Project P38 with added Jag..

Cooper1

I've just read the whole thread. 

Wow. Impressed with the work you have done!

I've always been a bit love/hate with P38s. 

Very often they look shabby, down at heel and frankly, crap. 

In the wrong colour and wrong spec with a good coat of neglect they look awful. 

Then there is yours! 

Claybaring the wheels is a level of cleaning I have not reached since I was a 21yr old besotted with my 205Gti.

And I never had / needed your mechanical skills. 

Bravo. 

12 hours ago, burraston2006 said:

Got this last weekend to have a go at sorting the suspension compressor out:

image.jpeg.2d1ddd3da3f6f78f11ef133a406db677.jpeg

The compressor worked but was so slow. It would take approx 10 miles to get to the ride height . I had the codes read the previous week which revealed no faults ( not bad for a 20yr old Rangie). The video looked straight forward ( it does not let you know that 20 years of the compressor heating and cooling causes all the bolts to become one with the housing -bustards!). 2 hours a lot of swearing, 3 emergency cigarette breaks and  1 snapped bolt and it was done. She now goes up and down faster than a whores knickers on a Friday night! Sorry no photos but I had my 75 yr old father 'assisting' . Defo recommend this kit.

Here's the instruction video:

I'm looking to do mine soon!! ;) 

worth checking the airbags too ;) 

C1

"crusty bits". 

The brake dust shields on this P38 has always been terminal, the rears were

removed when i bought her as they were rubbing on the disk and making one hell of a racket!! ? 

I knew the front ones weren't too far behind, so today when they started to do the same to the front disks i decided to remove them, this time in a less brutish manner!!

I just ripped the rears off!! 

First job is to remove the wheel, it is imperative that you open a door or the tailgate to disable the auto levelling feature of the EAS to prevent it leveling when you jack it up.. ;) 

bUClaz6l.jpg

The wheels nuts are 27mm!

Next issue was to remove the caliper and pads, these were in good nick in this case, 2x 12mm bolts secure the caliper to

the carrier. 

3MTV3OKl.jpg

These  bolts are bi-hex! ;)

next were the 19mm caliper carrier bolts, these were a ballache, and i couldn't get the leverage to loosen them off sooooooooo.. 

nkGxDWKl.jpg

Had to get creative with the bottle jack!! a good few pumps saw them loosen off, i was surprised but it worked! :) 

NkhJJZql.jpg

The disk itself is secured to the hub with a pozi screw i used a manual impact to remove it.. 

These are notorious for stripping out or snapping off!! so be careful ;)

bc999KQl.jpg

And this is the reason they're coming off full of holes and doing f all to help the disks!

not a bad life, 19 years!

KujA6HYl.jpg

Fairly crusty! full of holes and do jack shit to help the car, even when they;'re in good nick. 

The shields are secured by 4 8mm bolts, they can be a pain in the nuts to remove, however in this case they cam stright out!!

weirdly!! 

once removed this is what I was left with a pile of scrap!!!

nUElmKbl.jpg

nowt much left of it now!!

I wound the old bolts back into the hub to protect the threads for future use, a good dollop of copper ease was used to ease removal in the future. 

ejMzar2l.jpg

Next up i used Jelonite gel to convert some surface rust on the hub, it was wire brushed prior to application. 

I wouldn't recommend it the stuff is utter crap, not a touch on Kurust or hydrate 80.

IELDvIdl.jpg

The carrier bolts were wire wheeled off and a coat of CG was applied to prevent siezing, torque figure is what you deem

tight enough LOL

EPE2l0il.jpg

next up put it all back together!!

scJ2xzcl.jpg

throw the wheel on and torque the nuts to 80ft/lb or do them TIGHT!!

;)

Q04tKMhl.jpg

tidy all yer tools up etc etc ;) 

EPE2l0il.jpg 

Tik3n2sl.jpg

And done!! ;) :) 

C1

"crusty bits PT2" 

Power steering lines on the P38 route down from the pump to just below the radiator and then that is both the high and low pressure lines!

back upto the steering box, in my case they were a tad down at heel, as yer can see!

9QV9lBnl.jpg

A quick wire brush showed they were in rather good nick under the surface rust, so a coat of Hydrate 80 was applied to halt the corrosion!

IVyWhuRl.jpg

Ideally i'd give them a coat of paint, however like the rear crossmember I want to see if any rot comes back, and it can always grow under paint!!

And done!!

I did park on the grass and enjoy what was left of the view, from my split level tailgate ;) 

SF9iT6Dl.jpg

wqlgrRPl.jpg

More to come later!! ;) :)

11 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I've just had the whole thread. 

Wow. Impressed with the work you have done!

I've always been a bit love/hate with P38s. 

Very often they look shabby, down at heel and frankly, crap. 

In the wrong colour and wrong spec with a good coat of neglect they look awful. 

Then there is yours! 

Claybaring the wheels is a level of cleaning I have not reached since I was a 21yr old besotted with my 205Gti.

