A long time ago in a Galaxie far, far away (and other shit)

sdkrc

• 4 weeks later...

Words cannot explain how fucking cool this car is, such a massive buzz driving it.  

✓ loud as shit

✓ much faster than you think

✓ handles like a cruise liner

✓ cruise liner dimensions

✓ eats potholes and speed bumps 

Massive shout out to @GingerNuttz for taking on a non-running car with significantly more rust than I knew about and then giving me back a car I could legally drive home in and which has no unintentional holes in it. Love the paint job too. Monstrous effort.

Also thanks to @captain_70s for support vehicle duties and picking up my hubcaps.

IMG-20220102-WA0014.thumb.jpg.25548e5fcd6e1b6070829c203e483fe5.jpg

Here's me trying to identify the mystery fluid used by the Disco 2 to create this beautiful street art.

IMG-20220102-WA0009.thumb.jpg.9135ea7fec24a3ed6441712af9fc2f5b.jpg

9 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Words cannot explain how fucking cool this car is, such a massive buzz driving it.  

✓ loud as shit

✓ much faster than you think

✓ handles like a cruise liner

✓ cruise liner dimensions

✓ eats potholes and speed bumps 

Massive shout out to @GingerNuttz for taking on a non-running car with significantly more rust than I knew about and then giving me back a car I could legally drive home in and which has no unintentional holes in it. Love the paint job too. Monstrous effort.

Also thanks to @captain_70s for support vehicle duties and picking up my hubcaps.

IMG-20220102-WA0014.thumb.jpg.25548e5fcd6e1b6070829c203e483fe5.jpg

Here's me trying to identify the mystery fluid used by the Disco 2 to create this beautiful street art.

IMG-20220102-WA0009.thumb.jpg.9135ea7fec24a3ed6441712af9fc2f5b.jpg

Blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub 🥰

Have you been through the clyde tunnel yet?

I'm working up the courage to get new door seals (£230?!) so we can rehang the doors.

All of the seals are fossilized and surprisingly pricey. In the meantime they're going to be slightly wonky.

I've found someone local who is willing to make seat covers in this but that'll be later in the year. 

Mocquette | Fabric, Wayfinding design, London underground

List of shit to do:

• New dizzy cap 
  • Re-core the original radiator
  • Door seals
  • Windscreen
  • Seat covers

4 hours ago, PhilA said:

With the burgundy, I would say absolutely. With the blue? No. Dark teal crushed velvet is your friend. Works with blue, works with brown. Match in with light blue carpet.

It's just seat covers and not a full blown retrim just yet. Dark teal crushed velvet may be a good shout though. I remain open to ideas.

There's a company who will recore the radiator opposite my flat so will try them first.

Just ran out of battery 5miles from home. No lights so couldn't drive home. I was ambitiously taking it out for another run on @captain_70s dolomite battery despite several warnings.

In other news, Galaxie officially bigger than an LS400.

IMG20220103170527.thumb.jpg.444ed3cbee63ada07affc344714d449f.jpg

IMG20220103170235.thumb.jpg.ac74053fa4eef5983402063ef24cf4cd.jpg

IMG20220103170607.thumb.jpg.d2be203ea239cd7739a18178962b1430.jpg

Listen to these beans...and backfire

I must admit I wasn't convinced about losing the original ratty look in favour of an immaculate baby blue hue. However, it's clearly needed some major hole filling and I guess it was just simpler to repaint the whole lot rather than patch bits in? 

I love the black steel look - bin* those hubcaps and fit some straight through pipes for maximum anti-social antics 😉

3 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Just ran out of battery 5miles from home. No lights so couldn't drive home. I was ambitiously taking it out for another run on @captain_70s dolomite battery despite several warnings.

This is why I stole your keys. 😂

It was so close to not turning over yesterday, hence my ditching the test drive after about 800 yards.

Had to get a lift home with @davehedgehog31, get the battery out of the V90 and charge it, then head back to the station in the Disco. 

When I arrived there were a few lads on bikes taking photos.

slapped in the battery, attached the jump pack for extra cranking and let her warm up.

Had to use half a bottle of deicer on the windows, both inside and out. Visibility was a solid 1/10 afterwards, up from 0/10. This process took 15mins. 

Got a round of applause from teenage bike gang on the way out and drove with the window down in -1C weather. 

IMG20220103203907.thumb.jpg.db9083d3d7e331d828a5b7b7f96d5586.jpg

Returned after the darts to pick up the disco and the door handles had frozen shut. Belter.

All this brings me back to when my dad got his Nova Merit taken off him for driving with his head out of the window because his windscreen was frozen and heavily misted. Luckily he had all of the family in the car so didn't need to explain the whole thing later.