A long time ago in a Galaxie far, far away (and other shit)

sdkrc

I had a failed business, a baby, a promotion and bought my first flat in the last 15 months so I have limited time to combine with limited funds and limited practical skills. Awesome car to learn with though. Everything is insanely simple and there is enough room for even the fattest hands.

Getting parts has been a problem. I've got 3 air filters, none of which fit. New windscreens don't seem to exist and kits for disc brakes are massively out of my budget.

Below is the current list of things that need done. I have negative money so will hopefully be doing some work in January 

✓ Fuel tank seal
Air filter
Hub cap
Idling carburettor
Windscreen
Rear footwell welding
Upholster rear bench
Roof lining
Paint (do not paint!!)

All rubber seals

Rustproofing/waxoyl

I love the colour and I like it looking beat up and shitty. I fully intend to use this as a daily.

IMG_20190908_021324.jpg

IMG_20190908_021316_1.jpg

IMG_20190720_100935.jpg

9 minutes ago, fatharris said:

That's cool as shit

What are the plans for it?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Haha. That's word for word what I said when I saw it first.

I'm completely obsessed with the Ford Galaxie from the Timelord thread so will get it looking that level of 'used'. 

There are about 10 immediate problems which need sorting. The less I think about those, the better.

To drive: around town the steering is about as vague as you'd expect. You have to plan your braking maybe 2 or 3 times earlier than a modern car. Body roll is insane especially when combined with lap belts and bench seats.

On the motorway cruising at 60 is where it is supposed to be. It just feels right.

The first 2 hours I spent driving gave me the sweats I was so nervous. Insane adrenaline rush because you imagine the brakes failing at every corner.

It's not fast but it sounds meaty and powerful when revved. 

7 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

I was hopeful when I saw you'd spelled it Galaxie and I'm not disappointed.. That looks completely irresistible, are the brakes as bad as I'd heard? 

I guess stopping just wasn't important back in the 60s. It's like trying to stop the wheels with your hands. 

The overhang is for that insane boot. When I got it to Glasgow I thought I'd left the rear bench seats back at the seller's house. Turns out they were in the boot but I couldn't see them, despite opening and rummaging around. 

This absolutely kicks my 6 months driving a talbot express motorhome with mud tyres as a daily into the shrubbery. As my favourite comedian says "It's only funny if you actually do it", this is way cooler being driven to morrisons for some antacids than parked up or paraded round. 

I'll hold fire on the paint then.

I could use some community wisdom. There's a mysterious rod in the engine bay which I can't figure out it's purpose. I'll post a photo next time I get a chance. It's sort of attached to the carb/throttle body and connects to the gearbox. It's loose and makes ZERO sense to me.

Also, someone ask me about what happens when you seal fuel tanks using flashing...

Assuming its the 3-speed C6 cruise-o-matic box that you have fitted which it should be, then what you are describing sounds like the trans kickdown rod.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/kickdown-dont-works.505623/

Also have a look at this article (posts 3 and 4)

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/139193-1966-ford-fairlane-transmission/

https://www.diyford.com/ford-c4-c6-transmission-trouble-shooting-guide/

Is your transmission kicking down when you floor it?

Lokar do a replacement kit

INS0007-FordC4C6-KickdownKit.pdf

amazing! when I clicked on this thread I was expecting a people carrier!, I love big ol american barges like these :) 

2 hours ago, sdkrc said:

The overhang is for that insane boot. When I got it to Glasgow I thought I'd left the rear bench seats back at the seller's house. Turns out they were in the boot but I couldn't see them, despite opening and rummaging around. 

sounds like its bigger on the inside *cough* :mrgreen:

(if only it was a 1968 one :D )

Crikey Moses, this is insanely epic... what a car.

Just as folk on the Timelord thread were going all dewy-eyed about the good ol' days, when you could smoke about in some crusty Yank - you demonstrate those days are still with us.

Much kudos!

The closest I may ever come is my Dinky version, but I'll be following this one with great interest...

20180623_104753.thumb.jpg.f2e789e999d76adb2b90935f46f6ee14.jpg