2019, if it wasn't for AS...

Andyrew

Wouldn’t have got to swan around in @HillmanImps Jag for months.

Wouldn’t have the kids nagging me to ‘buy the red caravan back’ @purplebargeken

Wouldn't have had the genuine pleasure of delivering @Vantmans 9000 for a good cause (despite losing all lights on a darkened stretch of the A1)

Wouldn’t have almost finished the go kart for the kids thanks to @paulplom and @keith777

Wouldn’t have got the wife to fall in love with a 1999 Mazda 323 instead of an modern.

Wouldn’t be able to identify so many train operators by their seat patterns thanks to collection threads.

... I wouldn't have bought 9 cars, and I'd have saved a fortune on train tickets, hotels, and fuel bringing them home from Englandshire, where all the nice cars live. It's been fun though, met some cracking folk and it's always a buzz embarking on a collection mission. I was talking about this with the wife and my folks over Christmas, they all think I'm mental. I say there's worse addictions to have ?

If it wasn’t for AS this year... 

I wouldn’t have driven to London in a 2CV 

I wouldn’t have had my first experience on two wheels on the FoD.

I wouldn’t have driven an Invacar (sorry to bring them up again)

I’d never have bought the Yugo

I’d never have got to drive a Citroen GS or a Montego. 

I’d be richer as I wouldn’t have entered as many roffles (still never having won one!)

I have had so much done for me this year. Here are somethings that have come to mind in no particular order.

I am sure I have forgotten some so I if I haven't mentioned what you have done for me, don't be afraid to remind me!

I had my breakfast cooked the Scottish way

1412142843_IMG_20190608_095043broad.thumb.jpg.3720f049b34cbf77976adb5728028487.jpg

Release Alfa Giulietta brakes and polish Alfa Giulietta

1301083862_IMG_20190317_131752broad.thumb.jpg.86ff959fe073a60aa526e87e93f2d3a3.jpg

Had my grass cut

212539389_IMG_20190713_102947broad.thumb.jpg.690bf75008f3da9387dc4518ea376f00.jpg

Had all my scooters running at once for a moment in time.

1973340162_IMG_20190810_162320broad.thumb.jpg.7cff7478ed965f83f16635f6c0485f7d.jpg

Had a car checked over 350 miles from home

1957447333_IMG_20191113_201643broad.thumb.jpg.9a5c8c797091f261df5d7ab3b579c758.jpg

Had 4 cars driven to Leyland Day so I could form my own display

15605233_A54654B2-0FB3-4BC1-A67D-7ED39A445C34.jpeg.2e37114f31403e717c911eae85e57a3cbroad.thumb.jpeg.404306140b1b92b8fd2b338ff5f9727a.jpeg

Some have given blood to get my Citroen CX underway for a return to the road

201923680_P1300129broad.thumb.jpg.1662fb5b5021350c427b2125c81bf1cb.jpg

Bought 2 x Citroen AX, XM, Mercedes CLK from members and Swapped a car for the first time in my life!

1050699152_IMG_20191228_092520broad.thumb.jpg.575279af71edf170157d8210397d7ded.jpg

I probably wouldn't have done much different, because I've always been silly with crap old cars. Autoshite just legitimises my condition and allows me to associate with similarly afflicted persons... 

Although, without this place I wouldn't have been able to save this banger racer fodder... 

Screenshot_20191213_201836_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.e32a50a5809591418acd357c96277e1c.jpg

A lot of what happened this year is down to AS. Without this place the following probably wouldn't have happened:

• Getting involved with three more Invacars after my first experience in TWC last year
  • Driving in convoy to the FOTU and all the festivities afterwards
  • Appearing in a Hubnut video driving Myrtle the Matiz
  • Enjoying the hospitality of Mr & Mrs 6C in the Field of Dreams and at home on many occasions
  • Discovering the crazy world of the KLF and their great music
  • Finally getting the engine out of Bob the Renault 6 and finding out why it's seized
  • And of course, meeting a lot of great people who are just as obsessed with rubbish old cars as I am

This year I’ve lost my licence, girlfriend has had 2 close calls (ICU etc.), wages have been cut and various close friends haven’t made it to Christmas, but on the plus side, even in the darkest days I’ve looked on here and had a laugh. Sometimes out loud on the bus... 

