Rover 827 Leaking Rear Light Gasket Repair

Motown

So despite the cold weather and being full of flu i decided to fix the the rear light gasket which was leaking and filling the boot and spare wheel well with rain water. I bought some A4 sized 6MM thick foam off Ebay and cut a new gasket using the old one as a template.

81322774_575446559667998_4331054809516867584_n.thumb.jpg.ba1a089f3f2972fa1377b6edd3785c19.jpg

Upon removing the light from the car i was surprised how good the metal work is for a 30 year old car... No rust that i can see car needs a wash though...

The light was full of water and some horrible rotted green shite!

My throat was killing by this point ?

3 hours ago, Austin-Rover said:

Just done this very job myself on my 820! Sadly, I had to follow it up with running a dehumidifier inside the car for two weeks... but it is watertight and dry now!

Nice to see someone else from Yorkshire with an 800 

I have heard some horror stories lucky for me i caught it early on the new gasket seems to have worked too so chuffed to bits. Glad you managed to get yours sorted unchecked it can cause alot of problems for the car and i think the Rover 800 Series is a car worth saving!

2 hours ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Well done on the repair.   A smear of silicone can also help.   It is good to dust the boot area with Talc.  If there is still any water getting in, you will see the trace marks in the Talc.  

Thanks for the tip the boot appears to be bone dry now but will try this should i have anymore issues :) 

1 hour ago, Scotty2 said:

Any leads on a Rover 800 Coupe Turbo Vitesse from a fellow Yorkshire based 800 licker? Looking to complete the set. BRG if poss as I have a saloon and Son has the fastback both in BRG.

No sorry and as you probably know you will be very lucky if you do come across a Vitesse Coupe in any condition never mind with an MOT. They are literally non existant now or atleast i havent seen one for sale since 2010. The chances of finding one in BRG are even slimmer too but if i hear anything or see one for sale i will let you know :) ?