getting sick of car......

maxxo

So as the title shows, i'm almost at the point where i'm sick of my picasso not being right, it's going back to my mechanic mate tomorrow to see if he can sort out the drivers side strut.

I know it's been a neglected car, but i've spent about £700 in repairs over the past 6 months, and i just feel like giving up on this car, I absolutely love it but i can't keep doing this.

How can i rekindle my love for pablo the picasso?

Also if this continues i will be on the hunt for an ovlov s60 auto around June time, I don't mind if it needs work.

If you want 'perfect' then choosing a car - especially one thats 15 years old and not been owned by someone equally perfectionist will be a hiding to nowhere. Look up the tales of fun* and sensible* expenditure that @xtriple has with his Bentley.

There are things which have to be done on a car to keep it roadworthy and legal. Then there are other things. I'll keep my car in moderately good condition with sensible expenditure, but fuck chasing down every weird noise and annoying feature on a 15+ year old car. I don't want to sound like a twat, but £700 of expenditure is less than 2 months finance payment on a colleagues 10 year old 320d. and probably less than 3 months of most people's boring shitbox.

Don't chase down every niggle, even if you do manage to fix* them all, you'll be so petrified of driving it and getting a scuff, scratch, or wearing some component out it'll just sit in a garage forever and then be fucked because its not being used.

Just drive it, enjoy driving it and fix whatever you need to in order to be able to drive it. fuck making it perfect, some twat will only t-bone you and you'll get £250 from the insurance company because its a "shitbox, innit".

I've had my fair share - perhaps more than fair - of problems and previous owner neglect with the Princess.  I've had it almost 8 years now and it's still miles off where I want it to be.  I've learned to accept that good enough is sometimes good enough.  If a problem can be safely driven around, then do, put off the expense to ease the financial burden.

£700 divided by 6  is about £116, your monthly spend so far.  That number will drop as you sort more things because every item you fix stands a better chance of staying fixed.  The longer you have the car, the less it will cost you per month (usually).  Chopping it in for an old Volvo isn't necessarily going to see you any better off unless you can get a really lovely one to start with.

Sometimes, you just have to spend more than a thing is worth and be okay with that.  If the car does everything you need and you enjoy owning it (current spending aside) then persist.  The good days outweigh the bad, usually.

Oh yeah been there, done that.  Thoughts of the Bentley still make me come out in a cold sweat. I've known for a long time that if you want perfect, buy perfect! Of course, I rarely do... Repairing years of previous neglect takes perseverance and patience. Much more than you initially think it will need. But it can be done, the danger comes when you are getting close, really close and at that point you lose patience and flog it. The next buyer then gets what you wanted in the first place - a near perfect car!

Stick with it, you'll get there.

It’s old, stuff will break and fall off. If you buy a tired Volvo, stuff will break and fall off that too. If you buy any car stuff will break and fall off - new ones just have warranties to cover the fally off bits. 
At this ‘bargain basement’ end of the car market we all lurk in it can be tough, and just when you’ve spent out a wedge and can least afford it you can guarantee it’ll surprise you by doing something expensive. 
£100/month doesn’t sound too unusual though, plus it’s not touching enough for a PCP deal on a new motor. 
Get those front springs sorted out by whoever bodged them on so it sits properly and you’ll feel much better about life.....

56 minutes ago, loserone said:

Get it fixed, then take it for a drive.  Driving cars is what makes them good.

Driving an S60 is only good when it's a very long drive on boring roads, not sure it's something I'd replace a picasso with..

It's going back tomorrow, i'm going to make sure all is fine then go for a decent drive out somewhere. I just love the first gen s60 i think they look fantastic.

51 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Don’t buy these nails you see needing a bit of work. If you are going for a Volvo S60 buy one that’s good to start with. At this price point it’s rarely worth buying something to fix up. 

Indeed but sadly they are very rare, a badly maintained geartronic looks the stuff of nightmares.

49 minutes ago, Stanky said:

If you want 'perfect' then choosing a car - especially one thats 15 years old and not been owned by someone equally perfectionist will be a hiding to nowhere. Look up the tales of fun* and sensible* expenditure that @xtriple has with his Bentley.