And I’ve just found out that a mate took my car for a run to charge the battery but has had to be recovered from the motorway. Big red ENGINE FAILURE message. Happy days.

Thank you ONE AND ALL for keeping me on the straightish and narrow. 

More beer required. 

Edited by 108
Edited to add OMGHGF? to the list

I wouldn’t have avoided alcohol on NYE so I could ride an 80cc fart box over the Pennines to collect a car that has been probably the best thing I have ever owned. Also I have met a few of you weirdos and have to say you’re all charming if not slightly potty.

2 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

@108 sorry to hear your year has been so crap. 

It’s been a series of unfortunate events but things are on the up. Girlfriend got out of ICU today and is back to complaining. Things are looking up. 

And Autoshite is the best antidote to real life that I’ve found so far. Thanks again to everyone. 

54 minutes ago, 108 said:

It’s been a series of unfortunate events but things are on the up. Girlfriend got out of ICU today and is back to complaining. Things are looking up. 

And Autoshite is the best antidote to real life that I’ve found so far. Thanks again to everyone. 

Glad to hear your girlfriend is on the mend. 

If it wasn't for @LightBulbFun I wouldn't have spent many hours this year trying to register a 1967 Invacar with the DVLA.

If it wasn't for @barrett,  I wouldn't have had a drive in an Renault 16.

If it wasn't for @RobT I would not have had the opportunity to part own a Senator, which was the pefect spec, just not the right car (Rob also helped out on the MK12c).

If it wasn't for people like @Six-cylinder and @clayts450 I wouldn't be able to get important* stuff collected from ebay sellers.

If it was for @Datsuncog Friday mornings would be more shit and less mini-shite.

I'm sure many other thanks and appreciations are due...

Happy New Year!

had a sort of how could I forget moment

although I knew @Zelandeth from before either of us where on autoshite, its thanks to autoshite that he ended up getting a Model 70, that lead me down this crazy path :) 

and I have to give many thanks to Zel for all the help and hospitality he provided to me this year, especially regarding the government/benefits struggle and just being there for me when I needed the help!

On 12/29/2019 at 1:46 AM, New POD said:

If it wasn't for AS I'd be....fuck knows.

I'd be more arrogant and more alone. 

Although to be fair, I feel very alone today.  Wife has gone to stay at her sister's house. Thinking she's over reacted, is not going to fix it. 

1 hour ago, Carlosfandango said:

Well for a start I wouldn’t have won this and wouldn’t have set up many (many) search reminders for 205 chod online. 

I have been pretty abstemious from the forum due to a house move and several other things that made life a bit complicated (read shite) but looking forward to 2020. 

CFD

88280558-8B4F-4969-9AA3-2FA90F7F6CD9.jpeg

This year has also introduced me to the joys of 205 ownership courtesy of this Parish. A thing I wish I had done 20 years ago.

If it wasn’t for AS I’d be rather lost, this is always my first and last place to visit online each day as it has been since I first found this place back in 2006. The highlight for me this year was having the pleasure of meeting some other patrons at this years shitefest.

Too many things to itemise, but so much fun / tinkerage / driving of crazy vehicles at the FoD really stands out.
Many thanks again to @Six-cylinder & @Mrs6C for their hospitality and generosity.

Oh, and if it wasn't for all the encouragement, advice and help from fellow autoshiters, this heap of merde would have been reduced to ashes or bean cans long ago:

IMG_20191027_133303132.thumb.jpg.bef19b7718fef603f2cb7644e6abf8b5.jpg

It is still very broken, and my patience may yet get exhausted, but for the moment it survives to fight another day.
Thanks to all shiters who have got involved with this project in any capacity, from helpful hints to actual physical intervention.
And a happy and chod-filled new year to all our readers.

I've been fairly absent from here lately - just been concentrating on other things in my online hours.

Nevertheless, I've thoroughly enjoyed the meets I've been to; scratched my Xantia itch and met many of you lovely, slightly insane people.

I've found a welcoming home for my stash of ancient computers (really pleased that they're generating pleasure elsewhere now) and many of you kindly donated to my charity fundraising efforts.

I can't own a silly car at the moment but Autoshite is Good People.

Well the new year is upon us. I have to say this little thread has demonstrated what a great forum this is and how much a common interest in a variety of shitty old bits of metal can make a big difference to people's lives.

Im glad to be a member, Thanks shitters! 

**Could a mod please lock this thread**