Kiltox’s YouTube Shenanigans - 28/12/2023 - BRING OUT YOUR TAT

Kiltox

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

Was eying up a cheap set of wheels and tyres on eBay - figure I could sell these (the tyres are good) and recoup most of my money.  Might not have time for such shenanigans though. 

Was cheaper for me to buy 4 alloys with tyres for the old Zafira than 1 and 3/4 tyres cost. I then sold the old wheels and fucked tyres for £70

Starting to think the steering fault is a minor one and a red herring. To quote @rantingYoof’s roffle thread 

but she wants any prospective roffler to know that you get a wheel dragging when the car is doing a full-lock manoevre

I did a bit of a traffic light GP launch earlier and got nothing apart from a load of thumping from the front (proper full on clunking / thumping, not just wheel spin) - fucked driveshaft(s) / CV joint(s)??

It did very similar when I was creeping around the work car park on full lock, which is why I think it’s related....

11 hours ago, Kiltox said:

I probably won’t do anything about the wheels given the turnaround times at play here but it would take years off the car which is otherwise in decent condition. 

Looks to me like the usual polished alloy Laquer crack followed by corrosion under the laquer

Get a strip disk on it to remove the laquer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Poly-Strip-Disc-Abrasive-Wheel-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-For-Angle-Grinder/362835666813

and a quick polish up with solvol on a wool or cotton pad

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-100mm-4-Inch-Round-Wool-Buffing-Pad-Polishing-Wheel-Felt-Buffer-Disc-Set/25380008104

and I reckon they'd look a shit load better for buttons ( OK bit of electric and £15 ish - you have some stock for the nezt few sets )

7 hours ago, Bstardchild said:

Looks to me like the usual polished alloy Laquer crack followed by corrosion under the laquer

Get a strip disk on it to remove the laquer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Poly-Strip-Disc-Abrasive-Wheel-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-For-Angle-Grinder/362835666813

and a quick polish up with solvol on a wool or cotton pad

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-100mm-4-Inch-Round-Wool-Buffing-Pad-Polishing-Wheel-Felt-Buffer-Disc-Set/25380008104

and I reckon they'd look a shit load better for buttons ( OK bit of electric and £15 ish - you have some stock for the nezt few sets )

I might need to try this on the worst one that is so bad I can’t possibly make it worse!

Fuck polishing them! they're deeply pitted so it'll take ages to get them anywhere near good, and uncovered aly will end up furry again in about a fortnight.

Just buff the faces flat with a 120 grit flap wheel on an angle grinder, leave the wheel on the car and spin it up with the angle grinder while you do it for an even finish, then just lash some alloy silver and lacquer over them.

5 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I don’t think so, my money would be either the pump or the rack. Have you checked the fluid? It’s a bit of a pig to check on those. 

Why would the pump or rack cause massive thumping in the drivetrain and a reluctance to put power down when trying to go forwards in a straight line at a decent lick?

I am suspecting that the steering issue and the issues with “wheels dragging” are unrelated - it steers absolutely fine but thumps/clunks on full lock sometimes in the same way it does if you try to give it the beans from a standstill. 

8 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

Would that cause the PAS warning light? Or do you think that's a separate issue, gauze filter, dirty fluid or something?

I’m starting to think there are two unrelated issues which have been assumed to be connected 

As soon as I either find my GoPro or my knock off one arrives from Amazon I’ll set about checking the fluid etc. 

The driveshaft could be fucked as well but I still think the steering issue is the pump. It’s impossible to say without covering the basics off like whether there’s enough fluid in the system or if the battery is failing. 

As for the driveshaft I’d make doubly sure it is that CV joint, these have a habit of seizing on to the hub carrier meaning it’s a strut out job and put it on the press.