DIY Car Service- Toyota Aygo

Lewis Mackland

DIY Annual Service- just £42.

Oil and filter change, air filter change and spark plug changed on the Aygo after 7,261 miles and 350 days since my last DIY service.
Currently on 48,626 miles.
The air filter hadn't been changed since September 2012 and that was 31.5k miles ago! Wow it was really disgusting.
The mighty 1 litre Toyota is running like brand new ready for another year of motoring!

Never going near a dealer again! So much cheaper, you get to learn about your car and you know exactly what has been done.

78243122_2510059685893284_16428237022298112_o.jpg

78495537_2510059762559943_9072525939241385984_n.jpg

78226492_2510059899226596_6362247072606846976_o.jpg

79273282_2510060082559911_6643792207608283136_o.jpg

79088219_2510060362559883_6075274756800643072_o.jpg

I found it very satisfying doing an oil change for the first time. Remember though that a service is a bit more than a oil+filter change and a couple of other consumables. A service includes an inspection of the car for worn out and failed parts. So brake pad thickness, suspension bushes, steering rack play, shock+spring condition, checking for any (excessive) leaks, etc. 

I also found it a lot easier and more reassuring to do car work under ramps. I tend to jack the car up first now and put the wheels on the ramps, as my jack can go high enough to do that. But before, I just used to drive straight up them and have someone shout stop as I get to the top. 

16 minutes ago, SiC said:

I found it very satisfying doing an oil change for the first time. Remember though that a service is a bit more than a oil+filter change and a couple of other consumables. A service includes an inspection of the car for worn out and failed parts. So brake pad thickness, suspension bushes, steering rack play, shock+spring condition, checking for any (excessive) leaks, etc. 

I also found it a lot easier and more reassuring to do car work under ramps. I tend to jack the car up first now and put the wheels on the ramps, as my jack can go high enough to do that. But before, I just used to drive straight up them and have someone shout stop as I get to the top. 

I borrowed a friend's ramps last year, but he's sold them since- also had to rev the tits and burn the clutch to get the 67bhp Toyota up them ?

Whilst I was under, I did do a good check of the tyres, brakes, rust, suspensiony bits .

Ah I get what you mean- lift the front of the car up- then place ramps underneath

I have some old pieces of decking that I use to reduce the slope on my ramp. Otherwise the weight of the boat engine in the omega causes the ramps to slide away. The tyres are so wide that they stick out both sides when I get to the top. I have 2 spare sets. I have jacked up the back end previously and sat the mx5 on 4 ramps to do the exhaust.

DIY, Agree, you also get to know exactly what components have, and have not been replaced.

i cHange Oil & Filter at max 10k miles on all the family fleet.  I use oil by grade and spec and steer clear of the 'overpriced by brand' stuff.   Most of the time I am getting through at least two oil and filetr changes within the manufacturers recommended, sometimes even three.

when I used to run a fleet car, I always insisted on the old component so being placed Ina carrier bag in the boot.  Except the oil and filter.   Even then they can shove any old parts in the  boot, but I figured it signalled to them 'I am watching you'.   I've been in the trade or around the trade for a long time, I know what goes on sometimes.

It’s always satisfying to give a new car a quick service, did you end up with a spare spark plug? When I ordered a set of three for mother gms 107, europarts sent a set of four. They did the same last year too, next year I shall only need to order a single plug :) 

And, in case you ain't in the habit already, get full value out of your diy work by FULLY DOCUMENTING it. I know a spreadsheet could be cooked up just before the sale of a diy maintained motor, but most dodgy people won't go to the trouble. A nice line by line record with date, mileage, description of work done and parts used (and even brand, part no, price and supplier) can be very helpful, not only to the next owner but to you as well - saves hunting around again for part numbers in a year's time, or trying to remember where you got that difficult-to-source part. Finally, my spreadsheets have two tabs - one for work done, one for work I've noted that needs doing... helps track the wear rates of parts and - for those practicing bangernomics or who are more diligent than me when it comes to it - the total cost of ownership.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

It's always satisfying doing little jobs like this yourself and then you know it has been done right. I'm happy to sub out more challenging jobs to garages, but simple things like basic servicing are going to get rushed. Doing it yourself over a cup of tea, draining oil properly, picking out best filters and good oil, keeping a log in the service history, checking underneath the car, suspension joints etc, it's a good thing to do.

