Most usable tax free/classic insurance friendly car? My thoughts. Please correct me!

aldo135

Hmmmph. I don’t honestly know what I’d buy if I were you and you were me. Once upon a time it would have been a MK2 Granada, but that ship has long since sailed.

A Sierra will comfortably seat a family, but I’m not sure I’d gamble on sticking my kids in it day in / day out. You couldn’t justify it from an economy POV - as a MK3 Mondeo is now cheaper than a MK1 Sierra.

If it’s for weekends only, and I had £3k rather than the usual £FuckAll - then I’d be trying to get a Renault 16 from France. Parts supply is poor, but knowledge is excellent and it’s only a weekend car anyway. If it was an only car, you need something so obvious and popular that there’s almost no fun in it. A Mini/Minor/Beetle/240/900 etc. 

AlexG of this parish is selling his fine Allegro estate. Would seem to tick most of your boxes save easy access to rear seats for child purposes.

20191202_203635.thumb.jpg.32bff09e7596510d0d8ec350dcf31229.jpg

otherwise a Renault 16 is a fine suggestion. I've been amazed by how capable mine has been as a daily driver in all weathers and conditions, even with my usual regime of absolutely zero maintenance of any kind. Parts availability is better than a lot of British cars of the era and the ride/handling/comfort/practicality is second to none. Only problem is finding one in the UK.

11 hours ago, BeEP said:

ADO16 obviously.

I should really agree with your 1800 suggestion, as I have one (half-heartledly) for sale.  But no, still ADO16 ?

Is that the one on carandclassic? I wondered if you knew that one when I seen where it was! Why is the ado16 better? Are they not quite similar apart from size?

4 minutes ago, aldo135 said:

Is that the one on carandclassic? I wondered if you knew that one when I seen where it was! Why is the ado16 better? Are they not quite similar apart from size?

Yes, it's the one on carandclassic.  Has also been advertised elsewhere with little interest.  Hoping my tame welder will do the MOT work in the new year (although it's perfectly useable as is) and I'll re-advertise.

I guess ado16s were my first classics, and I've owned at least one for the past 24 years so I'm probably just biased.  I still think if you had to put a new driver used only to modern stuff in a 1960s car, an ado16 would stand the best chance of not being crashed very quickly!  The 1800 steering is unsurprisingly heavier (although some did have PAS), and whilst they are still great fun to drive to me they just don't quite have the poise of their smaller sibling.

44 minutes ago, BeEP said:

Yes, it's the one on carandclassic.  Has also been advertised elsewhere with little interest.  Hoping my tame welder will do the MOT work in the new year (although it's perfectly useable as is) and I'll re-advertise.

Swap for Princess with PAS and ticket exemption in a few months

7 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

Swap for Princess with PAS and ticket exemption in a few months

Maybe I worded that badly; I actually prefer them without PAS!  Was just pointing out that 1800 steering is understandably heavier.

It's probably a no to the swap, but no harm in sending me some more info and photos if psossible. What engine/spec/transmission, work needed etc?