Infrared collection thread. Goodbye, Farewell, Amen. 22.5.20

sutty2006

Well today has been interesting. Weather forecast said rain from 9am to about 4. So I got up early with good intentions of getting the gearbox back on etc. Rain started at 8, just as I’d got the engine crane built up. So that put pay to that. Until around 3, when the sun came out! Hurrah I said! And again, just as I’d started to refit the gearbox, hail the size of garden peas cascaded upon me. It wasn’t till 4pm when the sun came back out that I fired in once more. All plugs fitted. Rear exhaust down pipe fitted and the bitch got it’s engine back. But not without a fight. 

ive lost light now. Hopefully an up coming day will see most of it back together. 

E903851F-436D-4A4A-8751-96160F3090BF.jpeg

E9D6F6C3-4094-4BBA-95D0-C851EED03213.jpeg

A few more bits done today. Not a great deal of progress because weather and cash funds are low. While reassembling the motor into the car, various original parts look suspicious. These two coolant pipes are buried deep into the engine bay, both coming from the water pump one heading to the top of the V, the other to the thermostat. Both swollen and weak. A trip to my local Ford dealer to price up some pipes and I ended up ordering them. 50 quid inc vat. Seamed stupid not to. 

BE03AFB7-5C04-461F-8A81-919EBBBDC898.jpeg

B2048FC7-2D97-4C3E-B7E7-762E33AA5DC6.jpeg

9CF80AAB-6F98-445D-A856-AE11BB9F79E8.jpeg

It’s coming together. Need to figure out where this earth wire goes. Topped the gearbox oil up and fitted another driveshaft to the passenger side. I am EPICALLY cold now, so cold I’ve headache and throat ache. And now I’m sat indoors with a hot cup of tea. 

39B4550B-9333-4848-A793-07489CF63880.jpeg

B7759372-9701-4C78-B8B6-6CF2AD22826A.jpeg

Today I R feeling mostly better. Still got a mildly sore throat but meh. Suns out tools out. Water pump replacement day. Old one slightly stiff and looks nasty, luckily non of the 6mm pins snapped which is what I feared. New pump needed a small amount of metal removing from the impella causing it to foul the housing. New belt, and the early style tensioner freed up with some wd30. 

was going to crack on with bleeding the clutch before fitting the remaining coolant hoses and air box etc but I’ve not got my little pump with me, so I borrowed my neighbours one, but then realised I’d not no fluid. Tool up and stick kettle on now. 

084E1B90-DD15-4D2B-B07E-58DB920E5496.jpeg

BFAB7D82-69CF-4C6C-B0CA-FDD06933638A.jpeg

I’m still feeling like shit. Sore throat, no voice, dribly nose. But that doesn’t stop me, no point sitting on the sofa feeling sorry for myself. So I connected everything up. Some random bloke in his own car dropped off 10L of 5w30 oil from eBay. Fitted the rad and put some coolant in. And hey presto. She runs. 

Exhaust isn’t yet connected I need to order some gaskets then I can fit the Powerflow system. 

so while I have the battery disconnected I thought I’d fit the 6 disk 6006cd player I ordered off a guy in Southampton. Unwrapped it to find this. 23A12C48-616E-49BE-9135-68EC31AC33CE.thumb.jpeg.a8cb8637c5569e1b50f1225cc490830d.jpeg

a 6000 rds, the single CD player identical to what Dave left in. Bugger. So I pulled the other CD player out to see if the 6006 has a deeper insert in the dash.....nope, it’s been butchered for an after market double din unit across the bottom. Looks like Another part to buy. 8EE87124-FC69-4762-A520-C063CB9F0F5A.thumb.jpeg.d5acb017dd6388f0177f737ffb6551bb.jpeg

I’ve been away this weekend with the caravan and it’s been merlins first holiday. Came home this morning to some fine ish weather. Progress has been made putting the front end back on, and reconnected the power steering cooler and filled the system. Engine sounds more healthy now due to oil in the pump. Great. Need to sort out the headlight leveller, and next big purchase will be suspension so I can finish rebuilding the front. 

