A long time ago in a Galaxie far, far away (and other shit)

sdkrc

On 12/12/2019 at 4:00 AM, Datsuncog said:

the good ol' days, when you could smoke about in some crusty Yank - you demonstrate those days are still with us.

20180623_104753.thumb.jpg.f2e789e999d76adb2b90935f46f6ee14.jpg

Ahem... some of us are already doing just that!

980509041_Camdump1389.thumb.jpg.8672239d1df3100603c18ac7a681cba9.jpg

(Any excuse to show off Huggy! ;)  )

2 hours ago, SiC said:
3 hours ago, DaveDorson said:
Showed my Mrs this thread.
How do you think she reacted?

When are you selling your junk and buying a lovely machine like that??

More likely: you bring home something like that and you'll be living in it!

(They don't appreciate proper cars, IME)

Fired her up for the first time in 2 months. She started after pumping the juice about 10 times. Carb needs some more adjustment so!

A woman in an Aygo has blocked me in with some shitty parking so I couldn't go for a spin. Rolled back and forward though and gear changes were fine but think I've got some binding on rear left brake. Will find out Saturday.

Not sure about engine code but will report back.

The sidelights now aren't working and the dash won't illuminate. 3 jobs for Saturday now. Awwww yissss

Took me over 2 weeks to build up the courage to tell my missus I'd bought this. Couple weeks sleeping on the couch and laying low ironed it all out. My mates thinking it was cool balanced all of the judgement from her anyway.

Everyone should get one of these, they're fucking great. Would make it easy to spot shiters.

Cobbler - you have my word, no paint.

I'll look into Ankor Wax too

22 hours ago, sdkrc said:

To drive: around town the steering is about as vague as you'd expect. You have to plan your braking maybe 2 or 3 times earlier than a modern car. Body roll is insane especially when combined with lap belts and bench seats.

On the motorway cruising at 60 is where it is supposed to be. It just feels right.

The first 2 hours I spent driving gave me the sweats I was so nervous. Insane adrenaline rush because you imagine the brakes failing at every corner.

It's not fast but it sounds meaty and powerful when revved. 

That’s pretty much how mine is tbh. The brakes are certainly not up to modern standards but it’s ok if you look and plan ahead as your driving. Tbh though, I’ve always had old stuff with shit brakes so it wasn’t a surprise for me. As you say, cruising along at 60 is about perfect for these big old monsters.

When I picked mine up from the shippers and for a little while afterwards I was nervous as hell driving it! I was used to old cars but these are huge, left hand drive and not exactly great for handling either. Plus mine used to keep cutting out which made driving it a nightmare. Once you get used to it though they really are great fun to blast about in. The sound of that massive V8 is just incredible!

23 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Haha. That's word for word what I said when I saw it first.

I'm completely obsessed with the Ford Galaxie from the Timelord thread so will get it looking that level of 'used'. 

There are about 10 immediate problems which need sorting. The less I think about those, the better.

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this gloriously scruffy old Yank tank, so now we know what became of Ford Timelord. He regenerated into a '66 Galaxie and now lives with sdkrc :)  As a certain former member of this community would say, Do Not Paint.

5 hours ago, SiC said:
6 hours ago, DaveDorson said:
Showed my Mrs this thread.
How do you think she reacted?

When are you selling your junk and buying a lovely machine like that??

Not quite, she doesn't expect me to sell anything ever.. when I said I may have sold the red ST220 she almost fell over.

2 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

More likely: you bring home something like that and you'll be living in it!

(They don't appreciate proper cars, IME)

Not that either.

She fucking loves it and said, "I can see you in that.. bet they're a fortune, everything that suits you is a fortune.. "

Married that one for a reason.