Project Tacuma

purplebargeken

Well, this has now been signed over to me.  

It's a 2008 (on a 57 plate) CDX 2.0 auto jobbie and is bloody clean. It's almost like new inside, seems that the front passenger seat swivels round but I haven't tried that yet. It even has picnic tables FFS.

The seating is very adjustable and is hugely comfortable. Tons of cubbyhole space which the Galaxy sadly lacked.

It'll be slotted into the lock up once I clear stuff out such as the Toledo engine and subframe and will be kept as a spare in case the Rover 45 ever decides to shart itself, which I hope is not going to happen anytime soon.

The bodywork is in lovely shape but would benefit from a good wash, claybarring and polish.  The alloys look good too, just need cleaning as with the rest of the car. 

It'll need a battery as this one is dead.

I also can't seem to move the gear lever out of P though, perhaps it only does it if the engine is running, unlike any other auto I've had (maybe).........

Pictures soon.

My Laguna (and most modern cars) won't come out of park unless you put your foot on the brake. That actuates the electronic solenoid to release the shifter. But no power and it can't do it. 

Most cars have a manual override hidden in the gearshifter area. Some you remove a plug and turn, some you pull the gaiter cover off to push in the release. Usually mentioned how to in the owners manual. 

Swings and roundabout I reckon re: cost/tax.

I used the battery pack on the car this afternoon and it started, the battery is properly fooked though.

Anyway, everything works and I mean everything.

The rear wiper blade is a bit worn but that is it. The car maintained temp without a fuss.  No untoward noises whatsoever, the engine just purred.

Even the sodding tyres were on the money for pressure.  I cleaned off a couple of spots on the seats and headlining and the interior really is mint. It has a genuine 37,000 miles on the clock.

Didn't even need to free off the brakes, it just glided forwards and backwards. I moved the car forwards so another patch of tyre was in contact with the concrete and whapped a good bit more air in to help reduce the flat spots hopefully.  I chucked in a gallon of fresh pez. 

I see no issues to prevent an MOT being obtained.

Pleased as punch? Bloody right I am.

23 hours ago, Twisterboy said:

Never realised these were still made in 2008!

You jolly well should!  It's only a year ago I sold my 08 Tacuma to Bobthebeard, when the Motability replacement arrived!  Mind it didn't feature on here very much, because there was so little to say.  It mostly just carried on being An Car perfectly adequately.  He's had very little to say about it too, although I did notice a For Sale post the other week.

Saying that, if you joined after I sold it, you do have an excuse  ;)

2 hours ago, Luxxo Waftybarger said:

Thought the biggest engine on these was a 2.0 so £500 tax seems a bit steep.

Whilst I'm thinking about it the later Kia Sedonas were also a victim of this extortionate tax rate.....granted they are a 2.9td but still hefty when it comes to the old tax.....

Answer? Get yourself some trade plates £165 for the year......and some cable ties.....and be left alone

Popped over to the lock up this afternoon, clay barred the hell out of the majority of the Chevy, there were tons of contaminants on the paintwork and the piece of clay bar that I used was virtually black (it was the softer Meguiars version). However the paintwork looks fantastic. I also clayed the alloys as recommended and they look lovely. 

I opened up the boot and gave it a light spraying of cleaner and a quick buzz over with the drill brush and it almost looks like new.  This is such a lovely car.