1985 Ford Capri

Motown

As a former owner i was shocked to see this Ford Capri in Sheffield. I usually only see them on Ebay sitting for months on end because they are silly money now!

This one looks a little molested and is being used as a daily but apparently only has 59k on the clock """Am guessing the clocks being round once"""

Just wondering if it is anyone's on here???

75594425_2426254107689135_2972427976571879424_o.jpg

DVLA says black 2.8 registered Jan 1985.  (But Jan 85 would have been issued with a B-reg plate).   Originally a 2.8 Special with half leather and lsd? Who knows after 35 years. Statement on the tailgate would have to go. Honestly, why do that??? Looks tidy from the pic, haven't driven a V6 Capri for years, used to be really cheap to buy, had several. Mileage could well be 259k, not unheard of, it's only 7k miles a year.

Few years ago I was chatting to a bloke at a local car show about his standard red 77 RS2000, the very same car my mate had many years ago. Owner said it's a five digit mileometer but coming up for 130,000 miles now, cloth interior starting to show it's age. (Errm, I remember when it reached 150,000 miles in 1989, and where's it been since then). Didn't tell him.

28 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

DVLA says black 2.8 registered Jan 85. Originally a 2.8 Special with half leather and lsd? Who knows after 35 years. Statement on the tailgate would have to go. Honestly, why do that??? Looks tidy from the pic, haven't driven a V6 Capri for years, used to be really cheap to buy, had several. Mileage could well be 259k, not unheard of, it's only 7k miles a year.

Few years ago I was chatting to a bloke at a local car show about his standard red 77 RS2000, the very same car my mate had many years ago. Owner said it's a five digit mileometer but coming up for 130,000 miles now, cloth interior starting to show it's age. (Errm, I remember when it reached 150,000 miles in 1989, and where's it been since then). Didn't tell him.

Its definitely been round the clock a few times no disrespect to the owner but i dont know why you would have that on the tailgate???? I am surprised more hasn't been done to tidy it up abit especially as there such a rare sight now and the V6 will need constant attention been 34 years old. My Capri wasnt in the best of condition but i took great pride in trying to preserve it right up to the day it fell apart at the seams :( 

5 hours ago, Motown said:

i dont know why you would have that on the tailgate????

Maybe it’s short for ‘be magnesium deficient’.

That can cause issues with mental function, which could potentially manifest themselves in a delusion that matt black paint and weird slogans are a good idea.

1 minute ago, Skizzer said:

Maybe it’s short for ‘be magnesium deficient’.

That can cause mental health issues, which could potentially manifest themselves in a delusion that matt black paint and weird slogans are a good idea.

? I think you might be right there

5 minutes ago, sierraman said:

No idea mate but I’ve seen him driving about in it. It fucking stank of burnt oil last time I saw it. It is a right shed. 

Precisely my point when i saw it parked up i was slighty irritated in was in such a state.

If you owned a car like that you would shift heaven and earth to put it right or sell it onto someone who could.... Not let it rot :( 

I never really associated Capris with mint, unmolested condition, the ones I remember always had creeping rust, smoked a bit on the overrun and were low rent flash for not much cash. Obviously Bodie and Doyle looked cool in theirs, even the gold one, but Doyle looked cool driving a Tr7. 

I'm kind of nostalgic that someone is maintaining the tradition a good twenty five years after most boy racers abandoned their Capris to the scrapman.

2 minutes ago, warch said:

I never really associated Capris with mint, unmolested condition, the ones I remember always had creeping rust, smoked a bit on the overrun and were low rent flash for not much cash. Obviously Bodie and Doyle looked cool in theirs, even the gold one, but Doyle looked cool driving a Tr7. 

I'm kind of nostalgic that someone is maintaining the tradition a good twenty five years after most boy racers abandoned their Capris to the scrapman.

Mine was far from mint a pig to drive and rusted at the sight of a wet flannel but this was long before they were considered classics ?

Nice to see one on the road. I do like Capris. The paintjob isn't really to my taste, but then it's not my car. If the owner wants to have it in matte black with a (quite upbeat and positive!) slogan on the back then that's fine. It's their car, so it's their choice. It might not be to others' taste but hey, if we were all the same and liked the same things, life would be very boring.

My favourite colour for a Capri was Glacier Blue, a lovely pale metallic blue that went a kind of lilac if the light hit it just right. I liked the look of the 'S' too, with the clever graphics and no side rubbing strips; it gave a much cleaner look IMHO.

My cousin owned one back in the very early 90s, in Bodie silver. He was a lorry mechanic so his had a 2.8 litre engine rather than the 2.0 the insurance company assumed it had, based on disclosed information and the V5. Incidentally this is why mechanics historically used to pay a lot for car insurance. 

It was iirc quite a nice car but I preferred his Granada 2.3 auto, that he owned subsequently,  quite embarrassing considering I was 16 at the time.

I have and will to continue to work on these a lot.  Biggest problem they all have is how well they hide the rot.  Below are two examples of 2.8s and both looked alright on the outside.  They cost a fortune to weld up once you start digging, anyone trying to keep an original example going has my respect and sympathy.

2015603367_RustyCapri4.thumb.JPG.1823c349c30d9378fe13723016bef538.JPG1005133883_FiberglassCapri2.thumb.JPG.3fea7ac520f02fa5e0bc1c642cf233b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, TripleRich said:

I have and will to continue to work on these a lot.  Biggest problem they all have is how well they hide the rot.  Below are two examples of 2.8s and both looked alright on the outside.  They cost a fortune to weld up once you start digging, anyone trying to keep an original example going has my respect and sympathy.

2015603367_RustyCapri4.thumb.JPG.1823c349c30d9378fe13723016bef538.JPG1005133883_FiberglassCapri2.thumb.JPG.3fea7ac520f02fa5e0bc1c642cf233b9.JPG

Back in the day welding a bit of biscuit tin in, or failing that some glass fibre/chicken wire/papier mache disguised with lashings of Dinitrol would give you a few more year grace from the MoT man.

But yes that looks pretty bad, but not atypical of anything designed in the 70s and exposed to decades of road salt.