Hello All- introduction to my little Toyota

Lewis Mackland

Hi all!

Thanks to Twin-Cam who introduced me to this forum- he's a great Youtuber

Here's my first and only car so far, he's a 2008 (my own reg) Toyota Aygo+ 1.0 VVTi 5dr- and I absolutely love it!

Group 1 or 2 insurance, £20 tax and 50mpg.

What I love about the Aygo is that you can drive it flat out everywhere and still not break the speed limit whilst having a massive grin on your face- listen to the 3 cylinder engine sing away with the dual Overhead Camshafts and Variable Valve Timing - clever stuff. In fact, the 1 litre Toyota engine was the lightest car production engine when launched in 2005.
You can seat 4 people and their rucksack with comfort, or use it as a van to empty your shed, or run a mobile car valeting business- the possibilities are endless!
It'll sit fine at 70mph on the dual carriageway, and the heater is good.
Yeah, the interior plastics are bit rattly and the inside door handle falls off sometimes, but I couldn't think of a cheaper car to run and have a laugh with.

Thanks!

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_1880.jpg

75210699_2474598256106094_6622374893625278464_o.jpg

Group 1 or 2 I believe- for an 18 year old with a year's experience , PassPlus , Dad as a named driver with not a single claim, living in the suburbs with a driveway it's £550 a year. I know people couple years old still paying upwards of a grand for a Fiesta , Corsa or Polo (2008ish upwards)

After a quick Google, I have decieded that "Woolarding's is a bad idea- I'm and 5ft4 and don't want to scratch the car, and the 1 litre plastic engine is nothing special to look at ?

Welcome! Great little car in a really nice colour. It certainly is in keeping with the spirit of the BMC Mini, I think we can all agree on that here. Pretty much everything is DIY on these and parts are dirt cheap. Couple that to the £20 tax bracket, good fuel economy and low insurance group and it all just makes sense. Keep an eye on the oil level. They typically like a drink of oil and the sump is very small.

Modern day AX! If it wasn't that they look small as fuck inside (a ZX is about as small as I want to go) they look utter bargain moderns for the prices they go for! 
And welcome
I'm just about 6 feet tall and a fat git with size 11 feet and I fit in these quite comfortably with tons of room. The passengers in the back may need their legs cut off though, but I am only ever me in it so that's ok. The boot is small, but as above and seats down it's a good wee van.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

It certainly is in keeping with the spirit of the BMC Mini, I think we can all agree on that here. 

I certainly agree with 'the spirit of the mini', but when I drove one, I was expecting it to drive like a mini with all the torque, and breathlessness of an A series boat anchor. It was nothing like, it needs revving/driving hard to unleash what power there is. 

(Oh, & I'm 3 foot six).

I had a C1 for a week. I loved how it drove, loved how it sounded and loved the gearing.

But they are fairly impractical and not totally at home on the motorway (!)

Still, you can park where there isn’t a space and I achieved a mixed 58mpg. 

7/10 - but definitely future shite. 

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I had a C1 for a week. I loved how it drove, loved how it sounded and loved the gearing.

But they are fairly impractical and not totally at home on the motorway (!)

Still, you can park where there isn’t a space and I achieved a mixed 58mpg. 

7/10 - but definitely future shite. 

If my commute was say 9 miles down a B road with an average speed of 53mph I bet its fantastic. Not sure I'd like to fling it up the m40 every day though, my zx is only just powerful enough as it is! 

My first car was a Yaris which I believe had the same 1.0 litre 3-cylinder. I was universally mocked by everybody for owning such a dull as ditch water car but there were few who had the bravery to keep up with me on the narrow and twisty roads of rural Aberdeenshire. With the digital rev counter pinned in the red in every gear it was quite fun and very forgiving in the handling department with the bonus that i'd never get less than 48mpg even when my favourite game was trying to get triple digit figures on the digital dash readout....

If I'd have had anything more powerful or a bit twitchier I'd probably have been dead within a fortnight of motoring.The biggest mistake of my motoring career was trading it in (losing almost nothing on it) against a 2012 Corsa 1.4T. The Corsa has since died, the Yaris is still motoring up in Orkney...

P4206629.thumb.JPG.0ce66a0a63dab0e1d6591fd7b616aa6c.JPG

I imagine the Aygo must be fairly similar but even lighter for extra hilarity and mpgs.

Have had experience of all flavours of these... we ran an auto 3-pot Aygo to well over 100k as a pool car in the bus company and despite never being in the correct gear it never missed a beat.

I also spent a long weekend hooning a 107 3-pot manual, three up round the Western Isles a number of years ago.

The Citroen... C1 1.4HDi with delivery mileage, brand spanking new, running on cherry... I managed seven people in it, down two from nine in the Mk3 Golf Van it replaced.

Poor show, Citroen.

FB_IMG_1575921739236.jpg

FB_IMG_1575921742640.jpg

On 12/8/2019 at 9:32 AM, Lewis Mackland said:

After a quick Google, I have decieded that "Woolarding's is a bad idea- I'm and 5ft4 and don't want to scratch the car, and the 1 litre plastic engine is nothing special to look at 

The way to Woollard without damaging the paintwork is to rest your foot on top of one of the wheels. I believe the man himself used to do so on occasion. If you can get your foot between the wheel and the wheelarch, that is, of course.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, barefoot said:

You've not quite got the hang of Woolarding yet, have you?

On 12/8/2019 at 6:59 PM, beko1987 said:

Its the new trend, squallarding. All the yoof are at it! 

It's the gopnik stance (see "Life of Boris" on youtube). But he's doing it wrong, both feet have to be firmly planted when taking that stance :D