Project P38 with added Jag..

Cooper1

3 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

The ZF 4HP22 in my Classic had that kind of shit in the sump and that kind of colour oil, and threw a 7 not so long later. Just sayin...

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a good s/h box whilst there are still loads of cheap 4HP24 boxes from broken P38's around?

Yep i'm going to agree with you there!! 

Just to depress myself I decided to pull the gearbox filter apart to check inside for any untoward metal bits. tumbleweed.gif

The filter came apart with the help of some pliers!

thumb.gif

FD3Xv6Ml.jpg

And now the treat within! censored.gif

qPavHp4l.jpg
2dzZ3wFl.jpg
lYov0owl.jpg
YjarwbNl.jpg
1n4tmuzl.jpg
wRppm3Pl.jpg

Me and the Cat were not happy with what we found, however with the life she had before my ownership it is hardly surprising!

XDvAh9Ol.jpg

Anyway to cheer myself up,I took some pictures of the car! biggrin.gif

qVS3VmJl.jpg
spfUXIal.jpg
DiWIulal.jpg
v7eqyU1l.jpg

Mowing the Grass outside the house, grass which hasn't been touched in years has provided an extra parking slot smile.gif

Should stop peeps moaning about the big blue 4x4 taking up most of the driveway! laughing.gif

7 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Great thread, great car!

Probably unusual these days for one of these having some much TLC and preventative maintenance thrown at it.  I’m sure most are experiencing a managed retreat which is sad really.

Keep up the good work ?

Thanks.. 

They're expensive to run "SOMETIMES" however if maintained they aren't too far off an executive saloon of the same era.. 

MPG isn't bad at 21mpg especially when you consider it is a pushrod v8 propelling a 2ton 4x4! ;) 

She'll be around for a good while yet, I realise in future i'll never get the opportunity to own another V8 of any form, this old Bus is a good basis to build :)

handy too! ?

6 hours ago, burraston2006 said:

Not brave / competent enough to do mine!! Just did the HT leads on mine. Need to be 7ft tall to reach the back of the engine and have hands the size of a small child to get to them. I thought it would take 10 minutes but took an hour! Definitely added an extra 50bhp doing them?

Luckily mine were done when the LPG kit was added, unfortunately with all the pipes and wires from the LPG draped down the back of the engine it makes removing coils or even plug leads a nightmare! ?

More parts turned up today for the old bus laughing.gif

68M921Ml.jpg

An Aux belt tensioner another one! And some drop links thumb.gif

First port of call is to pull of all the plastic bits laughing.gif

9Dac9nOl.jpg

Removing the fan is quite easy, 36mm spanner and a mallet!

LvkqDyrl.jpg

Just dropped it down a tad.. thumb.gif biggrin.gif

YMj1DEPl.jpg

Backing off the tensioner requires the use a breaker bar, just to allow the belt to slip off. thumb.gif

avybCJtl.jpg
26sxg15l.jpg

Once the belt was off it showed an issue with one of my guide pulleys, it was making some nice grind noises!

IBQScx9l.jpg

New one fitted, nice and smooth now! laughing.gif

xhnZJtql.jpg

New tensioner and guide pulleys fitted!

Engine sounds superb, no horrible grindly noises! thumb.gif

Next up a 5min job!

NEW DROP LINKS!

Old units were quite crispy! shocked.gif

Be0w2YNl.jpg

2 18mm nuts later.....

oDxGEYhl.jpg
DCGhL1Al.jpg

thumb.gif
Henry_b is online now Report Post  

Being that i'm picking my new Janspeed Zorst up on Monday I decided to remove the old unit early for 2 reasons.

1 - It will make fitting the new one quicker on the day it arrives, due to the fact i won't have to wrestle with the old one! buffer.gif tongue.gif

2 - I can do some chassis protection, the exhaust covers a good section of the rear chassis which is susceptible to corrosion. thumb.gif

The Old one has been on the car for 19yrs and as you can expect the nuts are a tad rusty! laughing.gif

The bolts came out here!

b15tBuZl.jpg

Thanks to these old fellers! thumb.gif 7

aDc0LIQl.jpg

These were a tad uncooperative shocked.gif

DU8I3n7l.jpg
d7NedJSl.jpg

Not sure this was doing anything!