There are things which have to be done on a car to keep it roadworthy and legal. Then there are other things. I'll keep my car in moderately good condition with sensible expenditure, but fuck chasing down every weird noise and annoying feature on a 15+ year old car. I don't want to sound like a twat, but £700 of expenditure is less than 2 months finance payment on a colleagues 10 year old 320d. and probably less than 3 months of most people's boring shitbox.

Don't chase down every niggle, even if you do manage to fix* them all, you'll be so petrified of driving it and getting a scuff, scratch, or wearing some component out it'll just sit in a garage forever and then be fucked because its not being used.

Just drive it, enjoy driving it and fix whatever you need to in order to be able to drive it. fuck making it perfect, some twat will only t-bone you and you'll get £250 from the insurance company because its a "shitbox, innit".

True, the issue is i like to make my cars absolutely perfect, i guess £700 isn't a lot of money and it is a totally different car to what it was back in may, but i guess i have just had a rough patch with it. I need to go on a decent drive again and have some fun.....well as much fun as you can have in a diesel picasso.

35 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

I've had my fair share - perhaps more than fair - of problems and previous owner neglect with the Princess.  I've had it almost 8 years now and it's still miles off where I want it to be.  I've learned to accept that good enough is sometimes good enough.  If a problem can be safely driven around, then do, put off the expense to ease the financial burden.

£700 divided by 6  is about £116, your monthly spend so far.  That number will drop as you sort more things because every item you fix stands a better chance of staying fixed.  The longer you have the car, the less it will cost you per month (usually).  Chopping it in for an old Volvo isn't necessarily going to see you any better off unless you can get a really lovely one to start with.

Sometimes, you just have to spend more than a thing is worth and be okay with that.  If the car does everything you need and you enjoy owning it (current spending aside) then persist.  The good days outweigh the bad, usually.

That's my problem, it's going to be very difficult to find a decent volvo, I know i'm probably a great person to buy a car from as mine are all insanely well maintained but sometimes i just feel fed up.

Putting it like that yeah it's really not too bad, I have some major annoyance towards my grandparents and their total lack of maintenance when they owned the car, but it's a thousand times nicer than it was.

I do enjoy owning it, i enjoy it a lot it's been a lot of fun, especially as i'm a serious citroen fan.

7 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

It’s old, stuff will break and fall off. If you buy a tired Volvo, stuff will break and fall off that too. If you buy any car stuff will break and fall off - new ones just have warranties to cover the fally off bits. 
At this ‘bargain basement’ end of the car market we all lurk in it can be tough, and just when you’ve spent out a wedge and can least afford it you can guarantee it’ll surprise you by doing something expensive. 
£100/month doesn’t sound too unusual though, plus it’s not touching enough for a PCP deal on a new motor. 
Get those front springs sorted out by whoever bodged them on so it sits properly and you’ll feel much better about life.....

It's going back tomorrow to be sorted, I'm not too bothered about it riding higher it's just the loose strut that really bothers me, I was going to fix it but why should i, i paid for the springs to be replaced.

There is literally nothing out there now that i fancy, everything is just boring and has too many screens.

£100 a month thinking about it isn't too bad at all, once i get everything sorted it will be very nice

I like to wash and Hoover the car, that relaxes me and restores my mood with it. 

Regarding expenditure 

To me it depends on How much was the car to buy? 

The Astra cost me £170.  I reckon I'm in it now for £900 including the car, admittedly  I have the benefit of doing the repairs myself and getting parts uber cheap. 

That includes  

Cam belt , 4 tyres, all shocks and springs, top mounts, lower arms, tie rods and end, brakes all round and calipers. Rust free subframe, gearbox mounts etc etc.

I'd maybe get £500 for it if I sold it? 

But In the past 6 days it's done over 1000miles hassle free.  Id like to keep the car for a year or two more so I look at it as futureproofing. 

Sure the turbo could crap out or the head gasket blow but that's any car with a good chunk of miles under it's belt. 

