A long time ago in a Galaxie far, far away (and other shit)

sdkrc

12 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Took me over 2 weeks to build up the courage to tell my missus I'd bought this. Couple weeks sleeping on the couch and laying low ironed it all out. My mates thinking it was cool balanced all of the judgement from her anyway.

Everyone should get one of these, they're fucking great. Would make it easy to spot shiters.

Cobbler - you have my word, no paint.

I'll look into Ankor Wax too

Wankor Axe has a red pigment in it now meaning it's not so great for patina preservation;  it's also a tit for reacting if you need to do localised repairs.

Far better to shoot a satin laquer coat over it, or a gloss if you want to define what's going on there.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:49 PM, sdkrc said:

Haha. That's word for word what I said when I saw it first.

I'm completely obsessed with the Ford Galaxie from the Timelord thread so will get it looking that level of 'used'. 

There are about 10 immediate problems which need sorting. The less I think about those, the better.

Hi,

The chap I rent my shed off here in Pembrokeshire has two of these cars; A 1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible and a Country Sedan which he is using as his everyday transport during the winter. He is very knowledgeable about these and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind chatting to a fellow enthusiast and may be able to offer advice on problems and sourcing spares. Vernon does not use the internet, as far as I know, but may be able to take a ‘phone call..

PM me if you are interested and I’ll give him a call.

Squirrel2

23 hours ago, TooManyPeopleMovers said:

This looks ace and I love the idea of daily driving it - my hat goes off to you!

I have always wondered, how does a pillarless car seal the windows between the front and back doors? Or rather, is there a lack of sealing?

There should be a rubber strip on the forward edge of the rear side window; that's how Cadillac do it anyway.  With both windows up, the front glass seals against the rubber.  Wind the rear glass down and the rubber goes with it.

15 minutes ago, Squirrel2 said:

Hi,

The chap I rent my shed off here in Pembrokeshire has two of these cars; A 1967 Galaxie 500 Convertible and a Country Sedan which he is using as his everyday transport during the winter. He is very knowledgeable about these and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind chatting to a fellow enthusiast and may be able to offer advice on problems and sourcing spares. Vernon does not use the internet, as far as I know, but may be able to take a ‘phone call..

PM me if you are interested and I’ll give him a call.

Squirrel2

Is his name Scott?  Does he do cycling and running?

I am not impressed in finding a lack of The Clangers content.

But on the other hand as Datsuncog so correctly pointed out using one of my favourite phrases

CRIKEY MOSES

That really is :

changing jobs

young family

living in a flat with i presume no private tinkering zone

Amazing sensible family transport. 

8 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

he doesn't happen to have one of these does he?

image.png.d89e08a763002dc99994ab2338dae155.png

I had a feeling this one might of gone above people's heads, for those who dont know pictured is a Vernon invalid car :) 

(MoH Model 53, sadly none are known to survive so it would be good if he does have one!) 

Brakes need to be kept adjusted every few thousand miles. Note that driving through deep water and seeing a "NOW CHECK YOUR BRAKES" sign applies.

Pretty much a guarantee that the headlight switch needs rebuild. High/low switch won't be far behind.

Gear changes being all lumpy are down to the rod from the carb to the gearbox being adjusted wrong. It should slush through the gears almost imperceptibly at light throttle.

Not complicated to fix, have fun smoking about in it. They all squeak and rattle. They did new. Tell her that, not that she'll believe you but eh.

--Phil

These brochures are fantastic! So I've got the 280bhp thunderbird engine. Don't think I've been appreciating the spec enough. Also thanks for all of this collective wisdom. It's 3 degrees, pissing it down, and I have no tools, mechanical knowledge or time but the enthusiasm here has got me fired up to make some progress.

Right so, boot is now unflooded but I haven't found the source of the leak and the side lights now mysteriously work. 

There are 2 new issues - rear left brake is binding and I need to reinstall the parking post after my dad ripped it up using my Nissan's bumper.

1966 Galaxie VIN plate

RxN8lVN.jpg

Don't know if you're into this kind of thing but there's a shitload of really detailed decoding info on this site, all the stuff you need -

http://www.so-calgalaxies.com/1966

Looks like a really interesting and useful site.

18 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

1966 Galaxie VIN plate

RxN8lVN.jpg

Don't know if you're into this kind of thing but there's a shitload of really detailed decoding info on this site, all the stuff you need -

shame it stops short at 1967, it would be fun to see what the Ford timelord breaks down as :) 

7 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

^  Also used by the good guys.  Danno's car in 1968 Hawaii Five-O series one.

'Book em Danno,  Murder One'.

That brings back memories, in particular being 150 foot up the side of a chimney doing emission testing in the very early 80's.

Being bored, as we were waiting for the plant to start, we decided to ignore the ID's written on the radios and pretend to be Hawaii Five-O. McGarret was in the control room (telling us what was happening), Danny was at ground level watching out for falling objects etc, and we were Chopper 1.

We thought it was funny, given the bollocking we got, others didn't!

2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

1966 Galaxie VIN plate

RxN8lVN.jpg

Looks like a really interesting and useful site.

Awww yissss. Great find. This one is pillarless.

The official VIN in the engine compartment looks like it's blank. 

IMG_20191214_202011.jpg

Galaxie 500 LTD

Paint: Vintage burgundy poly/maroon metallic

Trim: Black Vinyl

Date: 02 November 1966

D.S.O: Philadelphia

Trans: Cruise-o-matic

Engine: 8-Cylinder 390 Cubic Inch (2V)

Axle: 3.00:1 regular/non-LSD

Assembly plant: Mahwah NJ

Body: 4-Door Fastback