Idiot Buys 1968 Citroen h van, wants to convert drums to discs

PhilMcCrakin

FFS.... I was working on repairing hole in the roof. And discovered this mess. Looks it has all been held together with filler and fibreglass. Nothing to weld to so building a support strut that I will attach to front roof and rear section bulkhead, inside the van. I don't have a bender so cut the box section and achieved the correct roof curve one for each side will spot weld it to the roof. And bolt it to the bulkhead.

I'm also going to create a drain hole to stop water collecting in the gutter and the rot happening again. 

IMG_20200204_171529.jpg

IMG_20200204_171605.jpg

IMG_20200204_171517.jpg

IMG_20200204_171551.jpg

IMG_20200204_171556.jpg

I have to say, that V8 does somehow just look ‘right’ in there.
And well done on the enjoying fixing previous messy work like that.
I’ve nothing against fixing rusty old metal, but I prefer it to be original rusty old metal. Bodge jobs like that make me lose interest in things fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found Rally Design helpful in the past, useful range of stuff and reasonably priced.

Looking at the Dutch disc brake conversion they have designed new hubs which they surely wouldn't have done without good reason.  The chap on the blue forum who put discs on his H appears to have machined the Citroen hubs to suit.  He says clearances are very tight, but he won't say exactly what parts he used, or how .  He seems to be an experienced hot rod builder and I think he is being sensible - either he is not entirely happy with the conversion, or he doesn't want incompetent people trying to do it and creating something unsafe.   So it is probably not going to be easy.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update on the van, roof still giving me grief. Had to replace the side box section on both sides of the van ran the full length of the van. Removed the rotten gutters and then welded, welded, welded. Then filled sanded, filled, sanded, filled, sanded. Primered, sanded, filled, Primered, sanded, Primered etc etc etc. Had a couple of tins of gold hammerite knocking about so mixed them at 3 to 1 and sprayed the underside of the roof to seal it. Another bit of sanding and then spray the roof an off white. Hardest part was getting the curve right. 

IMG_20200507_202513.jpg

IMG_20200507_202603.jpg

IMG_20200507_202450.jpg

IMG_20200505_201307.jpg

IMG_20200507_202444.jpg