7ciJ28Gl.jpg

The rear mufflers were being a pain, however with my good leg pushing on one muffler and my hand on the other, a good push saw the exhaust snap in half thumb.gif

gaIcf41l.jpg
yZuM2sCl.jpg
tlngTIbl.jpg

Might throw it on ebay! laughing.gif wall.gif biggrin.gif

hEAa3Lpl.jpg

"slightly used"!

Weirdly she is quite quiet with no mufflers laughing.gif

Xfejo9Tl.jpg

I'll put a video together when the new Exhaust is on...

Chassis work tomorra! wave.gif

Being that the old exhaust is now in a skip and not actually attached, makes rustbusting otherwise inaccessible areas really quite simple thumb.gif

The main areas are where the rear mufflers sit, it is quite common for mud to sit here.

In my case 18yrs worth of sand and mud, being that she was a seaside car! laughing.gif

nWJYEAJl.jpg
6yGyVWpl.jpg
FTLogoel.jpg
CgqjIEDl.jpg

Cracking out the drill and wire brush, a few good passes saw all the mud and silt come off, revealing sound metal. thumb.gif

cPhiLysl.jpg
2vQMhKBl.jpg

next was a chemical attack, mechanical means can only get you so far!
Don't get this stuff on your hands for god sake. shocked.gif laughing.gif

t8bfqzvl.jpg

A good splash and a ice cold Pepsi later!

aWYIlitl.jpg
aT8nYFtl.jpg

Another go with the wire brush saw that drain hole get slightly bigger, worry not it isn't rotten! LOL
It will be cut out some love with a file made it less sharp and a coat of Zinc primer and Underseal was added biggrin.gif

7UVLvaTl.jpg
VMydflfl.jpg

Much better!! thumb.gif

Being that I had a fair tub of this underseal and some free time I threw a coat on the chassis and associated metal bits! thumb.gif

Even gave the axle a spruce up!

Befores.

lpIGL48l.jpg
o8oiPPXl.jpg
2yWW76pl.jpg

Afters

IcD6Hmol.jpg
kFJvhNzl.jpg
Jqn3HFEl.jpg
CiPyO2jl.jpg
lOVC1V1l.jpg

And for the banana on the cake I ordered up this air freshener.. thumb.gif

mEHlrbYl.jpg

And my god.... shocked.gif

It smells lovely, however it is maybe 100x stronger than one of them fangled trees form a petrol station lol thumb.gif

Looking forward to my new exhaust next week! car.gif

Having owned this bus for 3yrs give or take, i've always slapped on some fangled dressing onto the upper half of the doors. wink.gif

Reason being I thought they were porous plastic... laughing.gif

Today I used the Jack of all Trades "Autoglym SRP" and gave everything in sight a good rubbing! shocked.gif laughing.gif

The befores and 50/50 shows the difference.

zPVG6Ogl.jpg

50/50

Kq92294l.jpg

Complete

VV8jBMFl.jpg

t'other side!

JxNrMSDl.jpg

After!

ZjtVfwCl.jpg
3d8tUdZl.jpg

Door trims too!

MIpr600l.jpg
hk2qpzUl.jpg
X2OpdoKl.jpg

A complete side shot!

DbWQ48il.jpg
kfwjZl1l.jpg

The issue with LR plastics is they're naturally a "matt" complexion, i'm astounded some kind of shine came through laughing.gif

The Pic's are few and far between, mainly due to 30c and direct sunlight! redface.gif

I'll get more later!

For now it is one job off the list

Got my Janspeed today! ? 

Got it fitted too, what a ballache, anyone who complains about fitting an exhaust to a RRC can do a P38 one!!! 

No assembly pics as I was too busy swearing and sweating at it!! 

Befores of the old 'Zorst. 

Rear most view

osBE4uvl.jpg

Now the new'un!! :)

YXkCiBNl.jpg

1cT6t2al.jpg

vHSvCsLl.jpg

well happy.. 

sounds fruity too!! 

The finished article!! 

