Live attempted rescue.

Cavcraft

Sadly, we couldn't get it going. Looks like the starter has finally given up the ghost, which is a shame, especially as my son (who, as ever, is the brains and experience and grafter) spent a couple of hours or so on it.  We had hoped that reconnected it could be jumped into life (no keys) but to no avail, though we had fun trying. Next step is the owner is going to get it moved into position so it can be ready to be dragged off. I was never going to buy it for myself, just trying to sort it for a fellow shiter's dad. Hoping a CF fan will take it on (even just for spares) but if no joy then sadly it'll probably go to scrap. In an ideal world, the body should be taken off and sold along with the winch etc, but I cant see that happening and we don't want to turn his garden into a breaker's yard.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be, get in touch and I'll help out where I can, including dealing with the owner who's a lovely old lad and any money will go directly to him.

Whereabouts is it@Cavcraft

I'd be interested in the winch....?? If it works....what make is it?

Re putting it back into use this would/could only be done if it were a labour of love. 

I went down the route originally of running an older truck and god it is not fun. I had an old LDV and then after that a turbo'd smiley faced transit. Both were absolute dogs and looked very pikey. 

Third time lucky, I built the Sprinter converting it from a fridge van and even now it still handles 70/80 no trouble on the motorway.

10 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Whereabouts is it@Cavcraft

I'd be interested in the winch....?? If it works....what make is it?

Re putting it back into use this would/could only be done if it were a labour of love. 

I went down the route originally of running an older truck and god it is not fun. I had an old LDV and then after that a turbo'd smiley faced transit. Both were absolute dogs and looked very pikey. 

Third time lucky, I built the Sprinter converting it from a fridge van and even now it still handles 70/80 no trouble on the motorway.

It's near Chester and very close to M53 and M56. The winch is a Warn, I had one years back on my 609D recovery truck and they'd pull a house down. The good news is that works (we ran a battery to it and it turned, albeit slowly) so that's a possible goer. Was quite tempted to take it off (though I didn't see the wander lead) and buy it off them, but quite happy to see if they'll take an offer on it if you want it? There's a couple of what look like 15mm or 17mm bolts which look a bit of a bastard to get to, but with patience, WD40 and long arms they might just crack off. A small portable angle grinder (have one here) might shift them, assuming there's enough room.

As for the whole thing going back on the road, it's probably too much hassle. Weirdly some bits look if not rock solid, at least much better than I expected, but I doubt it'll see action again.

10 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’d guess dragging it would cause it to fold in half? 

I honestly don't think so, it doesn't seem quite that bad at the moment. I wouldn't want to tow it on the open roads, but it should drag to where it can be loaded without any drama.

22 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Sadly, we couldn't get it going. Looks like the starter has finally given up the ghost, which is a shame, especially as my son (who, as ever, is the brains and experience and grafter) spent a couple of hours or so on it.  We had hoped that reconnected it could be jumped into life (no keys) but to no avail, though we had fun trying. Next step is the owner is going to get it moved into position so it can be ready to be dragged off. I was never going to buy it for myself, just trying to sort it for a fellow shiter's dad. Hoping a CF fan will take it on (even just for spares) but if no joy then sadly it'll probably go to scrap. In an ideal world, the body should be taken off and sold along with the winch etc, but I cant see that happening and we don't want to turn his garden into a breaker's yard.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be, get in touch and I'll help out where I can, including dealing with the owner who's a lovely old lad and any money will go directly to him.

Be a shame to scrap* - source a starter and try again. Vehicles always feel better running and are more easily assessed. It's a good combination Tax exempt and recovery be a shame to lose that status by scrappage**

*said he sat in the warm sipping coffee.

**no DVLA identity change condoned.

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

Could it be started by towing it? I imagine it should fly out the door on ebay. 

Maybe, it's just in an impossible position to get to it with anything other than a tractor, at the moment. The ignition would probably need hot wiring too, as the keys I found don't seem to be for this thing. It'd be absolutely magic if it'd fire into life, it has to be said.

A thought... with more air in the tyres, would it roll? If so, could you power up its own winch and use that (with perhaps a ground anchor) to manouvre it to a place more convenient for recovery? Alternatively could you use another winch to do the same? Having done a bit of green-laning with @Six-cylinder in the past, a decent winch and long tow chain seem to be able to move anything to anywhere.

Of course, if there is a tractor available nearby or a hefty 4WD and a tow rope, then that may be easier.

Seems an interesting vehicle to rescue.