And I never had / needed your mechanical skills. 

Bravo. 

Thank you very much! :)

It is a labour of love for sure, but i love it!! :)

C1

Chassis paintage hopefully next week for the P38..  

'tis time for some discovery workage though.. ;) 

The chassis on the Disco is a known to like to crust from the inside out, or outside in. ? 

knowing this i went looking! 

qZ19cpCl.jpg

UyuxGZZl.jpg 

i found some! 

surface rot, but it's starting to eat into the metal.. :( 

so i threw some rust converter on it ? ## 

wDJd4dBl.jpg

Galv chassis is looking to be upon the horizon!!

Next us was a well known TD5 issue which is oil in the injector wiring harness, oil gets through the plug and seeps down to the ECU and ruins it!! 

so i pulled the plug and had a look 

Oh dear.  ;)

x9POxLIl.jpg

common as dog shit however so i gave it a blow out with some contact cleaner.. 

Ra26nkHl.jpg

That mess came out of the plug!! 

Removal of the loom entails taking the lid off, i was a tad apprehensive to do so, as most TD5's have ruined cam rollers and cams, and being diesel there is usually a load of black death in there too.. 

However 

gtUzx3Dl.jpg 

both cam and rollers were in incredible nick, especially considering she has 190k!

OYzGfNul.jpg

mZqsugnl.jpg

The loom is a piece of pish to replace, just make sure you kink the wires near the injectors to stop the spring action on the loom itself.. 

Loom gone!

iaW2vAal.jpg 

And back together. 

OSU917sl.jpg 

it is worth noting the cam cover gasket is a pain in the dick to put on, some use grease to hold it in place, withing not to fook around i rtv'd it to the cam cover. 

quite wiggly!

xN8X4tkl.jpg

The Front cam seal was also on the list as it was hanging out the head! ;)

Yo8IBPRl.jpg

A new shitpart one was sourced.

TjKjqgql.jpg

the removal is simple, just flick it out with a screwdriver, installation entails just pressing it in with yer fingers! 

lube "fnarr" the gasket before fitting for obvious reasons!

and you should be done!

EMix78nl.jpg

stick the lid on and you should be ok.. 

7hWkM96l.jpg

Note the "should" 

in my case it still misfires and bellows blue smoke and tries to stall so its either ruined injector seals, or something else, it is ok if it idles for a while, however if you rev the shit out of it she drops a pot and smokes!! ;) bastard. 

Fine here when first started. 

Not very happy after running for a while!!

bastard.. 

LOL 

C1

Tackled the t'other disk shield today. 

Twas an easy job, the caliper mounting bolts were alot less stubborn this time, only the aid of a hammer was needed!! ;) 

Before treating it was quite crusty/dirty. 

JFYIZIll.jpg

yTD2pJml.jpg

The securing bolts came out no problem, so the shield was discarded and wire brushing and rust converting could take place! 

Etl171Kl.jpg

after this had dried i blew th area over with compressed air and topped off with some chassis black paint.. 

Vnol5Jbl.jpg

IMBsN7Jl.jpg

The caliper carrier was wire wheeled off and painted ;) 

3WXkN0ll.jpg

The paint used is a standard VHT silver.. 

XG9ByDQl.jpg

The caliper was then painted and re attached ;) :)

8jARFp4l.jpg

The cat came and stopped play!! 

protesting i think!! ;) 

ahiFAlRl.jpg

wheels were washed off and put back on.. 

SrFFJByl.jpg

Job;s a good'un ;) 

"in tune" 

When you own  car you like the tendency to become in tune with it is very common. 

In my case i tend to notice little changes in engine behavour in this case there is a very slight chatter from one ofthe tappets on cold start. 

It only lasts for around 3 seconds, but it is there ? 

additives and snake oil are few and far between, so i tried some of this stuff. 

sbm5JDml.jpg

Anyones guess if it will work, i don't expect instant gratification! 

but i do halve my hopes up :bouncesmile: 

"'T'other disk PT2.. 

\the finished product! 

is surprisingly hard to see LOL 

ZAbWhKBl.jpg

Being Mid february the sun is staying up a tad longer than usual.. 

so i took some piccies. ;) 

Kx6Ago7l.jpg  

CMIRy1Tl.jpg

aegMa5nl.jpg

2R0eHOTl.jpg

The shine on the bonnet is pretty good ;)  

the upside of EAS is you can stance is YO!! ;):)

C1

I have another potential project in the making.. 

My grandfathers silver shadow 1  

I7trAybl.jpg 

g5dAtKKl.jpg 

it is full of filler and a right eyeful.. 

let me know what you all think.. 

I managed to get it going after 10 years of sitting, gotta love the l410 v8.. 

It kicked over instantly.. ;) 

tempted

this was her in 1997 a short while after she was bought. 

excuse the quality.. 

