Newbie owns a car.It's silver

Kowalski

Hello I'm Kowalski. I hail from Surrey but chased the Dragon and ended up in the West Midlands as that's where she and her family are from...

I have owned several cars, my favourites of which were a Citroen ZX and a Renault 25. Would love another of either now.  I do miss that 25...

I currently own some car. White goods. A 2009 Focus. It's neither new nor old nor interesting in anyway so I'll say no more about it. I hope to buy something older this year, something I can tinker with and talk about maybe...

So, some questions. What is Autoshite? A type of car or just a state of mind? Is there some criteria for a shite car? What's the gossip? Who is the know it all? Who.is the crazy that I shouldn't make eye contact with? I like your community and hope to become part of it.

22 hours ago, Kowalski said:

Who.is the crazy that I shouldn't make eye contact with?

Oh that's easy: Hairnet.  Don't worry, you won't be able to understand most of what he writes anyway.

As for the rest.. I think it's mostly a state of mind.  You will meet all sorts here, I mean just look at my fleet as an example!  I consider myself a recyclist, in that I like having old stuff that other people don't really want.  I have two cars bought through this very forum, both of which are currently up for Roffle (when you've been here a while you'll understand about those) and in between I ride a bike that I found in an alley and claimed.  The general idea seems to be that if the public don't want it, we probably do.

Can you trust my assessment?  Well I've been here nearly ten years, and messing with old cars a LOT longer, so you judge...

ETA: Kowalski was Barry Newman's character in Vanishing Point.

For some it’s a way of life, for some just a bad habit. A few have elevated autoshite to performance art and there’s one or two who I think are just doing it for a bet, or maybe a condition of their parole.

Autoshite is cars (and vans or trucks, even bikes if you’re strange) that people down the pub or Jeremy Clarkson fans say is crap.

A shite car was probably never cool, but if it once was then either it’s gone utterly out of fashion or it’s in such an unappealing spec or condition that someone says that the council must come and take it away, and everyone on Mumsnet agrees.

Rarity due to apathy is also a hallmark of shite.

None of these are rules, just my observations after ten years here. We don’t really like rules, except maybe ‘don’t be a git’. Generosity, integrity, real knowledge, wit and swearing are valued and widespread; arrogance, belligerence and dishonesty are not.

Welcome along, anyhow.  

None of us is really comfortable with eye contact, by the way.

8 minutes ago, HMC said:

Didn’t @Junkman develop a sort of pictogram relating modern, classic and shite? 

I know I did at one point a long time ago, I think while drinking, but I’ve got no idea where it is.

I’ll have a look tomorrow. It’s bedtime now cos I’ve got to be up early to get the Aerodeck MOTd.

Which reminds me - pop-up lights or headlamp wipers are a surefire way to win friends on here.

Hi and welcome to Autoshite

there are two options on 'cars to tinker with' namely those that never leave your driveway and those that can be daily drivers. There are probably inbetweenies that are the best of the former and the worst of the latter. 

Cars of the former type that you can spend hours on without actually going anywhere apart from collecting another the same to cannibalise for bits:

Citroen XM (cheap), Triple carb Alfa Montreal (expensive)

Basic daily drivers: Austin A35 or Hillman Minx (really basic), anything made by British Leyland (BL) (you might not need a car rug and overcoat when driving) Volvo 940 (just leave your brains in a bucket when you take it for a spin), get another Renault 25 or a 20 or a 19 or an 18 or a 17 etc.

I kook forward to reading your choices and adventures

16 minutes ago, HMC said:

Didn’t @Junkman develop a sort of pictogram relating modern, classic and shite? 

Here you go, I found it.

F653BB86-CE58-4032-82E7-B010EDF30C38.thumb.png.59b512d454bd780c8bf61b41b8947dc3.png

I think Junkman did something similar (later, I might add) but his had a big red line at 1986.

It’s just one perspective, it’s all up for discussion — and one we have fairly regularly, e.g. here: 

Welcome along.

As previously said, Autoshite is what ever you perceive it to be, there's no hard and fast rules round here of any sort really. Just enjoy what you drive and if you don't like what someone else has, well just be thankful it's not yours.

Obviously things can go very wrong if you start buying raffle tickets when you're drunk and end up winning a Perodua Nipper that's 250 miles away and you don't fit in the drivers seat. 

Oh and Focus'es / Foci are rapidly becoming shite, I had one for a bit last year and it was ultimatley forgetable but excellent at being "an car".

2 hours ago, Kowalski said:

Autoshite? A type of car or just a state of mind? Is there some criteria for a shite car?

Autoshite is a state of mind which is brought about by a type of car, and frequently the state of the car . The criteria for a shite car are fairly loose, as are most of the key parts of such a car. 

To me the Autoshite ethos seems two-fold: keeping interesting older vehicles on the road, and helping/encouraging others to do the same. 

Why have that shiny PCP’d Fiat 500 on the drive when for less than a bag of sand you could have a crusty Jag or some such.

On AS There’s the bangernomics side of things (keeping older white goods type cars on the road well beyond it being socially acceptable) and the love of the quirky and unloved. Many people run a modern and an unloved gem or 7, many people just run the bangernomics type vehicles. Some heroes daily drive the weird and wonderful everyday.

For me your Focus holds no particular interest. But the beauty of AS is that others will do. I mean FakeConcern wants to see pictures!!

But I will warn you... when I signed up to AS I had one car, it was  nearly new and fairly dull (a BMW 1-Series) I now own 6 cars, the newest of which is 22 years old and I recently bought a non-running Yugo just because... why not.

Best thing to do is get stuck in. It’s a fantastic community. Join in, go to events meet people. I’ve yet to meet a Shiter who’s a complete knob. And some Shiters I’m now lucky enough to count as friends.

Anyway it’s 1.48am, I can’t sleep and I’m getting soppy now... I’d best go off and bid blind on some festering heap on eBay...