getting sick of car......

maxxo

36 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

If I were you I'd blow out PH as a bunch of total self promoting arseholes. I have and feel so much better for it...

To be fair I'm more of a lurker than a poster on there, and occasionally there are some good topics to read, esp in readers cars, advanced driving, and the Shed of the Week is usually good for a laugh. There are some total nob-ends there though.

8 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

There is a cost to driving. Nothing costs nothing.

If you buy cheap budget to spend on the miles you need to do.

For me it’s a cheap car ~£500 and then ~£500 per year to keep it going. It’s my bangernomics. I do around 30,000 miles a year. The cost of fuel for this puts this into perspective. 

I am mightly impressed with that mileage/cost outlay. I am happy with £1500 to buy with £750/year to keep going. Only do about 5k miles/year too. That said, the current Merc floppy top in question did cost its first owner about £40k in real terms so perhaps it is relative?

1 minute ago, The_Equalizer said:

I am mightly impressed with that mileage/cost outlay. I am happy with £1500 to buy with £750/year to keep going. Only do about 5k miles/year too. That said, the current Merc floppy top in question did cost its first owner about £40k in real terms so perhaps it is relative?

It is. The 30,000 miles is over a few vehicles. The point is that if you buy cheap you really can’t let the spending stop there if you need to use the vehicle. Put a few pennies aside to keep it going. It might be more than you paid for the car buts that’s the way it goes. 

10 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

It is. The 30,000 miles is over a few vehicles. The point is that if you buy cheap you really can’t let the spending stop there if you need to use the vehicle. Put a few pennies aside to keep it going. It might be more than you paid for the car buts that’s the way it goes. 

Exactly my thoughts too. Cars cost money. Just bought a full set of Continentals for it at £360. I once had a cheap tire completely disintegrate at 70 coming on to the M25 I don't muck about anymore. 

2 hours ago, Matty said:

If you like the car, irrespective of what it is, what it's worth and so on then spend the money on it provided you can afford it. Some people gamble, some people get pissed every night. Fucks sake some folk have £4000 tied up in a telly hanging on the wall. If it makes you happy, spend your money on it and don't worry ?

This. I've spent far in excess of what the BX cost/is worth in repairs and I don't begrudge it a penny. Ropey vehicles are pretty much my only vice and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it (for now) so what the hell.

Drive it.

My volvo sits outside for days at a time doing nothing. I think to my self What a total waste of money,what did I buy it for? We already have a car and a van. Pointless really. Then I drive it and it totally changes mt perspective. Even just taking it to the shops is an event and I find I'm smiling all the time driving it. 

Then I park it up for a few days and think, what did I buy it for....?

Driving the saab on the other hand MEH.

I’d been in a similar situation with a series of cars a couple of years ago, culminating in a 306 gti and a 5 series which I spent a bit on before deciding they weren’t going to be as good or as well suited to me as I’d hoped.

The best detox was to buy a cheap banger which I have no interest in apart from that it’s cheap. Safety things are done but nothing else. So it’s had good tyres, new brake pads and basic servicing. Apart from that I don’t bother. The doors don’t lock, the windows are wedged up, it leaks, I’ve used self tappers to hold trim on, I’ve done crappy filler jobs on the arches, but I’ve done 18 months and 13000 miles for pennies. Every extra month it carries on is a surprise and a bonus. In the two years I’ve been driving it I’ve built up my mojo and funds again and had time to think about what comes next. I’d recommend it to everyone once in a while. You could probably get quite a few years from your Citroen with this attitude.

55 minutes ago, jon.k said:

I’d been in a similar situation with a series of cars a couple of years ago, culminating in a 306 gti and a 5 series which I spent a bit on before deciding they weren’t going to be as good or as well suited to me as I’d hoped.

The best detox was to buy a cheap banger which I have no interest in apart from that it’s cheap. Safety things are done but nothing else. So it’s had good tyres, new brake pads and basic servicing. Apart from that I don’t bother. The doors don’t lock, the windows are wedged up, it leaks, I’ve used self tappers to hold trim on, I’ve done crappy filler jobs on the arches, but I’ve done 18 months and 13000 miles for pennies. Every extra month it carries on is a surprise and a bonus. In the two years I’ve been driving it I’ve built up my mojo and funds again and had time to think about what comes next. I’d recommend it to everyone once in a while. You could probably get quite a few years from your Citroen with this attitude.

A great description of bangernomics. The trick is not to cherish the car, treat it as an old tool.

12 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

If I were you I'd blow out PH as a bunch of total self promoting arseholes. I have and feel so much better for it...

Since I got banned for a month for taking the piss out of someone's project thread, where i suggested burning a fiesta with fire, I haven't been back.

Life is fine. 

Unless you are going to go out and buy something demonstrably better then just do the basics and run the fucker till it drops. Can’t see the logic in going out and buying a terminally bollocksed Volvo. On the other hand if you’ve taken stock and the Picasso wants a load of work in the future and you’ve seen something genuinely better then sack it off. 

I’d quite like a Focus Mk2 Estate but I’m loath to scrap the Mondeo while it works. Apart from an increasingly noisy wheel bearing it just does the job. 

If you really want to listen to a story of huge amount of money poured into a shitbox, listen to this: I used to own an Elantra XD, which my wife loved. Sadly the car was near 280k kilometers, and a bit tired, with a pretty bad case of the rusts. I've found one near Ipswitch, with 48k miles on board and one owner from new. 500 pounds. Plus 500 pounds to bring it to Romania. Plus choping the parts from the old one to turn it into left hand drive. Plus some new parts which were different on the two cars and borked on my old one. Plus some painting and new wings, plus some man-hours as I couldn't do much about it (nowhere to keep a half-dismantled car).

Grand total? About 3000 pounds, for a 2002 Elantra with a 1.6 petrol engine. Bonkers, innit? :D

The car provided sterling service for the last year, with a couple of annoyances: the day before going on holyday one of the front struts got bent, when I was returning from the garage where I changed the oils after treating the car with a full set of new summer tyres (Firestone, so medium, but a bit noisy). The thing is I don't count tyres, oil, brake pads and cambelt as anything else than running costs, rolled into fuel. What I do take into account for the old question "how long shall I keep this POS" is everithing else that goes wrong during driving it: steering, calipers, AC and all other toys. As long as everithing was 

2 hours ago, maxxo said:

Thanks for all the replies,

Yeah i knew it would be easy to change my mind, i've just spent the last 20 minutes stood in the window looking at said car and i think i've falled back in love.

back to the garage again today to get the strut sorted out, then i'm going on a decent drive

This is pure autoshite.