A long time ago in a Galaxie far, far away (and other shit)

sdkrc

Do you think the neighbours know which cars are mine?

IMG20220111235101.thumb.jpg.5c353b1410acf38ff52ea16bf4480b47.jpg

Tonight I saw the amazing Volvo 240 from the superb@juular home-for-sick-Volvos thread.

IMG20220111194154.thumb.jpg.8c3ca21ee3e1ca4f67a7fc33539a8793.jpg

IMG20220111204432.thumb.jpg.a76226a27ad8f434ec59f752d1b3910f.jpg

I also went on a very brief joyride around the east end of Glasgow in the Galaxie with the lovely Juulars and Lacquer Peel. They've now experienced a lifetime's worth of bizarre, concerning and entirely new noises in a single journey.  The exhaust scraped off the floor, the bonnet almost blew open, the aux belt sounded like a herd of scared mice and then there was the seatbelt dilemma, only 50% of the occupants got seatbelts. No deaths though so that was good.

Finally, I borrowed the red @Lacquer Peel Renault express and helped move another mate's furniture 40 odd miles. This van is everything I hoped a 1989 NA diesel van would be and more. Drives superbly. The gearknob is like a brick, absolutely bizarre design. No radio is a winner on long journeys, I found myself taking advantage of the excellent acoustics and having a big ol' karaoke session.

9 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Do you think the neighbours know which cars are mine?

IMG20220111235101.thumb.jpg.5c353b1410acf38ff52ea16bf4480b47.jpg

Tonight I saw the amazing Volvo 240 from the superb@juular home-for-sick-Volvos thread.

IMG20220111194154.thumb.jpg.8c3ca21ee3e1ca4f67a7fc33539a8793.jpg

IMG20220111204432.thumb.jpg.a76226a27ad8f434ec59f752d1b3910f.jpg

I also went on a very brief joyride around the east end of Glasgow in the Galaxie with the lovely Juulars and Lacquer Peel. They've now experienced a lifetime's worth of bizarre, concerning and entirely new noises in a single journey.  The exhaust scraped off the floor, the bonnet almost blew open, the aux belt sounded like a herd of scared mice and then there was the seatbelt dilemma, only 50% of the occupants got seatbelts. No deaths though so that was good.

Finally, I borrowed the red @Lacquer Peel Renault express and helped move another mate's furniture 40 odd miles. This van is everything I hoped a 1989 NA diesel van would be and more. Drives superbly. The gearknob is like a brick, absolutely bizarre design. No radio is a winner on long journeys, I found myself taking advantage of the excellent acoustics and having a big ol' karaoke session.

Easily the best night out I've ever had in Dennistoun!

There are no words to describe this car.

resizer_16419792440120.jpg

resizer_16419792440121.jpg

resizer_16419792440122.jpg

Favourite quotes of the evening;

- *crash*... Yes, these are all new noises

- the steering feels like it's not attached to anything

- There are only three gears. One is reverse.

- These are death spikes

- That always falls off

- The seatbelts are there, just not bolted to anything

I absolutely love this car and I can't stop thinking about it. @sdkrc may have opened a yank barge rabbithole.. thanks for the very enjoyable evening.

7 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

AH SAW YE!

However by the time I saw it was you (couldn't see for the cop car) I was too busy GAUIN LIKE FUCK to do anything about it

I put in £65 of fuel today. I reckon we did 100-120 miles and it ran out on the motorway, 10miles from home. 

Might need that job at dominos to keep this thing running. 

IMG20220115183928.thumb.jpg.2715c1524ef297fe5b8892c4b134daac.jpg

Big shout out to everyone who took it for a spin, you made me proud.

Thanks a million to @juular for the rescue and to @davidfowler2000 for getting the alternator running. 

35 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

I put in £65 of fuel today. I reckon we did 100-120 miles and it ran out on the motorway, 10miles from home. 

Might need that job at dominos to keep this thing running. 

IMG20220115183928.thumb.jpg.2715c1524ef297fe5b8892c4b134daac.jpg

Big shout out to everyone who took it for a spin, you made me proud.

Thanks a million to @juular for the rescue and to @davidfowler2000 for getting the alternator running. 

Also: CALENDAR PIC!!!

10 hours ago, sdkrc said:

10-15mpg. This seems to suggest that's not too far off the usual numbers... OOF.

At least my suggestion over the phone that it may have run out of fuel wasn't entirely insane...

10 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

I rebuilt the carb and set the mixture to the book

Ah got you, never realised any engine work had been done  (catching up on the rest of the thread in bits and pieces).

The work on the car itself is stunning. Can I ask what you used inside the boot? I need to get a hold of whatever that is, it's properly solid.

24 minutes ago, juular said:

Ah got you, never realised any engine work had been done  (catching up on the rest of the thread in bits and pieces).

The work on the car itself is stunning. Can I ask what you used inside the boot? I need to get a hold of whatever that is, it's properly solid.

Drop down and I'll dig you a gallon out, can't say what it is in public as it's a commercial thing you can't buy if you get my drift 😂

3 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Drop down and I'll dig you a gallon out, can't say what it is in public as it's a commercial thing you can't buy if you get my drift 😂

Well now EVERYONE wants to know what it is. 

My guess is Nuclear Submarine core sealant. 

3 hours ago, sdkrc said:

@SiC, no LPG. I'm not a fan of the rootin' tootin' Putin juice. If we can set the engine up to the original  claims of 14mpg, I'll be happy.

For everyone who drove it in the rain, I got new wipers. Perhaps I should've done this before Saturday.

@dollywobblerprepare for heart attack in 3... 2...

9 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Official scores are in: ~£70 in fuel, ~80miles.

An average of 7.5mpg.

Same journey in the insight would've been ~£6.

At the time I thought it was ludicrous that £30 of petrol had disappeared in 40miles.

I've now opened a gofundme and I'm starting an onlyfans

farcanal - i did 130 miles over the last two days put 20 quid in it for 3/4 tank did half the journey and its still got more than half a tank and i wasnt hanging about

25 minutes ago, stuboy said:

pleaaasssseeeeeee fix that blown bulb 

Well no, because then a wheel might fall off. 

When the alternator was fixed, the driver's door got stuck shut in protest. 

The car exists in a very fine balance, like nature. You have to be VERY CAREFUL what you fix. 

I neglected to mention earlier that the driver's door will no longer open from the outside. I remembered this just after locking all of the other doors. Managed to get in using only string in under a minute.

Large Rockauto order placed. 

Temporary door seals ordered.

Coolant and not water in the system confirmed.

Next on list:

- that headlight for @stuboy

- new alternator exciter wire

- earth cable replacement

- new dizzy cap

- new power steering belt

- adjusting the headlights to point at the road 

- taking apart brakes and cleaning/rebuilding

- recover financially from this weekend

- saving for a new windscreen + real door seals