Live breakdown, grindy noises, no go, ideas?

Bucketeer

Bugger, had dinner and some* wine now - had I known you were in Farnham I'd have come up to see you, thats even closer.

Are you by Sainsburys in the one way system? Can you lift the pedal with your foot enough to get into 1st gear and get into sainsburys carpark? If you're still waiting for the RAC walk towards the railway crossing/A31, cross over and go to the GBC for some food. its pretty decent for a burger joint.

Vito woes- Gear linkage/ selector issue I recon.

it always felt a bit clunky in operation to me; I felt the synchos were tired and felt like former drivers had been very heavy handed (maybe as cause or effect?)

The cables/linkage had had a rough time at least that’s how it felt to me; so I recon either the gearbox is borked and/ or its half stuck in gear with the selector mechanism having let go.

If it was the driveshaft It wouldn’t only do it in 1/3/5 which is the forward plane on the box in this.

5 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Bugger, had dinner and some* wine now - had I known you were in Farnham I'd have come up to see you, thats even closer.

Are you by Sainsburys in the one way system? Can you lift the pedal with your foot enough to get into 1st gear and get into sainsburys carpark? If you're still waiting for the RAC walk towards the railway crossing/A31, cross over and go to the GBC for some food. its pretty decent for a burger joint.

I’m on the industrial estate behind Sainsbury’s (Didn’t crash land there in case they have a time limit).  Hopefully RAC will be here soon.  Still feeling quite chipper but thoughts have strayed to a PCP’d Dacia Duster.  

1 hour ago, clayts450 said:

18 minutes ago, Fat_Pirate said:

I’m on the industrial estate behind Sainsbury’s (Didn’t crash land there in case they have a time limit).  Hopefully RAC will be here soon.  Still feeling quite chipper but thoughts have strayed to a PCP’d Dacia Duster.  

Please, please, please record your phone call to the local Renault dealership asking if the recall on Vel Satis master cylinders is still open, and use a stopwatch to record the pause (you may need additional batteries) when you tell them its done 290 million miles or whatever is on the odometer now!

Home!  No thanks to the RAC though - they were saying it would be 11pm at the earliest, so I took Nigel's advice and drove the bastard 20 miles home without a clutch.  It was only possible because the roads were now quiet and I stuck to dual carriageway and motorway.  Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, it kept me occupied.  Enjoy this photo of a cracking pair of baps as a reward.1139893554_2019-12-1122_14_58.thumb.jpg.70ba21adba66002cfb19afe6579131dc.jpg

Love a Vito

Few things, the driveshafts are bolted in place and as above they can come loose. Easy to see though through the arch

Gear selectors are right on top of the box and are cable / wire fed. Don’t ever adjust them if you don’t need to they adjust on the box and behind the dash.

Clutch is hydro and bleeds under the steering wheel from what I remember and runs off the brake reservoir

You could manually select a gear from the fork on the box and it should drive. Selectors are on with ball and cap efforts so take some para cord and if they’re popping off just cord them in place as a temp bodge

Can only be the driveshafts, selectors (doubtful, it would select 1,3,5 OR 2,4 as it’s very much an up down selector) or the clutch.

If you have to take the box off it’s a piece of piss. I had major surgery and did mine on the drive two weeks later but it is heavy as fook

Here’s mine

795387f0a4ca3e06afbeb80a7ed5e12a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All done; ,all safe- leastways parked quietly in a residential street!

A cursory inspection at the side of a busy road in torrential rain showed both shafts in situ, gear linkage as loose as a tarts draws- but working ,so my guess was clutch.

Further confirmed by the van- towed (on a rope) normally with no extraneous noises.

I've made Alex a few suggestions/ offers- which he can mull over. 

Essentially, he & his van ,are safe