Happy Christmas To Me

Saabnut

Ever since I started playing with full size cars, there was one piece of workshop equipment that I covetted but either had no space for or no money for. Every year I said I would by one, every year there was something with a more pressing need. The last few years whilst I have not been working, the lack of cash prevented me purchasing despite the want increasing as I spent more time in the shed. This last summer, I decided I had waited long enough, but would need to sell one of the collection to acquire the funds. Of course, I don't really want to part with any, so no progress has been made.

This morning I had a call from a friend to see how the discovery kolleckshun went, and he mentioned he was going to see a collection of car parts. Late this afternoon he called back to say in the corner of the shed was the object of my desire, in good working order so he had bought it on my behalf. The price he had agreed was about 1/3rd of what I had budgeted for, so whilst cash is short it is at such a good price I cannot afford to not buy it. My friend said at the price he was happy to keep it if I did not want it!

So, I have just got in after nipping out to see another friend to borrow his trailer to collect it in the morning. After the disasterous day of messing with Holden brakes and achieving nothing all afternoon, the day has ended on a high and I am a very happy bunny! Not saying what it is, but pictures tomorrow when I get back.

But, it begs the question - what would you buy yourself for Christmas if funds were tight but the price was too good to refuse? Lets see if anybody has the same stupid desire as myself!

17 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

But, it begs the question - what would you buy yourself for Christmas if funds were tight but the price was too good to refuse? Lets see if anybody has the same stupid desire as myself!

been there done that! #help LOL

image.thumb.png.bb6f562e1ffee092e5e06d564b66f647.png

(the seller of the Lot of 2 700W Mercury vapour lamps had actually sent me a best offer, iv never been sent an offer on ebay before! it had been on my watch list for a good year or so now, guess the seller could see that and send me an offer?)

14 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

A house with a drive/land or possibly even a garage!  

This. Work at the side of the road is grim at best and impossible in winter, especially when the road is three floors down!

I bet you've bought a lift though.

Got to be a 4 bedroomed bungalow with a double-entry driveway, block paving to at least 95% of the front, and a vast garage with at least a pit and power.  Oh and a secure, low-maintenance back garden so Memphis has somewhere to run and play.

Failing that, there are negotiations afoot for something more modest.  No clues yet!

1 hour ago, spike60 said:

Easy for me, a large, light, dry, secure, workshop/garage with power.

This, but I'm lucky to have a unit share which is a god send in more ways than you can imagine. 

It came about after changing a Zafira starter in the road, in the rain, in January with hardly any tools /light which fucked my back up for a long time afterwards. 

2 hours ago, Saabnut said:

No point in keeping it quiet now as several have guessed and Inspector Morose has got it spot on! Still in his workshop and working, so in dismantling it tomorrow should show me how it goes back together!

Oh you know what’s going to happen in the new year, don’t you? That’s the best news I’ve heard since, well for ever. 

P.S room for a caravan to be tucked somewhere inconspicuous? Asking for a Wartburg owning friend like....

I'd love a 2 poster but it's the height that is the killer. Debating about a scissor lift for when we move, but they're not much cop if you are welding around the floor + sill area. Quickjacks don't look substantial enough and don't go that high.

However a scissor lift should be more than sufficient to do suspension, exhaust and engine+diff in relative comfort though. Possibly why I see many garages now starting to use them. Half a tonne of metal to move when you move house though.

In-laws have a pit and I've used it a couple of times. Ok for inspection and oil changes, but anything more they actually aren't that great imo. If you drop an engine, it is basically going where you are stood/sat. Running up an engine is dangerous if you are in a pit too. Also can't do suspension work any easier. 

I rent an underground lockup garage which is perfect except that it has no power. So I'd go for that, and hmm maybe a double garage so I had space to get on with a job without moving stuff around, oh and let's make the garage an annnex to my flat so I don't even have to go out...!

15 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Oh you know what’s going to happen in the new year, don’t you? That’s the best news I’ve heard since, well for ever. 

P.S room for a caravan to be tucked somewhere inconspicuous? Asking for a Wartburg owning friend like....

Spare room, spare caravan and plenty of space for more anytime you want it!

Well, that has been a long day already! Left Chez Saabnut at 0730, picked up my friend in Perth at 0900 and headed to Crieff where this was awaiting me:

863372200_IMG_01721.thumb.JPG.e6c8c35dcf5c787ba79e3a51bcc6f6ea.JPG

It is an old Laycock rated to 2 tons (not tonnes which is important as it will lift a Disco which is 2 tonnes). It took about 30 minutes to disassemble and 40 minutes to load into the trailer. It is a heavy bastard, I have moved many Chinese modern lifts rated to 2.5 tonnes for friends, and I am certain this thing is at least twice the weight. The cross beam in which the chain runs on modern lifts is pressed tin. This is solid steel and three uf us could not lift it! It is single phase and was running off a standard 13amp plug. How much for this glorious piece of automotive history I hear no one ask (because you lot are too polite*) - well it was mine for a mere 350 pictures of her maj. Very happy with that.

This is how it looks now:

408753988_IMG_01761.thumb.JPG.b66ed10c2c82225b1e8ab925bd511322.JPG

I will now have to have a major sort out in my shed so I can install it, and I am glad I have a forklift. It will have to wait a few days though, as hopefully tomorrow will be another Kolleckshun day!

You are probably already aware but these need a substantial thickness of concrete floor and the right anchor bolts...when I moved mine, I finished up digging a hole 10' x 6' and 12" deep before filling it with reinforced concrete for it to sit on.

I seem to remember the recommended thickness was at least 8" but when there's a P38 balanced on it above my head, I'd rather err on the side of caution.