Project Tacuma

purplebargeken

On 29 December 2019 at 7:49 PM, purplebargeken said:

This is a lonely thread ;).

"Envious 'shiters fall silent in the face of shiny, clean, free-ness"

Pretty much anything worth driving (that was registered after 23rd March 2006) is in the top tax bracket.

I like the perfect paint match with your neighbour's Freelander.

I think people on here are frightened of shiny clean anything, it just doesn't feel right ?

The top tax bracket is a cunt but what can you do. The car is lovely and that is just how it is.

Yes, glad to see I'm not the only person who thought that about the two cars having the same bloody colour. To my jaundiced eyes it does indeed look identical.

I used to have an early 80's Corolla in a light coloured metallic green. The Triumph Acclaim light coloured metallic green is virtually identical and was lobbed on the Corolla's sill with happy abandon.

No Tacuma tickling today as work, well, work cut short due to migraine and 6 hours of sleep when back home. 

Not much happening with this. I am awaiting a new rear wiper blade and a proper bumper protector strip. 

Today saw the car start up without any issue again. I will lob in the solar panel charger, just in case.

Did a bit more cleaning on the front seats here and there, wiped over the headlining and that was it. Vacuuming will hopefully take place on Weds :)

Oh bugger, forgot to check the oil level. All the other engine bay accessible stuff is tip top level-wise.

Finally had the opportunity to have proper look for the location of the thingy that was causing the transmission to shunt a little when drive or reverse gears were selected. The other thread helped me to identify what it was and also identified the solution and the bit needed. I have just confirmed the location of the switch and it should be fine to get to and sort. Yay. Thanks to all who took the time reply. Much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Finally had the opportunity to have proper look for the location of the thingy that was causing the transmission to shunt a little when drive or reverse gears were selected. The other thread helped me to identify what it was and also identified the solution and the bit needed. I have just confirmed the location of the switch and it should be fine to get to and sort. Yay. Thanks to all who took the time reply. Much appreciated.

What's access like Ken? 

It is tucked away on the left hand side and slightly below the level of the battery holder,  the space to slide the switch off is a bit slim but can be done as the videos on YT show. 

To do it requires a 10mm and a 12mm ratchet spanner, which I have.  There is a fairly beefy coolant hose just above it, however, there seems to be enough space to push it out of the way. The rear 10mm bolt will be the hardest to sort out but the ratchet spanner is the tool for the job.  Long nosed pliers will be needed to pull the spring clip off the end of the shift cable.

There is a gizmo that ensures you get it all positioned properly (well, there was on the Suzuki which was identical), however, I need to see if I can get hold of it in the first instance.

The bloke on YT said that it positioned the bolt in the centre of the bolt hole anyway.

Okay, 10mm ratchet spanner found, 12mm ratchet spanner - no idea, so standard spanner utilised.  Needle nosed pliers - check, couple of red cable ties - check and a magnetic nut and bolt tray thingy - check.

New TPS switch - yep. 

Engine bits moved out of the way, most helpful bits to move/remove: the large coolant hose - hence cable ties and removing the air intake made it much easier all round.

Clip holding the cable to the selector was undone and remove, the cable disconnected and moved out of the way.

10mm socket undid the top bolt, and access to the bottom bolt was even easier, so both done happily enough. The switch was a bit of a bugger to wiggle off but I got there eventually. 

New one fitted. Errrm, not quite. Why wont it go on. Oh yeah, there is a flat section on the spindle that needs to align with the splined bit on the switch. Except it doesn't. 

Hmm. is it a manufacturing error, shitey Chinese parts.  Putting tools away in disgust. 

Realisation hits me on the head like a 10lb hammer. See if the centre bit of the switch moves. Yes. Yes it does. Dickhead.

Now happily aligned and slides on but it is tight. Does it all up.

Not a problem.

Go and turn the ignition on......... I must have knocked the spindle onto another setting as the thing is not aligned.

Dickhead.

It'll all be sorted tomorrow as no light left and my meds are wearing off. At least i know what to do now.

It isn't a bad job ad the switch was only £12.99. It should be sorted tomorrow hopefully.  Hey ho, you live and learn.

At least I fitted the new rear wiper blade without any issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Tacuma was at the centre of attention this morning via myself and the Rt Hon Wingz123. The original switch was lobbed on as the new ones splines were very worn/mangled. Car was jump started and it all was lovely for a few minutes until the codes came back. However, these were cleared a couple of times and the car taken for a good run and magical smooth hot knife through butter gear changes ensued. The opinion of Mr Wingz is that the system was quite sensitive to battery voltage and caused the gearbox maladies. 

It appears to be fixerated. It is massively responsive, gear changes are smoooooth and kickdown does indeed give quite a kick. Happy bunnies all round :)

Yes I do believe the voltage was low on the battery which has caused these electrical gremlins. I've had many a car over the years some which misbehave at the slightest whiff of a weak/low battery - misfiring, throwing the eml light etc etc. This Tacuma had been sat for a considerable amount of time with the battery left connected. So when jump started for the very first time several months ago, the lack of voltage to that particular electrical component triggered the engine management light and it had a hissy fit. 

Rewind furthermore and I believe the previous owners may have experienced this problem prompting their decision to pass on probably due to the lack of 'giving it a proper run' and therefore it not getting a proper charge.

My friend/neighbour who simply uses his golf tdi for the school run 1 mile of stop start per day 5 times a week really does not like it. You cant expect the car to get a proper charge up in that time in my opinion. 

The Tacuma battery was fitted to the 45 to give it a bloody good charge in use so to speak, however, despite a good run after Mr Wingz departed the battery failed to deliver the goods when I started the Rover. I'll take it off and charge it up again but I feel that the battery's days are numbered.