Live breakdown, grindy noises, no go, ideas?

Bucketeer

Just an hour or so ago I managed to get my Mercedes Vito out of some particularly angry mud and was happily driving to the petrol station when I lost all drive, just getting muted whirry grindy noises instead.

I'm stuck at the side of a busy road now, blocking someone's drive, unable to move. I checked my RAC stuff online and they hadn't taken money out of my account for the last few months, so my coverage with them has expired.

Is there anything obvious I can do or look for? With the engine off there's an audible rattle/clank when I throw the lever up to 1st/3rd/5th. Could the previous trekking through mud have knocked something off/loose? In any gear there is no drive just the muted grindy whirring and a bit of a resonance through the body.

Any ideas welcome.

IMG_20191211_164457.thumb.jpg.aa0ede4c27edf7c5f5b9fceb2a282bd5.jpg

Sounds suspiciously like a CV joint has given up the ghost...giving it welly in the mud whilst turning the wheel to try and grab traction will be the cause.

Not a lot can be done on the roadside, I fear. It’ll need workshop attention although it shouldn’t be a huge job.

Having said that, it could also have thrown a gear change cable and simply have slipped out of gear. That would also result in a noise as you describe and a lack of motion.

I'm just outside Storrington. In the South.

I've had a good look round, and nothing obvious is jumping out at me, and it hasn't miraculously fixed itself when I've restarted it.. I have a friend about an hour and a half away who has kindly volunteered to come and get me. Hopefully I can use her car to push my van out of the way of the drive at least.

54 minutes ago, Bucketeer said:

I'm just outside Storrington. In the South.

I've had a good look round, and nothing obvious is jumping out at me, and it hasn't miraculously fixed itself when I've restarted it.. I have a friend about an hour and a half away who has kindly volunteered to come and get me. Hopefully I can use her car to push my van out of the way of the drive at least.

Not that far from me, probably an hour away - want me to come up with tools? I can tow you if you have a rope, or I can find one in the father-in-law's garage?

EDIT - and a trolley jack and axle stands to get it up in the air enough to get a look at?

That's a belting offer Huw, thanks. I'm completely fed up with it tonight so I'm just going to get it pushed somewhere marginally less dangerous when my friend gets here, then get a lift to the warmth of my AX where I can try and forget about it all until tomorrow.

However, if by any small chance you had some free time tomorrow that you wanted to waste having a look at a broken green van and helping shift it half a mile up the road to a garage or whatever, that would be awesome. 

6 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

RAC abandoned me for 18 hrs last year. Gave up at that stage and abandoned it.

It cost them a 4 figure sum, in Court. 

Can you not find some brake fluid someplace- or is it cable? I’ve driven many a mile, clutchless - with well timed gear changes

Don’t get too cold.

I can’t find any clutch fluid reservoir,, google not proving any help.  Anyone know if there is one?  Can’t see clutch mechanism,

22 minutes ago, Fat_Pirate said:

E40280CF-6245-487A-8211-CA379F4DC555.thumb.jpeg.2acb19b8db92350dd9c8a11b69e266b6.jpegI’m also broken down! I’m driving a Vel Satie though so this goes with the territory.  Clutch pedal on floor, RAC recovering but up to 4 hour wait.  This is character building, I’m sure.

Its exactly that which saw my silver laguna scrapped! Would always flick back up with my foot and do clutch stuff again, but for how long... 

Seems to be hydraulic, with a concentric slave inside the bell housing. 
unlikely it’s failed catastrophically, so if you can find a bottle of fluid, and the filler, jumping on the pedal like a demented bunny should/ might bring it back.

Haventbyet found the reservoir, but I’d bet it’s part of the brake reservoir. See if one compartment is empty.

And as Sam noted:

http://www.vel-satis.org/forum/vel-satis-questions/just-bought-a-vel-satis-and-two-major-issues

I have the clutch pedal issue in my car, and have just got used to it – most of the time it's fine, but sometimes it stays on the floor and you have to hook it up with your foot. Not difficult, and it does become automatic to hook it back up.

The bolts fall out of the inner CV joint on these Vito's, unless they've been loctitited in. Caught mine before they unwound completely. I checked mine every month or so after that. Failing that the CV joint has gone. New complete shaft from J+R for under 40 quid delivered. Easy to fit, even roadside....

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/mercedes_benz-vito-2.2-diesel-2001/product/drive-shafts-509/drive-shaft/DS50