I’m rather out of love with my Mercedes at the moment. Daily drive for almost eight years, but this time of year can be trying- the rear window heating elements don’t work, the front screen leaks like a sieve so the front carpets are kept indoors, but also means that the inside mists ups and freezes when very cold. Plus it rusts when they put salt on the roads. 

6 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

I like to wash and Hoover the car, that relaxes me and restores my mood with it. 

Regarding expenditure 

To me it depends on How much was the car to buy? 

The Astra cost me £170.  I reckon I'm in it now for £900 including the car, admittedly  I have the benefit of doing the repairs myself and getting parts uber cheap. 

That includes  

Cam belt , 4 tyres, all shocks and springs, top mounts, lower arms, tie rods and end, brakes all round and calipers. Rust free subframe, gearbox mounts etc etc.

I'd maybe get £500 for it if I sold it? 

But In the past 6 days it's done over 1000miles hassle free.  Id like to keep the car for a year or two more so I look at it as futureproofing. 

Sure the turbo could crap out or the head gasket blow but that's any car with a good chunk of miles under it's belt. 

I clean mine every week, I just hope it will all be sorted tomorrow, it would be very handy tbh.

That's the issue with cars it's just so easy to get sick of them after issues.

Hopefully everything will be sorted out soon

If you like the car, irrespective of what it is, what it's worth and so on then spend the money on it provided you can afford it. Some people gamble, some people get pissed every night. Fucks sake some folk have £4000 tied up in a telly hanging on the wall. If it makes you happy, spend your money on it and don't worry ?

Fuck it, i love this car and i'm going to fight to keep it running.

my main concern right now is the lack of suspension cups which would prevent the spring from jamming into the tyre, it was a citroen recall back in 2006 i think, however i will be calling them tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

There’s your problem right there.

Learn to love imperfection.  It’s the secret of happiness.

(Acknowledging that a snapped spring is a bit more than an imperfection.)

I have kept a dent in my door because it happened on one of the best days of my life and i like to be reminded of that day

28 minutes ago, Matty said:

If you like the car, irrespective of what it is, what it's worth and so on then spend the money on it provided you can afford it. Some people gamble, some people get pissed every night. Fucks sake some folk have £4000 tied up in a telly hanging on the wall. If it makes you happy, spend your money on it and don't worry ?

This all day - I'm getting some detractors over at PH on the shed thread as I have six cars. One jeb end started banging on about me being selfish because of all the parking I'm using. Despite me saying this really isn't an issue.  Thankfully, there's a few supporting me too. Funnily enough I justified my hobby as an alternative to supporting a football club etc....it is true though, shite-ing is very much my hobby now.

3 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

This all day - I'm getting some detractors over at PH on the shed thread as I have six cars. One jeb end started banging on about me being selfish because of all the parking I'm using. Despite me saying this really isn't an issue.  Thankfully, there's a few supporting me too. Funnily enough I justified my hobby as an alternative to supporting a football club etc....it is true though, shite-ing is very much my hobby now.

Yep that's my point. You've earned your money, spend it on what you want! PH is bellend central anyway...

As long as you do love the car then stick with it. I half fell out of love with my C4 VTS so i gave it to my daughter, win/win haha! Trying to buy a perfect car is just impossible, when I was after a Volvo C30 T5, I wanted it in black with a sunroof, manual transmission , facelift, low miles and preferably with the Dynaudio sound system. When it came to it there are very few facelift T5s in black with manual box let alone with a sunroof. In the end I got a facelift in black with sunroof and 38K miles but basic audio and even though I paid strong money for it, I've still spent a ton of cash to get it how I want it. Luckily i do love it!

This is it with the C4 VTS...

IMG_9329.thumb.JPG.49b1f3a580805a21dad56701aa3e96f8.JPG

It is here...

https://autoshite.com/topic/33874-my-t5-not-scene/

I will admit it's a lot of fun fixing up a car, i'm glad i did and i probably will keep it, i enjoy driving it and so on just this week has strained the relationship a bit.

But what kills me is the thought of it getting scrapped, it's way too good for that.

Rest assured when the day comes to finally sell it will be getting sold on here

20 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

If I were you I'd blow out PH as a bunch of total self promoting arseholes. I have and feel so much better for it...