Kiltox’s YouTube Shenanigans - 28/12/2023 - BRING OUT YOUR TAT

Kiltox

46 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Have you had a chance to look at the spark plugs? These are the 'washer water pooling round the plugs' years I think; just wondered if the plugs are removable or stuck firm ref future raffle!

Wasn’t as much an issue on the 1.8/2.0, it was the 1.4/1.6 that usually suffered with this. Sometimes it’s the washer jets other times it’s the core plugs in the cylinder heads rusted through. Bigger issue on the 1.8 was the oil control rings failing, usually manifesting itself in smoke and a consequent MOT fail. That’s what sees most 1.8 Focus/Mondeo off. 2.0 less prone to it though.

58 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Have you had a chance to look at the spark plugs? These are the 'washer water pooling round the plugs' years I think; just wondered if the plugs are removable or stuck firm ref future raffle!

I had a Fiesta that had this problem with the 1.4 but with the size of the covers over the 1.8 I seriously doubt this would happen to it. 

it’s proper modern car “more cover than engine” stuff 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Wasn’t as much an issue on the 1.8/2.0, it was the 1.4/1.6 that usually suffered with this. Sometimes it’s the washer jets other times it’s the core plugs in the cylinder heads rusted through. Bigger issue on the 1.8 was the oil control rings failing, usually manifesting itself in smoke and a consequent MOT fail. That’s what sees most 1.8 Focus/Mondeo off. 2.0 less prone to it though.

That's super interesting as I'm vaguely considering a 2 litre focus. Did ford fix the 1.6 water leaking on the mk2.5 do you know?

2 hours ago, ChampionRabbit said:

That's super interesting as I'm vaguely considering a 2 litre focus. Did ford fix the 1.6 water leaking on the mk2.5 do you know?

Yeah they’re not a bad unit the 2.0, Mazda based engine. Keep changing the oil and it shouldn’t give you any trouble. Manifold brackets at the back of the engine can fracture giving a bit of a funny noise. Flex on them is a separate unit unlike the manifold/flex on other Fords. Not bad on fuel either unlike the old Zetec E unit in the Mk1. Relatively unwanted as well due to £260 tax. Look past that and they’re not bad at all to run, reckon on easy 45mpg on motorway, 33-34 commuting. 

The later Mk2.5 1.6 had the coil per cylinder set up, don’t know if it solved the issue of screenwash escaping. Still the core plugs can become porous through corrosion AFAIK.

It's unlikely to be causing this issue I reckon but the canbus fault your reader found can be caused by dry solder joints on the main connector for the clocks. It's a common fault on Mk2 Focuses and related cars like the Tourneo Connect and CMax, it's quite easy to remove the clocks, take them apart and re-do all the joints with a soldering iron. My brother's CMax was giving all sorts of random faults, only took me an hour or so to perform the fix. Might be worth doing before the pump if the replacement sensor doesn't fix the problem.

1 minute ago, Rave said:

It's unlikely to be causing this issue I reckon but the canbus fault your reader found can be caused by dry solder joints on the main connector for the clocks. It's a common fault on Mk2 Focuses and related cars like the Tourneo Connect and CMax, it's quite easy to remove the clocks, take them apart and re-do all the joints with a soldering iron. My brother's CMax was giving all sorts of random faults, only took me an hour or so to perform the fix. Might be worth doing before the pump if the replacement sensor doesn't fix the problem.

Useful information, thanks a lot. I am suspecting that the generic canbus fault is actually a side effect of my dodgy knock off code reader rather than any fault worth taking seriously but that is definitely an interesting angle I haven’t seen before. 

Yeah as I say it most likely isn't the cause here, indeed it can apparently be a bugger to diagnose because the problem isn't anything to do with the ECU and so often no fault codes are stored. My brother's car was claiming gearbox faults (it's an auto). Indeed we changed his battery before I had the glimmer of a memory that dodgy clocks can cause problems and went and googled it, and found a youtube video of how to perform the repair. Still it's something any Mk2 Focus owner should be aware of I reckon! And if it can cause spurious gearbox faults to show and put the car into limp mode, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it could do the same for the PAS.