Omg silly MPG....

Neil clark

Picked this up last week because I needed a cheap car asap, it was silly cheap, needed 2 tyres and the thermostat housing was weeping which ive done. It's the 1.4 tdci. Done about 300 miles so far and it's doing silly mpg, not put anymore diesel in yet! 

Drives nice, a/c, good stereo. Anyone after a cheap runner should consider them

That's all lol

Merry Christmas xx

20191215_110750.jpg

Well bought! I believe that engine is the PSA turbo diesel 1.4 HDI. We had one in a Pug 206 and it was catastrophically frugal yet smooth and fast enough to nip around smartly on roads both small and big. I think the killer, apart from usual modern diesel pitfalls, is the fact that the cam belt service interval is 150k miles or 10 years. This means most of the cheap one will never get the belt changed. Then again bangernomics thinking just drive it and reap the fuel savings until it goes pop. That era Fiesta must be fun to drive too!

We have a 90bhp 1.6 tdci which goes like a rocket on a 57' plate. That has £30 road tax and I've had it achieve 69.7 mpg. Although it is running into limp mode at the moment which I fear is because of the fuel rail pressure sensor. I will change this which will hopefully rectify the issue! 

I had one which I managed to squeeze an indicated 80mpg on one long slow run. Rarely dropped below 60 in normal driving. It did have injector seal leak which nearly gassed me every time I stopped at the lights and was a bugger to fix but other than that it was a cracking little motor. 

+1 on the injector seal leak, I've looked a few of these and literally every one of them was doing this. The cruelest thing about them is that they routinely rot out catastrophically around the trailing arm mounts whilst looking deceptively clean up top, but at the money they go for who cares eh?

Top shiting and well played to the OP, red is by far the fastest colour irrespective of any engineering nonsense.

A guy I work with has a pez one of these and as much as we sometimes make fun of him for it they seem to be pretty bombproof for what they are. Me and Keith the monkey initially agreed to service it for him, until we saw the oil filter looked like it had been at the bottom of the sea for the last century and the sump plug looked unmolested. The oil looked fine iirc, but we didn't want an immobile fezza on either of our drives if we stripped, snapped or otherwise buggered anything. A good friendly local mechanic did it for him for bugger all though since he already had the oil and filter. Said mechanic now seems to be doing a roaring trade doing all the bits and pieces that go with driving an older car for him, but doesn't seem to be taking advantage of my colleagues trusting nature which is good.

He likes it so much he's going to give it to his younger brother when he passes his test and buy another one. He says he wants to get an ST, I may be prodding him in that direction so I can have a shot...

I had a BRG one of these, fairly base spec with the same 1.4HDI and it was my first non-shite car that I saved up for, cost me £2000 which was a LOT for me back then. It had full SH, 60000 miles and ran perfectly etc.

Needless to say 2 weeks after buying it, halfway down France the turbo seized. DPF and turbo fucked, couldn't afford to fix it and didn't have the know-how or time to do myslef at the time, so had to sell it for a quarter of what I paid for it... Afterwards my mechanic did the TADTS routine, apparerntly the turbo's oil feed passes too close to the exhaust manifold, so on the péage at 130kph where the little 1.4 was working hard it killed itself.

Otherwise was a great little car, achieveing 64 odd mpg over the 2 weeks I had it without really trying.