I've spent today fettling the exhaust and getting it to hang straight..

All securing bolts and clamps are now stainless steel too! argie.gif 

sounds very smart..
Not abnoxious like some who just had the mufflers cut off, it has a nice burble under acceleration, but it isn't intrusive.
When cruising it is very quiet, idling it has a nice v8 throb.

Giving it some welly, or putting it under loads yields a lovely noise! :)

Some time was also spent polishing it! devilflame.gif laughing.gif

Before

cgl44Yyl.jpg

After

b1SX6hQl.jpg

4O4pVwbl.jpg

I've taken her out for a hoon, and I can tell you it is much louder! biggrin.gif

Sounds like a Rover V8 should! biggrin.gif

I could be heard from miles off, apparently!

I will get a video tomorrow!

Hopefully!! laughing.gif

Cx2QKfYl.jpg
gC3vG98l.jpg
Zw868DCl.jpg

Smartens up the rear end quiet well i think! biggrin.gif

Right..

Exhaust noise!

This is a taster for the moment, as i darn't risk waking the neighbours that was just a blip to 2300rpm laughing.gif

https://youtu.be/BXUTWY6sJYg

Compared to before devilflame.gif redface.gif

https://youtu.be/4VJrvbD-TPY
https://youtu.be/qnWoKZIWYnk

Can ya hear the difference! devilflame.gif

Originally thanks to being incredibly over muffled it sounded like a slightly angry 4 cylinder or at a stretch a sickly V6 even though it had an All aluminium V8 under the bonnet you'd never of known unless over 4k confused.gif

Also spurred on by the fact the original was past it's best I scoured the internet, and was tempted and a keyboard click away from fitting a new "original" over muffled exhaust, when i remembered the Janspeed Gem a mate had sitting around! thumb.gif

With all the mufflers inplace the Janspeed system has a deep Bass which I love.

Some people opt to remove all silencers, and in this case while it sounds quite good the note is very tinny, the unending rattle/drone will get on anyone's nerves after a while devilflame.gif

The Janspeed doesn't drone at all, but it growls when asked!! devilflame.gif

Another issue was with the stock exhaust you had to get above 4000rpm before anything could really be heard, now at the best of times I don't want to thrash the old girl, and before I replaced the Cam and Tappets it wouldn't rev above 3.5k willingly anyway! redface.gif

After a cam replacement documented earlier in this thread it really woke this thing up and it does go well.

The upside to the Janspeed however is you don't need to hoon it to hear the V8

It rumbles with the slightest poke of the skinny pedal laughing.gif shocked.gif

Above 4k which i visit quite rarely lol it produces a glorious noise, it sings the legendary Rover V8 song biggrin.gif

Enough waffling!!!! laughing.gif

H

• 2 weeks later...

New track rod turned up today for the old bus, like everything for this P38 it came from Rimmer Bros, their OEM is MOOG which is nice..

I've not had much luck with cheaper suspension parts on this car! laughing.gif

New one..

WHsuZVZl.jpg

Love the look of new parts in the Mornin'! argie.gif

Wheels off!

0Nj6cyql.jpg
0dczwZsl.jpg

The old rod was cut off due to rust! those nuts weren't going anywhere lol biggrin.gif

cxyHZTWl.jpg
lpWaXFOl.jpg

To avoid the tracking going to the dogs, try and get the rod to the same length as the old one, assuming your tracking was ok to begin with! laughing.gif

In my case it was 54 inches exactly, buffer.gif

9s8Q6Vtl.jpg

New one was thrown on and the nuts tightened! thumb.gif

e6XUByNl.jpg

As you do I took her out for a good drive to see if there was any improvement, or a new problem! devilflame.gif

I'm happy to say it tracks straight and true, biggrin.gif

However with every good there must be a bad frown.gif

On my way home a pheasant decided to cross the road, however because they haven't got a brain it went into mid flight right infront on my car! censored.gif
The result was it hitting the corner of the bonnet and propelling at great velocity into my mirror, which in turn caused the glass to fly out! mad.gif

Not only that the bird came in my open window and missing my head by CM landed in the boot shocked.gif

What a fiasco wall.gif

So i pulled over and got the bird out, was tempted to keep it for sunday but eh wink.gif

My mirror glass was found in a grass verge and put back in, only downside being it cracked! confused.gif

Cbumd3vl.jpg

However not all bad!

