Fiat Croma Owna (+ other car related occurrences)

jmsguzzi

18 minutes ago, Bstardchild said:

Definately ^ WD40 is rubbish for idle control valves that are sticky

If you don't have an ultrasonic bath and some solvent - manual method is normally quite effective

Remove it - 50% fill with carb cleaner

Fingers over holes - agitate for a few mins

Drain - note colour of liquid removed

Repeat until carb cleaner coming out after agitation is nearly same colour as new stuff going in

Unbeknownst to me we’ve had carb cleaner in the garage for the guzzi this whole time, so I’ll try cleaning it again on Monday. Also bought a multimeter today to check if there’s actually power getting to it.

1 hour ago, jmsguzzi said:

Unbeknownst to me we’ve had carb cleaner in the garage for the guzzi this whole time, so I’ll try cleaning it again on Monday. Also bought a multimeter today to check if there’s actually power getting to it.

They are effectively a stepper motor - people clean the valve end with spray cleaners but don’t realise that the motor and commutator are also exposed - hence the 50 % fill up and agitate process - they were notoriously shit on senators and carlton 12v & 24v engines having normally done 100 k miles without being touched - proper clean and they are good for another 100k

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, omegod said:

There was a Croma buried, and I mean fooking buried in an old yard near me, put up pics of any unotanium trim stuff and I'll see what I can scavenge for you , I'll likely get cut up I'll take one for the team.  

True hero, off the top of my head there’s a cover to the right of the steering wheel that’s missing and this scuttle trims knackered anarl. I’m not desperate for em though if it’s a PITA to get to!

C3F67A49-05F7-4679-99F3-D82043C409B9.jpeg

5A5ADDFE-A3BC-4650-9118-BAE59EAFB0FA.jpeg

Only just spotted this. You're living the dream if this is your almost first car and you're only twenty three. I can only assume you have to beat away all the interested ladies  with large balls of pizza dough. 

I still have a lasting memory of being in the back of a Croma in Brittany in about 1990. I was mid teens and on a French exchange. It seemed a pretty rapid car at the time and would have been only a couple of years old I guess. I still can't believe yours looks so tidy despite its age. What a find. 

On 2/4/2020 at 11:21 PM, cobblers said:

Not much of a fail really, two 75p bulbs, a £3 wiper blade, swap the spare tyre on and  spend £2 on the jet wash at tesco to clear some of the oil off.

Jet wash did nowt trust me, oil leak was a head off reskimming job, I was advised by two trusted mechanics not to bother. Common problem on these apparently.

Had the Croma into a mechanic today because the steering rack was hanging on for dear life by only one bolt. Had a few more issues diagnosed properly, I definitely need a new idle control valve which is simple enough, plenty on eBay. I also need to source a new Speedo transducer and washer motor which is proving a little more difficult, can any shiters help out??

203B0C6A-C9B3-4A38-AD0D-499A7AE73162.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to get the Croma running as a useable daily. It’ll sometimes throw a fit when idling and drop down to 600rpm or so but a blip of the throttle seems to sort that. A new eBay sourced idle control valve seemed to be faulty, luckily it was refunded and I can make do with the old unit for now. Anyway I went out with my new Pentax and accidentally* managed to use a whole roll of film on it!

FA983803-71DF-4863-B5A2-A547CD2ADC1B.jpeg

557E5A08-6E22-4558-8A52-6AADF2DC65EB.jpeg

1124A879-6D28-4C60-8A23-F7E255270ED9.jpeg

D040175C-76B2-4D14-B48C-1B213EFD3CEC.jpeg

E35E3417-6E38-4EF6-BED5-4A853E1428D7.jpeg

74F5138D-D1B4-4A5E-800C-2EC9DBDDB7EC.jpeg

39B83388-8A5A-40EE-9B81-1EE02A748D40.jpeg

0D14E8D6-8CD2-4CBF-B222-4DC0E51F0251.jpeg

4E0E7B8D-F574-4925-8721-8B872317A5C5.jpeg

2 hours ago, RobT said:

I love this thread.

Taking photos of your 1988 Fiat Croma with a Pentax has a winning quality about it too (in my mind they are a bygone brand, but evidently not after a quick search).

The Pentax is actually how I came to own the Car. Won the camera on ebay and when I went to collect it this was outside, belonged to the camera sellers deceased Dad!

• 1 month later...

Washers haven’t worked since I got it, nothing from the motor, track down new old stock bottle with motor, fit it, still nowt, faff on taking off the wheel to have a mess about with the stalks, still nowt, refit old motor that I’d previously tried everything to get to work....

Bingo!

IMG_3229.MOV

11 hours ago, Dabooka said:

Just caught up on this thread, and it's been a great read for a great find. Hope you get the washer working.

Where in Sunderland are you? Just roughly, I'm not going to stalk the Chroma. ?

I'm in Seaburn!

Looks like the vid of my washers working only shows up properly on mobile.