Anyone near Rusper?

loserone

Right, many many thanks to @Three Speed for taking a look at this, but I think aahhm oot of this one; just too many hints of work and expense required for me to bid it much higher.

After following up with the vendor there's no history at all, and no evidence of a belt change.  The scrapes down the side are worse than they look in the eBay pictures, the tyres are older than I'd be comfortable using, and it's done almost no miles for a long long time, which I can't help but think will be likely to give me trouble when I start putting 300 miles a week on it to prove its ready for cruising round France.  then there's the funny reversing sensors, giffer-spec quick disconnect for the battery, and that the seller had his garage hold onto it since August for a buyer who backed out but only got the car back last week. 

On top of all this the eBay photos are pretty flattering so I reckon it's going to rocket up a bit despite being a relatively undesirable junkman spec 2.0 auto saloon, and I'm not ready to spend megabucks on a 406 just yet.

On the plus side it looks solid, is low mileage (as if that were a good thing) and looks very pretty.

Link, if anyone is interested: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113999924071

Shame really, as it's the same colour and engine as the 206 so would make a cracking fleet ?

A266FF19-69E9-4A17-AACF-7A3860853A06.jpeg.ed7a493e5f2b69c30e73831c9bccd3fd.jpeg

D99EC291-5291-4BCE-824D-9BEBC67F8C49.jpeg.061580ca38a4566f08f27b0ae1f768b0.jpeg

D75F5ADB-B1E6-4DEF-BA43-557B54AD7271.jpeg.183ff7a00f24d2d81b57a1c46cc0fdf7.jpeg

D36AD73A-8D9D-43B5-87CB-C8BC8D42A55D.jpeg.fa2524027bfe9546b653c417854c6aae.jpeg

As I found with my 406, do the work just as it becomes due and it'll reward you. Neglect the fuck out of it and it'll hate you. I scrapped mine as I couldn't get the front balljoint off short of having the struts off the car and down to a garage which I just didn't have time to do, and even then some shiters said it still may not come off... 

I can confirm it is solid and drives well - as far as the end of the road and back - without any clonks or slop. New front pads yesterday. It came into the current owner's hands in July from the estate of the deceased previous owner who had added more scratches than miles in recent years. Lived under a carport. Tyres look good but are old. Apart from the scratches it does look quite respectable and is clean inside. Everything seems to work. But - it has done almost nothing for years so who knows what it will do when asked to perform. The mystery battery isolator is a bit odd - but probably a giffer way of stopping the battery draining.  Current owner was offered it by the firm who was dealing with the estate - he took it because his wife has a 406 with duff a/c - the plan was that this car would donate its a/c to the wife's car but it's the wrong spec and the car seemed too good to break. So he MOT'd it with no problems and here it is. Current bid is 420 with 2 hours to go.

1 hour ago, loserone said:

I'm starting to worry about putting 300 miles on this car when it's not done that in the last five years.

Does anyone in the area fancy a free loan for a few weeks?

I could break it in gently for a few weeks down here.  It could be useful to get a roffle swap over done if a Southernshiter were to win a Northernshiter roffle in the near future...