I did get this pic after filling up! driver.gif

Just to prove it does move! smile.gif

N31ENxkl.jpg

H

• Cooper1 changed the title to Project "p38" Diary of a 2001 Range Rover - Much Breakage!

Fitted a new battery to it which went well.

She now holds a charge! car.gif

However I now have 2 new faults.

More EAS gremlins which made her plummet to the bumpstops, which meant I had to drive 30mi home with no suspension wall.gif

Valveblock rebuild time tumbleweed.gif

However I did get the the seaside for a break from 6 day work weeks laughing.gif

First Pic is her sharing the spaces with a Freelander 1 and 2 + a Tasty X5 laughing.gif

xUa4eRul.jpg

Next up are some random ones!

3gdEobgl.jpg

IXx5JK1l.jpg
W7VYJNml.jpg
vzP4eEjl.jpg
wyz53hfl.jpg

No people around lol

DgrWwJDl.jpg
6iLLmNUl.jpg

A silly moo in her l322 also shunted me up the **** when she was parallel parking, which has kinked my bumper all to hell

So have that to contend with aswell! mad.giflaughing.gif

Next up is regarding the wheel centre caps.. wink.gif

Mine had started to go a weird yellow.. laughing.gif

They let her down considering she has silver wheels! laughing.gif

Iec4QUgl.jpg

A nice new silver set to the rescue! argie.gif

FoN54Ozl.jpg

4CnE1tEl.jpg

And yes the wheels are slightly dirty from an escapade the day before driver.gif

I'm also tempted to remove the parking sensor from the rear! buffer.gif

n28dNSJl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some tidying up of my nice stainless exhaust is in order due to it being a little mank...

The befores show the tarnishing and dirt. lol

U8niD1kl.jpg
5Xyc8B7l.jpg
I2zmnNXl.jpg

A quick scrub up with some old MER polish I had lying around has heeded some good results wink

X6WNSQql.jpg
qSM5uW5l.jpg
a0ceg7Vl.jpg

And finally my favourite shots 

xn80mCtl.jpg
FHVLIHzl.jpg
C6rAvOZl.jpg
U51JjAKl.jpg

I can say without a shadow of doubt, that the singe exit pipes are my favourite for the P38, the Quad pipes look to garish to me and the stock mufflers look to tame!
The Janspeed system looks quite good in my opinion!

And finally the reason I've polished the pipes themselves!!

They are visible from underneath if you look in the right place, and they do look good when shiny!

nzwW8prl.jpg
4rLPVM2l.jpg 

Next task was some EAS maintenance! ;) 

A few things to catch up on with the old girl 

A seal kit arrived for my EAS valveblock which meant it had to come out!

4 bolts and 2 screws!

JLOcaQpl.jpg

The old valveblock itself!

HniJgwXl.jpg

The area around where the box sat was filthy as to be expected, a quick wipe over and it looks better!

mnghjCLl.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Valveblock rebuild itself was quite fiddly!

first off the desiccant in the air drier which can/will turn to dust and fill the Valveblock with white powder, which in the grand scheme of things will cause it to fall ass over ***!
New beads is cheap! 

2LU7dygl.jpg

Being I have short term memory loss it was imperative I was to label the valve solenoid caps and valvebody to ensure they go back in the right place!

cViqc2Vl.jpg

The drive pack was next, this was held on with 4 allen fasteners.

ORVLuPnl.jpg

The solenoid caps then come off, making sure they were placed in accordance to where they came off! 

XlFE2Vsl.jpg

The solenoids themselves were next, at this point a tinge of "I know why it's st" came over me when I was wiping away the black and white dust!
Alcohol wipe worked wonders! 

R4LDv1al.jpg

Brass collets out next - underneath them were 2 rubber O rings, rather easy to pull out and refit new!

CSMr7sHl.jpg
lpnWg4Zl.jpg

one this was done the I accidentally dropped half of them, so 30mins of my life i'll never get back was spent crawling around looking for them!  

