? 

I did manage to stick a new pipe on and top it up with castrol R663 Hydraulic oil :happydance: don't use brake fluid!! 

The rear suspension still self levels and the Autobox is still happy.. 

Bodywork i'll probably farm out, I lack the finesse to do it myself, and i want a permanent repair, not one i'll have to rectify.. ;) 

Ltn7cDGl.jpg

Picnic tables still work!! ;) 

6ERQPISl.jpg

GsdXidcl.jpg

Project P38 and Project faded glory together! ;)

KEheMCxl.jpg 

More to come i'm sure. 

The interior looks extra lovely - what a great shade of blue. I broke a 1971 T-Type once which only had one picnic table. I thought this most odd and reasoned that one of the seats must have been replaced. However, when I took the picnic table out there were pencil notes stating passenger side only. 

Next up with the old Vogue was to tidy up the stock exhaust, before the MOT ;) 

You can kind of see the condition here! ;) 

qwKABXFl.jpg

A good douse of silver VHT helps. ☺️ 

5NDEn0sl.jpg

FI1mmEdl.jpg

BTwqAOvl.jpg

nOtGqlIl.jpg

I did also wrap my centre silencer, which helps with heat dispersion, and hides a peeling cheap silencer ;) :) 

UTMT1Tzl.jpg 

Makes it a tad easier on the eye!! ;) 

"Project Vogue" 

Picked up some of this from halfrods. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-MB0322EU-Mirror-Bright-Detailing/dp/B01MR9CPX0/ref=sr_1_44?crid=3J5NSRRNDERH0&keywords=maguires+quick+wax&qid=1583176774&s=automotive&sprefix=meguires+quic%2Cautomotive%2C209&sr=1-44 

Good stuff from as far as i can see, the finish is smooth as silk.. :) 

HvnvuSsl.jpg 

A rather easier and less time consuming affair than using a hard wax :) 

Tranny fluid was also checked, as i have already noted in this thread, i changed it with Millers Millermatic a few months ago... ;) 

The new fluid looks a tad tarnished, so requires another fluid change.. 

Not a big deal, and it can only help ;)

FypAhjnl.jpg

G111Ovol.jpg 

I will change the filter next time!! ;) 

"discovery shenanigans" 

Fucking hate diesels. never have any luck with them... ? 

TD5 decided to shit the bed, turbo's gone, + the injector O rings oh and it is making one hell of a fucking racket.. 

Pulled the turbo off, and it was really rather easy to do, which was the dead giveaway that the issue was far worse than i had imagined, usually i snap every bolt in sight. this was too easy.. 

ry0YDRSl.jpg

12minutes it took!!

Pronosis is.. 

Fucked boost snale 

Fucked manifold 

Fucked crankshaft dampener "i think" 

Fucked injector seals

fuck.... 

I'm gonna look into getting the P38 on the road next week.. 

Hope the fuckerr passes its mOt :boomer:

Today was a day of frayed nerves and chronic headaches as the P38 was sent in for an MOT after nearly 2 years off the road.. 

Upon entering the bay my hopes were rock bottom, but after SCRAPING through he emissions test and various other checks!! 

SHE PASSED! :food-smiley-015: :happydance: 

Not bad for being off the road for 2 years!! 

Taken the old girl out on the road today, a nice change to all the guff i usually drive!! ?

Put £30 of pez in it, and after some spirited A road and town driving she's averaging... 

qPo0pdHl.jpg

Which isn't bad for a 2 ton V8 Rangie!!

To her up to dinemore just for a break, to check fluids and everyfink!! ;)

She runs really well, i'm surprised as she has sat idle for 2 years! 

yQzk0MGl.jpg

CU14HWel.jpg

FWqKPAol.jpg

Really happy with it.. 

Great cars to drive these P38s ;) 

1 hour ago, Carlosfandango said:

Haven’t driven mine since before Christmas - something I intend to rectify very soon. I’ve been too busy with other piles of shite in my workshop  

CFD 

A332B0F1-1476-4E06-AAA6-CAA4E6D8607F.jpeg

I wouldn't call that a pile O shite CFD!! ;)

A beauty in the making more like!! :)

Love the RRC and the P38.. 

I forgot how incredible they're to drive, they handle a dream and ride a dream on EAS love it!! 

C1. 

"Muppet alert" 

Just before the MOT i threw in some Redex, being a bloke i didn't read the instructions and threw the entire 250ml bottle in to 3 gallons :mrgreen: 

She's definitely clean now!! :eatdrink040: 

Oigzx3Nl.jpg 

Another "upgrade" was the wipers were terminal not a failure, but on the brink so to speak!! 

After using them on the way home the rubber part parted company with the wiper arm!! :wink: 

so i popped to ECP and bought some proper wipers!

SsKgkUvl.jpg 

JlpQVmKl.jpg

New ones fitted, the old ones above!  

The Bosch supers are fitted with a "spoiler" to help force them against the windscreen when driving.. :)

HL81Gxal.jpg

I have to say, they work rather well.. 

C1

17 hours ago, Cooper1 said:

I wouldn't call that a pile O shite CFD!! ;)

A beauty in the making more like!! :)

Love the RRC and the P38.. 

I forgot how incredible they're to drive, they handle a dream and ride a dream on EAS love it!! 

C1. 

Good man, you’re very kind. 

That is a very rusty RRC and a long term project but yeah I flippin love it. Believe me, I have lots of rusty heaps. Keep up the good work man, great progress on all your projects. 

CFD