Is there an actual way to locate a car?

pauldoubleyou

So I’ve spent the evening going through some very old pictures of cars and running the plates. The majority of them nowadays have been scrapped, with one exception that I’m actually very suprised at.

P812 TAD - Xantia Estate I bought off RR maybe in about 2015. Here it is in it’s awful glory:

c56f5ac06491c204edbb0dfab4a1cc6e.jpg

6c8ec838730e95fcec3a80518d56ea88.jpg

I loved this car and it’s one of about three I regret selling. It’s got a great story behind it too. I would like to think there’s a chance to locate it, maybe to buy it back. Any ideas? Or hopeless romantic gesture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

sadly GDPR has pretty much killed off this sort of tracking down 

although somehow those private parking companies are still able to get owner details from a car reg, so there must be a way!

They have legitimate need to obtain details so still can via the same DVLA process they always have 

Maybe I could just pretend to be a carpark..

The car was a funny one. It was owned by an ex spitfire pilot whose business card was in amongst the history. The code to start it was 1918 - the guys DOB. He ran it about in France and I bought it not long after it got over to the U.K.. swapped it for a Gti6.. which in hindsight was probably a mistake.

I sold it somehow and it was in Scotland last time I saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

They have legitimate need to obtain details so still can via the same DVLA process they always have 

I do wonder if its still in violation the GDPR rules or not

and there's obviously the (legal?) question of what counts as legitimate need...

this whole thing is on "the list" of things to figure out exactly, as I have a few* invacars id like to get full detailed keeper history of!

another thing, V888s are still a thing, but just very truncated thanks to GDPR, but if you can wrangle one from the DVLA it should give you general wearabouts where the car is located

also iv only been involved with V888s for invacar reasons where the current keeper was the one sending off the V888

im not sure how far you would get if you sent a V888 for a car your not the current keeper of, but might be worth a shot still

9 hours ago, chodweaver said:

Is there anyway of finding the location of an MOT station from the I'd number that has (sporadically) been put on the doovla's history listing? If so, that will give a rough idea as to a car's whereabouts...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Briefly this year, when also looking for a lost car, the mot history site it did display the mot station it was tested at, but gone now unless you have the log book number. 

Somebody (possibly @SiC, apologies if not) posted a link where you could obtain vehicle details.  It wasn't a straightforward case of just asking though, you had to have a valid reason such as (the vehicle being used in) trespass, fly tipping or theft from your property, etc. I expect you could get into some sort of trouble for lying if the current keeper complained.

9 hours ago, chodweaver said:

Is there anyway of finding the location of an MOT station from the I'd number that has (sporadically) been put on the doovla's history listing? If so, that will give a rough idea as to a car's whereabouts...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

you need the V5 document number for that I believe

51 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Somebody (possibly @SiC, apologies if not) posted a link where you could obtain vehicle details.  It wasn't a straightforward case of just asking though, you had to have a valid reason such as (the vehicle being used in) trespass, fly tipping or theft from your property, etc. I expect you could get into some sort of trouble for lying if the current keeper complained.

That's a V888; if someone reversed into your prize petunias you might struggle to claim via household insurance but a moneyclaim might work, which would need the current keeper's name and address.

Yep, v888 via some requirement to know from a “legal” perspective. Very much tighter than it used to be. At one point for a few months it became a free service if it was your own car with dispensation under certain conditions if it wasn’t currently your car (used to be a tenner) then within about 8 weeks of that change to it being free, DVLA got all information governancy and not only was it no longer free, but it also was no longer possible in the main.