04623FA3-7EC6-4909-8172-BB4BE9C7304D.jpeg

C67AD048-9796-4B63-BC6D-6BDDEB1992DD.jpeg

This really is a splendid story, 20/10. I too cannot be arsed getting the spanners out in this weather but you're showing us all how its done. Do you mind me asking how old you are? You've got the energy I had about 20 years ago (so mid-20's age).

I’m 32. I work as a mechanic in a cold workshop putting trucks back together. I can’t stand being indoors when there’s work to be done outside, I think I genuinely suffer from seasonal affective disorder as the rain depresses me. That or my PlayStation is pretty boring. I’m hoping to keep this one, use it every now and again but I see it as an investment. Fast fords through the years have shot up in value and these 220s are at rock bottom. Scurry it away in a barn for 10 years and see what the values do. 

28 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

really glad to see how you've got along with this.  So glad it didn't end up bailed up or broken for parts :)

To be quite honest, other than the seats and rear bumper, there wouldn’t have been much money to make breaking it, as most parts were broken anyway. Lol 

3 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

To be quite honest, other than the seats and rear bumper, there wouldn’t have been much money to make breaking it, as most parts were broken anyway. Lol 

Unfortunately, you find a lot of stuff like this is that way, when you start digging away at it.

Even "known to the community", "Good" cars are often a bit crap underneath the layers of polish and gloss.

Yeah, it'd have only got worse, I really should have moved it on 18 months ago, but I kept thinking I'd get to it, and never did, because something always came up.

Putting a load of money and time into a ropey old T4 van rather than this, made me realise that perhaps I wasn't the right person.

Still, I'm glad its now with someone who'll sort it out.

• 1 month later...

Well it’s sure been a while since I updated this one. That’s because I’ve not done a great deal on it. February and March were a bit tight on cash and I needed to order new springs. I ordered a lowering kit (cheaper than 4 new springs) as I don’t like how high the standard ST springs are. That was ordered 3 weeks ago and today they arrived. Ive begun building the fronts up with the second hand shockers and top mounts I bought (the old shockers were weak and the top mounts exploded into lots of pieces). I’m missing a bump stop for the left, goodness knows where it’s gone and I’m pissed because I need it to finish building. So I set to fixing the replacement bumper. It was split along the mounting edge and badly bodged so I used some fibreglass filler to repair that. Happy I’ve made progress. Unhappy I’m missing small items that are again going to hold the project up. 

B6748997-5866-4065-998C-E5B64BD94A7F.jpeg

990A0D27-AB18-45B0-B27F-2B2D404659B7.jpeg

D3C3FF3D-24CC-4C7D-A6B4-7F1502271E51.jpeg

The blue bumper came with a broken sensor on the right side (no idea what it does) and the original sensor had a broken wire. So I swapped the plugs over and made one good out of two. Great. Went to fit it and while I was underneath noticed a crack in the cat flange. Fuck sake. I’ll get the welder out tomorrow. And a coolant leak from thermostat housing pipe. Double fuck. 

874F8BAB-8E1A-469E-AE0E-42CAA2812678.jpeg

6036E1EA-70F8-4D4A-B500-C7FED5A80286.jpeg

So today’s work started by welding the flange on the cat. No pictures, as I’m ashamed of my pigeon welding. There’s a breeze blowing right under the car and it’s a pain in the ass to get a good weld to thin steel. 

then I fixed the coolant leak by adjusting the position of the pipe and clamp to the thermostat housing. Then, while the front end is still airborne I’ll clean up the rusty patches, paint and waxoil while the weathers good......

oh 

it’s gone all ford. 

73087C6D-D244-45DA-AAA4-C07A99315054.jpeg