I did get them!

Diaphragm next!

A well known issue and one mine was suffering with was the old bus didn't like rising from access mode, this is down to a leak from the storage side of the EAS system. a common point is the diaphragm!

Off with the block and the issue was apparent!

NsU31fPl.jpg
qititevl.jpg

Not very impressed!

Tmht1TXl.jpg

qk7JDAUl.jpg

Quite clearly destroyed, and flat on one side, plus the rubber was crumbling in my hand, not ideal! 

cap back on!

NRV's next!

Off with its cover!

VkD5WX3l.jpg

Cute aren't they! 

eWCzIVTl.jpg

Without them the EAS wouldn't work! New seals on the end and on the block....

Tji7ieZl.jpg

The cap back on! 

SJ4LQCdl.jpg

Hmm thats alot of bits! 

9GPMCTdl.jpg

The solenoids next with new O rings!

MGLrD97l.jpg

The solenoid caps back on with new seals! 

berh2nil.jpg

lk5Eucml.jpg

wy2CeRLl.jpg

And finally after a rub over, and the drive pack re-attached we have a rebuilt valveblock!   

Vj2xBVhl.jpg

Time to refit it! 

The cleaned box put back in!

BJ12Gc1l.jpg

Aaaand then it was taken back out as i remembered the valveblock has to be bolted into the box first DOH!! 

n9z6FQ3l.jpg

Back in again!

The pipes just push in!

y3Ei5qXl.jpg

Phew!

2F4dhbnl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing. 

On average over the past few months it has broken something on average of every 2 days.. 

I've gone almost a week without something falling off! 😱 👌

Been Hooning it around recently just for a bit of fun, through wales scared some GTi's and M cars when they see a near 2/7ton 4x4 bearing down and passing them! 

Average MPG makes for grim reading, around low 13s IIRC! 

Being as it costs around £120 to fill the tank i'm gonna start behaving! lol

15 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

amazing commitment there mate, id have thrown the towel in looooooooong time ago! lovely colour too :)

Thanks! 

Rampant blind commitment is the name of the game lol with the P38! ;) 

She is Monte Carlo Blue which is a BM colour IIRC, a legacy of when BMW owned LR!

Great old motor to drive!

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few weeks I've been having havoc thrown at me by the old P38  

The EAS has been playing up on the random basis, 

I went through the stages of checking wiring which turned up nothing! 

The next logical step was the driver pack, which is responsible for talking to the EAS ECU and actuating the solenoids on the valveblock..

So I removed it.

Uryd1vAl.jpg

The potting compound has/had turned to a chalky like material...

Not ideal..

SO a new 'un was fitted.

You can just about see it here!! 

0grhY1ml.jpg

After a test drive it seemed to be fixed........ 

And then I drove through a puddle "beep beep fault"  

So checking the codes it seemed to be unhappy with the RH height sensor soooo.... 

AGtNKrbl.jpg

It lives here!

2 bolts!

7DzaRycl.jpg

yf4Rgyul.jpg

Upon taking it apart I connected up my Multimeter and checked the resistance

FgM5reLl.jpg

being it's a potentiometer used as a potential divider. The actual resistance is pretty irrelevant, however it's the difference between one reading at one end of the scale and the other.
the resistance of the track is around 2 kOhms, so that is what I should of measured between the end two contacts. Between one of the end ones and the middle, at one end of the travel, I should of been seeing a low figure (200 Ohms), progressively rising as the sensor is moved through the travel up to close to 2 kOhms.

Ideally you should see 0 Ohms or very low at one end of the travel and almost the same as the full resistance of the track at the other end

Mine is 2.45 kOhms at one end and 1.18kOhms however if the arms is moved the resistance fluctuates between 1.18 and 0.68 kOhms 

So fairly conclusive! 

JUNK! 

Terrible pic but the new one was an easy fit

urZr7EHl.jpg 

All in all I hope that is the last of my EAS issues for a while!

My new compressor is working well, I've actually remembered to take a pic  

5ea6tRtl.jpg

Out and about the car seems quite happy 

DYr5CKyl.jpg

Excuse the dirt! 

