Car chases

ETCHY

Has Mad Max been mentioned yet?
The director George Miller did some seriously new stuff with that film, fitting the cameras to unusual places in the cars making some very ‘close’ action shots....

The first ten minutes of this film might be the best petrol head chase of all time. And I’ll argue that with anyone, come at me.

2 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Considering they're a big heavy sedan with a 4-pot 2.4, those old Volgas can honk on a bit!  That was a joy to watch!

I was thinking the same! Didn’t they look great tanking along! I’d very much like to own one tbh. Ideally the one with the V8 but I gather they’re rare ex government cars.

19 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

Has Mad Max been mentioned yet?
The director George Miller did some seriously new stuff with that film, fitting the cameras to unusual places in the cars making some very ‘close’ action shots....

The first ten minutes of this film might be the best petrol head chase of all time. And I’ll argue that with anyone, come at me.

I still get goosebumps watching that. It's so good.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:26 PM, Sudsprint said:

Definative playboys....

I'm a bit late to this but liked for Roger Moores acting face. It never changed did it? 

Also, again I've no idea how to get videos on here, especially as I only have a phone so the instructions on the other page mean nothing to me but there's a couple of bits from the Professionals spring to mind. One where a Triumph 1300 gets the better of Doyles Capri in an abandoned warehouse (actually its massive, could be the old Manchester Central Station) then comes round a corner sideways (I would say out of control knowing how one handles) and slides perfectly up to the kerb as if he meant to do it all along and it wasn't a fluke honestly. The other they're being chased by a 2.5PI (it's not a coincidence that the Triumph ones stick in my head). They come over a railway bridge then hang a very sharp right jump out and duck behind the car with guns at the ready. The Triumph has disappeared and they get sarcastically clapped by the people at the bus stop. I don't think I need to try and put the videos up, you can picture that can't you? We've all been there. 

This is from a film called 11 Harrow House, a really badly made production that I don't think ever made it to DVD. 

It has all the hallmarks of a classic chase, with a few extra mental moments thrown in. A Lotus Europa, couple of S Type Jags, a LWB Transit and erm, horses, all take part. The sudden appearance of a cliff face in the grounds of a country house is a particular highlight

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 3:59 PM, chaseracer said:

Count the doors on the Dodge/Plymouth...

I love the way the filmmakers took the trouble to graft rear cardboard tailfins onto the 1960 Dodge so it looks more like the 1957 Plymouth, yet neglected to address the surplus of doors.

I guess these cars were not easy to find in early 1970s Germany!

Can’t find it on YouTube, but the first episode of the third series of Van der Valk starts with a full on chase between a bank robbers’ Fiat 124 Special and a Ford Taunus (Mk4 Cortina) driven by our Dutch hero.

It ends with the death of one of the Fiat‘s occupants, setting up the rest of the episode. 

Only when the Taunus is parked up at the station is it revealed it packs the firebreathing 1300 engine!

When I had one it struggled to get out of its own way, let alone challenge a hard driven Fiat piloted by a desperate villain.  I think 124 Specials had the 1600 twin cam as well, making it even more of a challenge for a small Kent with VV carb to keep up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 8:09 AM, Rovingmatt said:

This is from a film called 11 Harrow House, a really badly made production that I don't think ever made it to DVD.

I have no idea why I know about this, but I remember looking it up and watching it quite recently. How did you find out about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Laguna Mk2 and Mk3 Cavalier, with a cameo from a whatever Mk Escrote that is. 

From one of the shitier, later series of Taggart. Was still worth a watch, but never quite the same after losing it's eponymous character.

The granary featured is the Meadowside Granary in Glasgow, demolished in 2002. Reportedly at one point the largest brick-built structure in the world;

Capture.thumb.PNG.002731603fa71692268ddc7512289f6a.PNG

1393090082_4989325008_ffe554f385_h(1).thumb.jpg.02d52c4a1aa51baae23616454c05e870.jpg

Has now been replaced by the Glasgow Harbour development. 

glasgow-harbour-terraces-housing-on-the-river-clyde-at-partick-in-CWD0X0.thumb.jpg.b7ecbb74fadd88029e354643ba5df11e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...