Bedford Rascal what to look out for

holbeck

Rot is definitely the biggie, if looking at one make sure to lift up the seats and check the suspension mountings.

I bought one once for £56 on ebay, was described as "MOT just out" which of course is ebay talk for "MOT failed on epic rust"

I still drove it home and used it as a shed for a couple of years, sold it for £80 in the end so that's a win of sorts.

25 minutes ago, sierraman said:

What sort of comically fast engines could you fit to one of these? 

Not "comically" fast, but an SJ413 engine should be more or less a straight fit - given that they're mildly terrifying to drive with the standard 970cc engine, a 1.3 should provide plenty of fun*.

53 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

*pedant mode on*

Sooty had a Honda Acty

*pedant mode off*

Much kawaii. Very JDM. So scene.

I recall Scampy running away and Mathew poking his head out of the camper when they were out looking for him - and you could see he was kneeling down behind it in the wide shot.

Hilarious at the time.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

This series of crash tests of larger forward control vans might make him think.

Mmm... not good.

I once had to drive a shagged Bedford Midi for work, and I did not feel particularly happy in it; the crash test here of the equivalent Isuzu Cargo indicates I had fair reason to be concerned.

Also, it was totally rotten and after a few miles the column gearchange would only select 1st or 5th...