• Cooper1 changed the title to Project "p38" Diary of a 2001 Range Rover - EAS musings!!
  • 3 weeks later...

Had some fun with the p38 a nice squeak appeared from what appeared to be the rear UJ.. 

A good squirt of Grease saw the unit quieten down again... ;)  

c6Gu7H7l.jpg

Good news comes in the form of the old bus hasn't broken in over 2 weeks YAY! 👌 

Sad I know!! lol 

I've had her going up and around the country dragging trailers for my Job and she's performed faultlessly, So i'm happy! 

Her MOT is due in march and being that I was under her greasing the UJ's I "Fixed" my Balljoint gayter ;) 

EJS945il.jpg

You wouldn't even know!!! ;)

Nowt real progress pics to upload at the moment, however here are some pic's of her annoying the neighbours ;)

GyxRlOkl.jpg 

Uj7FC4Cl.jpg

Best parking award 2020? 

7qz56Dol.jpg

Life would be so boring without a P38 lol 🤪

17 hours ago, Broadsword said:

So much excellent work and sheer commitment to the P38 cause, well done!

EDIT: Also, how did you manage to open the can for the EAS drier?

Thanks!

The Cap just twists off, being a Gorilla does help!

An oil filter removal tool can be used too, the soft strap type ;)  

Be careful though, as there is a spring under the cap!! ;)

3 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

I love that you’re putting all this effort into this old thing.  Everything I read in this thread should really be putting me off the one that keeps winking at me. But it hasn’t yet. I must be unwell.

Like scabies once they're under your skin they never come out! 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Snake oils eh! 

Checking the oil on the old bus showed it was just above Minimum, which is 800mil in 4000mi which isn't too bad for an old V8.. 

Looking on the line you have many choices of oil additive, one seems to sit head and shoulders above the rest,, 

This stuff..  

EWSWbBLl.jpg

according to the blurb on the back, it quietens noisy "lifters" and can help plug leaks. 

On Coldstart she does/did have a slight follower rattle so I gave it a shot.. 

Oil level/colour before. 

I1Zrpzbl.jpg

During 

SlPwUfbl.jpg

One thing to note is the consistency is akin to runny grease! very tacky too! ;) 

8izQMBal.jpg

Good news is after a few hundred miles with this stuff in the crankcase, the noisy top end when cold has all but gone, and it sounds quieter when hot too.. 

So that was £15 well spent, 3 quid cheaper than a litre of Castrol 10w60 too! 

Since I started a new Job i've also been given more free time, a 70hr week down to a 40hr one is quite a shock! ;) :) 

So on the way home I snagged in a stop to one of my favourite picnic stops.. 

VIsUp9Bl.jpg

pdTsip7l.jpg

dSz9ftkl.jpg

She doesn't really fit the garage queen stereotype surrounding the rangie, to be fair the L322 and L405 share the square root of jack with the P38 or Classic. 

If we use the DNA stats, the P38 is the last RR with true roots with the RRC ;)

Anyway! 

Also gave the drivers window an adjustment, the glass had started to pitch slightly and bind... 

Quite an easy fix, just involves removing the door card and giving a bolt an adjustmant.. 

The bolt circled allows the window mechanism to pitch one way or other, I guess it adjusts the wear out of the plastic runners! 

WjhI8G1l.jpg

That was an easy job! ;) 

Also replaced some Fir tree clips 

a9l3Gxil.jpg

ZPRNW5Ml.jpg

OCD makes me mad, not a fan of grey against the chicken soup beige.. ;)

Next up is a grey interior, it needs it!! ;)

• Cooper1 changed the title to Project "p38" Diary of a 2001 Range Rover - It works, Sort of....
On 11/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, Cooper1 said:

She doesn't really fit the garage queen stereotype surrounding the rangie, to be fair the L322 and L405 share the square root of jack with the P38 or Classic. 

If we use the DNA stats, the P38 is the last RR with true roots with the RRC ;)

Agreed.

I have a soft spot for the P38, although I don't have the time / ingenuity to keep one on the road like you do so I'll stick to my Classic for the mo 😉