420GSi Turbo - Interior; dry. Radiator; leaking. Further repairs; curtailed!

Austin-Rover

1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Nice :) A 2 litre turbo Rover is such a sleeper especially if the 420 badge happened to get replaced by a 414 badge.

How many miles did Barry put on it?

Last MOT Mileage 97,906 miles
Avg. Annual Mileage 3,800 miles
Mileage Last Year 4,358 miles

i didn't think that there was any of these left!

which is a sad thing cos they are an ace car.

when i started working one of the senior engineers had a white one as his company car, the rest of the company fleet was made up of p10 primera's which were ok, but i prefered the Rover, cos, well it was a Rover.

with time it got sent back and was replaced by an aldi A4, which wasn't half the car the Rover was.

i didn't much care for that thing.

I don't know if this was one of them , but John Towers' wife, Beth had at least one silver 420 Turbo. I think she changed cars every 3 or 4 months, in common with most car company ' management cars'.

I found it ironic that she loved 400s because she was quite badly injured when she bounced her 416Gti off the tunnel walls on the M45 to M1 slip road in about 1991- that car wasn't a Rover owned car, rather her company car at the firm we both worked at, at the time. Last time I saw her, which was about 4 years ago she had a Supercharged Rangie.

Have a question.. is that not a gti turbo? It hasn’t got the black gsi interior.. it’s got the grey gti.

It also is listed on dvla as a 420 - not a 420 GSI Turbo.

(And has SEI alloys on it)

What engines in it? M or T series?

I aren’t doubting anything you say about it however a few things are a bit odd about it.

Had more then a few of these and wished I hadn’t broke / sold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its exactly as it should be. There's two versions of the GSi Turbo, this being the earlier one with the 'lightning' seat fabric with grey leather. It's the T Series engine.

Good stuff. Please don’t think I’m trying to dampen your new buy. It’s a great motor. I was just so interested as there’s so very few of them left.

I’ve had a 220GTI and a 220GTI turbo, I think two GSI Turbos and about four or five conversions. I’ve even had a 220GSI that was incorrectly log booked as a GTI, which was odd. DVLA at the time (probably 2005) weren’t interested in me wanting to change it.

T series is a bloody heavy lump but very reliable I found. They always, always benefit from a new coolant temp sensor and I’ve not found one yet with a genuine cam cover gasket that didn’t leak.

Good luck, I’m not sure if I can but if you need anything give me a shout. I used to help moderate the old Rovertech.net forum in the good old days..

...the later 420 Turbo also lost the front fog lamps. Miserable buggers!

Re; the leaky T Series thing. This is quite bad, and one of the reasons it'll be going to the garage sooner rather than later. I have an 820 with a 'normal' rate of leakage that doesn't make a mess, really.

3 hours ago, 155V6 said:

Fantastic!.My ex had a brand new one from work when she had to go on a course ,& I got to drive it.It was a bit different from the 3 litre Granada I had at the time ?

A Granada and a 420 you say ?

49310796058_cd628695e5_z.jpg
49311392581_804e39c7b6_z.jpg

Very few photos of this but many hours spent grinning like an idiot.

...the later 420 Turbo also lost the front fog lamps. Miserable buggers!
Re; the leaky T Series thing. This is quite bad, and one of the reasons it'll be going to the garage sooner rather than later. I have an 820 with a 'normal' rate of leakage that doesn't make a mess, really.

They seem to suffer from leaky corner (ns/front) at the headgaskets but it’s simply down to poor design of the oil gallery in that corner. I’ve seen people try and add some copper brake pipe into that corner between the head and block that’s sorted it. The multilayer gaskets do alleviate it a bit.

I always throw the cam gasket in the bin (big huge flat thing) and use hylomar blue. It’s not pretty but does the job.

Cam seals can be fun too. All the above do come with a gasket set though.

Cannot stress a new CTS enough. Especially for poor mpg and lumpy idle.

Much win - would love to get behind the wheel of a turbot T-series Rover. Will be watching this with much interest.

Really could do with doing the cambelt on my SLi N/A - perhaps we could make a day* of it and do them side by side, as I'm a cambelt change virgin. You could give me some handy tips ! I'll bring cake.

Great stuff. The ultimate sleeper. Did they do much marketing with these? At the time I guess it was a “gentleman’s express” in Rover’s (very aspirational) early 90s eyes; but to us now it’s a q car and big contrast to the giffer image that a 400 had.

• 4 weeks later...

The drying out continues; I've run a strip of tape along the top of the rear window and - as a temporary measure - seem to have stopped water entering the cabin there. It's a window-out job ultimately. No leaks apparent from any of the sunroof components. Since the last update, it became apparent that to speed things up, the front seats were going to have to come out, along with the carpet and foam pads underneath. Saturated foam pads are HEAVY! This car'll be even quicker when it's dried out! ?

1302194293_12thJan20(1).thumb.jpg.2c73bbfdaf5de8c1d5abfd242e005d73.jpg

582715374_12thJan20(2).thumb.jpg.a7d9a1eb5173f700ae66493c51a9ca4e.jpg

In other developments, I've started cleaning up the removed interior plastic parts ready for reassembly. Take a look at this grab handle to give you an idea of just how gross the inside of the car is!

2134309205_12thJan20(4).thumb.jpg.b9a86256626f0a674c23d5c92a5aa6f5.jpg

Have you removed the metal strip with the rust on it ? It just needs the screws removing and then you can see if the rear window aperture has rust on it,  If you can see black foam the window could well be original,  If the foam is not present and or damaged it might have had a replacement at some point, 

The front screen top seal was always a hard rubber/plastic and would chafe through the paintwork causing rust at the front,  

Also the front screen side trims are clipped on to the bodywork and if the screen has been replaced but the clips on the side trims not then that can cause water ingress, 

Personally I would be checking the front screen at the top because of the obvious rust that is showing first, 

The rear screen has trims that are clipped on with many different types of clip all the way around, the bottom ones go through the bodywork iirc,  they came new with foam seals on them but the seals could well have turned to dust by now, I've spent many an hour in the boot of a 400 whilst it was being hosed with water from the outside, 

Also I would remove all the door cards to check the plastic membranes as they can shrink which will let in water, or might be damaged by someone who worked on the door, I've seen many membranes that have just been punched through or cut ,

That should give you plenty to be getting on with for now, hope my advice is helpful,  

And I'm not in one bit envious of your TURBO Rover,  it's a lovely motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate how's it going i really like the 420 turbo that you have recently purchased. I just wanted to ask would you be interested in selling it? I also have a rover 620 turbo in very good condition just had near £2000 spent on it that i can p/x if you prefer or just cash if you are willing to sell thank you.