UqglTSRl.jpg

• Cooper1 changed the title to Range Rover P38 - Project "vogue" / Project Discovery / Royce
46 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Always a yes to seeing a Roller restored.

The question is obviously simply whether your pockets are deep enough...

Umm money might be an issue, regarding bodywork, however mechanically i should be able to manage i hope! ? 

I have a workshop manual for it that is a good few hundred pages thick!! ;) 

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Bodywork is just bodywork...there's just a lot of it!  They can and do rust in quite some exciting ways! 

The astronomical cost of the mechanical service items is what would scare me... especially on a car which has been sitting...so brakes and the self levelling suspension are likely to need attention.

I agree 100% 

mechanically all is there, just needs replacing :boomer: 

The suspension will need re-doing luckily being a monocock you can drop the engine and associated bits out of the bottom of the car on the subframe, which is handy if you're doing extensive work!! 

Brakes and like you say suspension is probably the most complex parts of the car, however it should be good after a complete strip down, the good thing about these old SY shadows is almost everything has a rebuild kit! 

"Discovery Shenanigans" :happydance: 

As per update above the old TD5 was running like a bag of shit.. 

A new injector harness + cam seal and a few other bits didn't seem to do much, she did sound a bit better though!! ? 

After some scratching of head i noted the Check engine light can only bee illuminated by A- the TPS or B-the CPS.. 

I had my money on the crank sensor, so i went to the Euro of car parts and bought a new item and set about fitting it..  # ;) 

The location on the automatic TD5 is around the top of the Bell housing, it is secured with a 8mm bolt, it should pop out! 

Mine was mank.. 

jmmnkjDl.jpg

q0cJ7Tal.jpg

A new sensor - part number etc 

UDcaeqel.jpg

I gingerly started the mota after fitting the new sensor and she ran like shit, being a tad angry i prodded the loud pedal and kept it at full chat for around 15 seconds,, all the smoke and shit disappeard and she ran beautifully!! 

Result!! ;) :)

I lobbed £10 of derv in it when the fuel light came on, 40mi were put on her with relative ease, she feels a lot healthier now. 

much smoother at idle.. 

Mileage stands at over 184k 

ju6aQ1Il.jpg

One issue with the TD5 is a rising oil level from failed injector seals, i initially thought this was the issue, however it wasn't but still i wanted to be sure, 

E4lptmYl.jpg

Still looks alright!!

Threw the engine back together! 

DXYhJNgl.jpg

Much better!

Next project is extended seat rails as i find the seats don't go back far enough! 

A new set of rubber matts, too as i have the passenger side mat in my side! ;) :)

ybIcX0Zl.jpg

C1

"Discovery shenanigans" 

Missing interior trim!! 

After carrying a rather unwieldy tool box that decided to shoot back and ruin my rear door pocket I finally came around to replacing it! ;) :) 

the injury!! 

VRkOd9xl.jpg

A new one was bought for a tenner off of the bay of E ;) 

Removal is pretty simple

2 8mm bolts.  under the handle

KKocBydl.jpg

cj3Udgjl.jpg

pozi behind the handle

NRQB1AYl.jpg

and you just pull the panel off, i'd recommend a trim removal tool! ;) 

refit is the reverse of removal, i did squirt some grease on the lock and handle mechanism while there!! 

The after result i'm well happy with!!

tPE9bPRl.jpg

ImSXyJRl.jpg 

"key issues" 

Next up was the issue with the key dragging in the ignition barrel which is annoying.. 

bought some of this graphite powder off of ebay. 

e3AOqSBl.jpg

And gave the key a good coating, 

xh35GWIl.jpg

much betterer ;) 

gPq45JJl.jpg

more to come]

C1

Torrential downpour from the series of showers we seem to be having!! :(

And there is evidence of water ingress into the boot! 

Rather common on the D2.. 

A recognised fix is to feed some plump rubber pipe behind the seal to help puff it up! ;) 

K4mA8Acl.jpg

v4O0GzAl.jpg

I've got to get me some rubber pipe, as i don't have any, weirdly!! ;)

Put some Derv in her

mCVTEGsl.jpg

ACzuZ3ul.jpg

just under 3.4  on £80 pffft!! ;)  

a good few miles bought it down to 1/2!! ;) 

She does around 22mpg.. 

?

"disco body shenanigans" ;) 

More disco werk! 

The d2 is well known for chassis rot however it was believed the bodies were fairly strong, however the test of time has proved that quite a few are getting a fair chuk of rot in the body. 

so with that in mind i gave the rear body a splodge of waxoyl ;) :) 

3CemliOl.jpg

I also filled the sills with a mixture of oil and waxoyl ;)  

ymzpPXxl.jpg 

Chassis repair and replacement i can tackle, however bodyshell work is a pain in the bollox and i want to prevent any issues! 

Also due to a lager induced moment of idiocy i painted my sump!! ;) 

ndNTsHkl.jpg

kvRD68bl.jpg

More to come Laterz!! ;)