New winter hack - cheap and Swedish

wesacosa

After my long term daily Saab 9-5 Aero HOT was sadly written off by some dopey Kia driver in November I had decided that I could make do with my other halfs Mini and my 94 Skoda Favorit and didn't need another car just yet

So today I picked up this

Friend of a friend's elderly mother told to pack in driving and was looking for an easy and quick sale.  One owner from new, 85k , FSH . 2.0 petrol auto. fully specced up. All very nice and not too bad on fuel considering.  Only fly in the ointment is a months MOT and an overdue cambelt. Was done at 60k but that was in 2010

Anyone done a belt on one of these? Wonder if it's within the scope of a home enthusiastic car fiddler

cheers

IMG-20191218-WA0010.jpg

6 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

Always liked these, think that shape has aged gracefully.

yeah its a nice looking car. An unusual green/grey colour depending which light you look in and lovely cream leather . I always fancied a V70 classic but these are nice and a lot cheaper.

1 hour ago, loserone said:

I've been thoroughly offensive about these for a long time, but that one looks like it has its precise niche.  Cheap, ex-OAP, auto, petrol.  Ideal.

Love it.

probably wouldn't have been my choice but my commute is so miserable just want something cheap reliable and comfortable with room for the dog in the back. If I can sort out the cambelt cheaply it should do the trick

• 3 weeks later...

I am at my fecking wits end with this stupid cambelt.  Three days solid so far.

I get the belt on, central on all pulleys idler and tensioner. Tension it up as per the procedure , bar it over all marks line up.

Then as soon as I start the car the belt wanders down to the back of all of the pulleys so it's running level with the rear face rather than in the center

I have had the belt on and off four times and reset the tension (mechanical tensioner) about ten time and every time the same thing, as soon as it starts up it wanders down to the back faces

I am tearing my hair out. Anyone seen anything like this before

20200119_131349.jpg

20200119_130007.jpg

17 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Unless it’s hanging over the edge I’d say that was fine.

more of a worry as to why its sitting differently, you can see from the marks on the pulley the old belt ran much more centrally.   Swapped the old tensioner in last night and still the same, suggesting its the idler or the belt. Will swap in the old idler tonight.  If nothing fixes it I might try just running for few hundred miles and checking for any movement or damage to the belt

I am seriously beginning to wish I had never laid eyes on this car, or at least not tried to change the cambelt.

As soon as I start the engine the belt leaves black marks all over the idler and tensioner pulleys.  Not surer if it is some kind of release agent from the belt manufacturing process or if the belt is faulty and the running over the pulleys is degrading the rubber. I have literally only idled the engine for 2 mins and both pulleys have gone black.

Its a Contitech belt kit , not an ebay special. Bought from Mister-Auto (who are owed by PSA) but surely I shouldn't be having bits of the belt marking up the pulleys already

This belt change is starting to break me .  Due to the weather, work and dark nights not to mention all the problems is getting on for 3 weeks now and I still cant see an end in sight

in the picture you can see the idler pulley after about 30 second running and the new belt on the right versus the old belt (10 years old) on left

20200123_135333.jpg

20200123_135317.jpg

3 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

I'd look at getting another belt.

As long as you are sure all the pulleys (including crank ) have no play etc then certainly try another belt.

But clean the pulleys up before you put on the new belt.

had another go at seating and tensioning the belt , having cleaned the pulleys, and now seems ok. So either it was some coating on the belt or it wasn't tensioned properly