Kiltox’s YouTube Shenanigans - 28/12/2023 - BRING OUT YOUR TAT

Kiltox

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

This is a tidy thing though, and I’m looking forward to getting it working 100%. It is losing water at a decent rate. @gadgetgricey K-Sealed it but it still carries on. Doesn’t seem to overheat mind if you keep it topped up!

467301AA-5257-41A8-9AB9-B0C78CFDDC53.thumb.jpeg.0e57fbf47097e75fe9e294df27354615.jpegB4AA3BDB-4BE6-4342-AE9D-248786EB12A9.thumb.jpeg.113676f6403b0b03dbf94a38e6185727.jpegBC307B5D-9F01-4FEA-8E19-BD948547E5C6.thumb.jpeg.bd401d20d0dab5273fd63352226b749b.jpeg07BCBD6E-D67D-4583-8213-A1241B083530.thumb.jpeg.8c5af3f12bef01ad6dd4e93b215aefbd.jpeg3D8FF4B1-7705-46BD-9553-C64DEF7F103C.thumb.jpeg.e66255c4660342d397a2c2beeb68e203.jpeg

I did a sniff test on it before I brought it home and it was showing the presence of combustion gases in the coolant. 

I don't think I would have bothered with the sniff test looking at the state of that expansion tank. 

Awaiting the video of HG replacement, thoroughly enjoyed @Mr_Bo11ox shenanigans with k series hgf misery.

1 minute ago, bigfella2 said:

I don't think I would have bothered with the sniff test looking at the state of that expansion tank. 

Awaiting the video of HG replacement, thoroughly enjoyed @Mr_Bo11ox shenanigans with k series hgf misery.

It’s K Seal all over the tank, not mayo. 

I’m not particularly looking forward to it having never done a job like that before :D 

Nice, that. I didn't know the CVT was used on the 200 series, thought it was a conventional auto on these.

Any chance of a closeup of that original front numberplate please? It appears to have been sold by SMC Uxbridge, same as my 45, and your plate is less faded than mine!

Watching with interest.

10 hours ago, Kiltox said:

It’s K Seal all over the tank, not mayo. 

I’m not particularly looking forward to it having never done a job like that before :D 

I just did you a lovely 'how to' picture guide! I think the only special bits you need are a size 12 reverse Torx socket and a little cam locking tool off Ebay.

You might want to think about a head skim, depending what it looks like once you're in there.

btw I thought the 1.6 engines were Honda. Did they swap to a K at some stage?

3 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

I just did you a lovely 'how to' picture guide! I think the only special bits you need are a size 12 reverse Torx socket and a little cam locking tool off Ebay.

You might want to think about a head skim, depending what it looks like once you're in there.

I’m hoping it doesn’t need a skim because that’ll be pretty difficult with us on lockdown - fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

Oh it’s a CVT alright :D  it’s not in 100% health either. Drives alright but has some weirdness going on at idle and when changing between reverse and drive. 

Will definitely try to get some snaps of the plate - are you going to try and get reproduction ones made for your 45?

I'd like to, yes!

I'm no expert on these gearboxes but it seems from reading up on them, they're not very tolerant of low fluid level and/or dirty filters. They also have to have CVT fluid rather than normal ATF, so if anyone's topped up with ATF it could cause issues! The fluid also needs changing every 20000 miles or two years.

7 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

I'd like to, yes!

I'm no expert on these gearboxes but it seems from reading up on them, they're not very tolerant of low fluid level and/or dirty filters. They also have to have CVT fluid rather than normal ATF, so if anyone's topped up with ATF it could cause issues! The fluid also needs changing every 20000 miles or two years.

Useful info, thanks. I’ll need to look into a fluid change.

It’s as if the transmission doesn’t recognise you’re stopped and tries to pull away quite hard - you need to plant your foot pretty firmly on the brakes when stopped. Also shunts quite hard between D and R. 

1 hour ago, N Dentressangle said:

There's a guy just north of Gloucester a mate used for his a couple of months ago. I can find name / nr if you need it.

If you get stopped you can always say it's medical, and you're going to see someone because there's something wrong with your head.

Any tips on flushing the shite out the cooling system? KSeal in this case :( 

15 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Useful info, thanks. I’ll need to look into a fluid change.

It’s as if the transmission doesn’t recognise you’re stopped and tries to pull away quite hard - you need to plant your foot pretty firmly on the brakes when stopped. Also shunts quite hard between D and R. 

Here you go - assuming it's the same CVT as the Rover 45/ZS/MGF, which it should be as I think it was the only one they offered.

https://www.carservicepacks.co.uk/product/mg-cvt-servicekit/

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

K seal screws k series engines. It blocks all the water channels. High pressure water needed to blast all the gunk out. Or fixing it will be a pointless exercise.

I never considered K sealing mine for this reason.

Some folk try DW tablets, but I wondered whether that would be a bit harsh on an alloy engine.

I've gone for initial treatment of washing powder and degreaser. I'll drain it in the next day or two, flush it with water and re-fill with Holts Radflush. We'll have to see if it needs another bottle of Radflush before I finish with antifreeze mix.

3 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

K seal screws k series engines. It blocks all the water channels. High pressure water needed to blast all the gunk out. Or fixing it will be a pointless exercise.

I don’t think it’s faired that badly - it doesn’t overheat and the heater still works etc if you keep the water topped up.  Only really the sniff test result that makes me think it actually has OMGHGF rather than a leak - I drove it back from Birmingham-ish no problem. 

15 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Nice. Seems a bit salty though - is CVT oil really expensive or are the filters unobtanium? 

Still - I’ll definitely do it when everything else is sorted!

https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/how-to-cvt-gearbox-oil-change.268588/

+

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-1L-UNIPART-CVT-FLUID-OIL-FORD-ROVER-M2C166-H-GUL1201-5-litres-5L/250811122195?hash=item3a65820213:g:9BsAAMXQsmFRfVj-

would be my opening gambit for cheaps.