The previous 2 owners have been good enough to keep all the invoices for everything in a folder, I've filled the online order invoice and hand signed and dated it - I know it's not a stamp in the book but  I don't plan on selling the car. Also made a spreadsheet and smartphone reminders for everything for my own keeping

Good point - calendar reminders for checks and oil changes. More's the pity that even the newest vehickles don't report their mileage by email/twitter/Bluetooth/the ether so it could trigger checks and servicing. I know 80s Hondas had little odometer driven indicators for tyres and oil. What a pity there wasn't one for Waxoyling...

• 2 weeks later...

These are tremendous cars. Top work on the servicing, satisfying doing little jobs like that yourself. Save money and have peace of mind it was done correctly. 

I've had two C1s and will absolutely have another. Really fun and capable little things. The engine is a peach and tremendous on fuel. 

If you ever find yourself down the central belt you'll be welcome at our little meeting, last Wednesday of the month;

On 12/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, chodweaver said:

And, in case you ain't in the habit already, get full value out of your diy work by FULLY DOCUMENTING it. I know a spreadsheet could be cooked up just before the sale of a diy maintained motor, but most dodgy people won't go to the trouble. A nice line by line record with date, mileage, description of work done and parts used (and even brand, part no, price and supplier) can be very helpful, not only to the next owner but to you as well - saves hunting around again for part numbers in a year's time, or trying to remember where you got that difficult-to-source part. Finally, my spreadsheets have two tabs - one for work done, one for work I've noted that needs doing... helps track the wear rates of parts and - for those practicing bangernomics or who are more diligent than me when it comes to it - the total cost of ownership.

Anyone who turns up wanting FSH on a 13+ year old Aygo should be told to FRO. 

OP: Well done, good for you, can't understand why more people seem unwilling, unable or plain scared to do the same.

The thing is, folk bleat on all the time about how "complex modern cars are", how "you can't fix or service them anymore, you need £<much money> in kit to even check the oil". Granted, electronic diagnosis, serious problem solving may require a professional but in respect of regular servicing, this is for the most part, bollocks, the modern car has far fewer servicing items that require regular attention (at longer mileages too) and those that do are often quite straightforward to do.

Seriously, think about how many things you don't need to do anymore when servicing, setting valves (rare now on cars), changing/setting CB points, adjusting timing (rarely needed, often not possible), adjusting carb settings etc., The standard stuff, oil changes, plugs, air filters etc are usually pretty simple yet routinely, folk still happily pay out £100+ for someone to change the oil and kick the tyres! DIY is quite easy and saves you a packet, plus you know what you've done and can have a sense of satisfaction in doing it for yourself. 

Oh well, it's not my money and garages have to eat too I guess. 

Well done Lewis, good work my friend!  Reminds me I need to do the 6000 mile oil & filter on the Leon.  Should really do a brake fluid change and get some pads on it too.  Luckily a lot of places will have a post Christmas sale so I reckon I’ll get stuff cheaper in a couple of days time.  

Wife’s Mini needs a few bits (parcel shelf, fag lighter, mats, stonechips touched up) so again will wait a couple of days and put in an order for stuff.

12 minutes ago, PiperCub said:

OP: Well done, good for you, can't understand why more people seem unwilling, unable or plain scared to do the same.

The thing is, folk bleat on all the time about how "complex modern cars are", how "you can't fix or service them anymore, you need £<much money> in kit to even check the oil". Granted, electronic diagnosis, serious problem solving may require a professional but in respect of regular servicing, this is for the most part, bollocks, the modern car has far fewer servicing items that require regular attention (at longer mileages too) and those that do are often quite straightforward to do.

Seriously, think about how many things you don't need to do anymore when servicing, setting valves (rare now on cars), changing/setting CB points, adjusting timing (rarely needed, often not possible), adjusting carb settings etc., The standard stuff, oil changes, plugs, air filters etc are usually pretty simple yet routinely, folk still happily pay out £100+ for someone to change the oil and kick the tyres! DIY is quite easy and saves you a packet, plus you know what you've done and can have a sense of satisfaction in doing it for yourself. 

Oh well, it's not my money and garages have to eat too I guess. 

Undeetrays can fro though! If I'd have done more than one oil change in ownership on my lagunas I'd have gone the pela route. They had to be refitted too, car feels scary at 75 without them. And on the blue one it kept the oil off the road... 

11 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Undeetrays can fro though! If I'd have done more than one oil change in ownership on my lagunas I'd have gone the pela route. They had to be refitted too, car feels scary at 75 without them. And on the blue one it kept the oil off the road... 

The one on the Volvo is currently held on with about 2/3 as many fastners as it should be and makes a satisfying SMACK over speed bumps. The sound deadening in it also acts to absorb any of the excess oil the engine seems to generate despite the oil level staying constant for far longer than seems logical.