A car known to the collective returns. Yes, it’s another Citroen

Stinkwheel

Ah I had wondered what happened to that little bastard!
I'm the one with the filthy shirt and receeding hairline above, getting the head off was a right shit.
As I recall we measured it of a fashion and reckoned the liners had sunk.
Anyway if you happen upon a big metal plate that says "visa" on it in black pen or indeed a Halfords torque wrench, I'd be most grateful to have either back!

Ah ha, yes, I can imagine the head was tricky. From the state of the gasket remnants. I have replaced the liner bottom gaskets, they all appeared to have the correct protudance when checked with a straight edge and feeler gauges. Time will tell for sure though.

I’m afraid I haven’t seen either a torque wrench or a metal visa plate in the car at all. But I shall check under the seats etc just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Clearing away at the FoD after we had finished I don't remember seeing either of those items.

I have had a look though the pictures and I am guessing the torque wrench was in this black case?

P1180598 crop.jpg

I think that one may be my LIDL knock-off one with the breaker-bar.

6 minutes ago, Craig the Princess said:

Holy fuck, a Network Southeast hot beverage cup.

Not quite!

It came from an open day at the network southeast preservation society.

If you would like it then I will be pleased to hand it over. If I keep it it will get used until it is only fit for the bin.

IMG_20200127_171701 broad.jpg

5 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I think that one may be my LIDL knock-off one with the breaker-bar.

The torque wrench was a Halfords 1/2" one in a clear case, although it may have escaped in our old Berlingo.

Not to worry. Glad to see the old girl is getting some love.

• 3 months later...

Well, not been much progress recently. What with work and lockdown and the car being 15 miles away.

But where we left off was that the rebuilt engine ran. But not well. So after much poking and prodding, something is still wrong, I’m not ashamed to say, I don’t know what as yet. But I’ve sidestepped that’s for now, say hello to one 54k one owner from new talbot samba 1124cc suitcase engine
58347ce14cf5b862f2b1b3f36d386a16.jpg

That will be going in next week hopefully.
And the saga can continue.
I also bought 4 brand new matching tyres for it in a fit of extravagance.
I figure now it’s got new tyres and an engine that will work, I have no excuse but to finish it.
Watch this space as they say ( whoever ‘they’ are)

Tyres went on today. Well two of them did. Then I broke my ‘el cheapo’ bead breaker, so I ordered one of those manual tyre changing and bead breaker things off amazon.

ad812944d8106148b74bfa4e90e20b3d.jpg

I’m thinking now I should have painted the wheels. I’ll get a couple of rattle cans of silver wheel stuff and do them when I do the other two.

• 2 weeks later...

Well blimey, more progress....

Despite pre flushing all the everything before assembly and also after flushing out the cooling system a million times (it felt like that anyway) I finally found that I do not appear to have a problem with my rebuilt original engine and the issue I thought I had was probably due to an awful lot of nasty residue left in the pipe work/heater matrix/tiny waterways in head/radiator etc causing it to look like I had oil in the water. 

So basically, the oil level in the engine isn’t going up or down, the water level in the header tank isn’t going up or down and I feel confident (fingers, toes and eyes firmly crossed) that it now works.

I also changed the rubber steering column coupling disc, donut thing, as it was virtually disintegrated. Brave hairnet who piloted this thing round a track with that as it was.

Changing that was a fun job, Citroen why did you use rivets and not nuts and bolts to hold it all together, for the love of god why!!! The replacements come with nuts and bolts FFS!!!  So , anyway, after some grindy sparky action and also some drill-ey and swearing action, that was done. 

Anyway, can I get some love for the now mobile visa and this little clip please....

Well done dude.  I always thought that this Visa was a bonny little thing. 

I can’t wait to get it MOT’d finished and driving it, only problem is going to be actually getting it registered as DVLA aren’t accepting any paperwork at the moment due to covid and distancing etc etc

2 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

I can’t wait to get it MOT’d finished and driving it, only problem is going to be actually getting it registered as DVLA aren’t accepting any paperwork at the moment due to covid and distancing etc etc

Aye. The Doovla will have all the ammo to keep it off the road till it suits them. 

I have to admit to a bit of jealousy 

Totally understandable. I mean who wouldn’t want a fairly rust prone, difficult to get parts for and virtually worthless old Citroen? Despite them being based on the 104 platform, they do feel properly Citroen-ey in their oddity. Which I like.

But you’ve got the next best thing, a C15 is a fine vehicle.

17 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

I also changed the rubber steering column coupling disc, donut thing, as it was virtually disintegrated. Brave hairnet who piloted this thing round a track with that as it was.

Changing that was a fun job, Citroen why did you use rivets and not nuts and bolts to hold it all together, for the love of god why!!! The replacements come with nuts and bolts FFS!!!  So , anyway, after some grindy sparky action and also some drill-ey and swearing action, that was done. 

I believe my LNA needs a new coupling disc that I have bought, without bolts. What I did not realise is they were difficult to fit!

December 2015 was when I drove @hairnet to France so he could collect the Visa from @Frogchod.

I did not know Hairnet at all apart from trying to read a few of his posts, but I said I would take anybody to France to collect a Visa they had bought and he took me up on it!

It was a great trip, which means my offer continues to stand, I will drive anybody to France who wants to buy a Visa!

post-4787-0-41166500-1450031311.jpg