200k ovlov? Would miles put you off?

Bren

Won't have got that far without being looked after, and would guess most of the 'big ticket' things have been done by now. Can't be any fucking worse than a Passat though?

Bought our 2005 V70 in the spring on 215K, well maintained + bells and whistles. (see dark beast thread link below). It was a car to get us through a few months but it's been trouble free so far and took a trip to the north of Scotland in it's stride, so we're keeping it longer term because it's an awesome car. It badly needed a service,  handbrake needed sorting and a few other bits needed attention so including purchase price I reckon cost £1200-1500 to get it to a good useable standard, so if it helps, if I was selling I'd be looking to get about that much for it.

23 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Won't have got that far without being looked after, and would guess most of the 'big ticket' things have been done by now. Can't be any fucking worse than a Passat though?

To be fair Billy the passat has been ok - the pd engine is a gem. Unfortunately the rest of the car will have issues long before the engine. 

This depends on the price. I remember going to a dealer in North London, years ago with my Dad. The dealer zeroed all the milometers as in his words., "They last forever mate. No need to worry about mileage." We didn't buy from him. These were the old 240's and 740's. He did buy one eventually from a local dealer. Promptly got written off by a wazzack in a HGV moving into the fast lane on the M1 without bothering to check whether on not it was clear. As with all things it depends on condition, service history and price.

My question would be... ‘has it been owned by someone who can afford to run it properly’

Or has it been run on a shoestring by some fool for the last 50k? The seller will tell you as much about the car as any history will do, if it’s parked on where a lawn should be and the seller arrives in some jogging bottoms sounding like he’s got bread in his mouth as he speaks, chances are almost certain it’s a fucking dog. On the other hand if it’s outside somewhere pleasant, the chap is dressed fairly well and the seller doesn’t call you ‘m8’ every 30 seconds it might be ok. 

If the Pissrat is going okay at the moment, why change?

Mrs Roobarbs went for many miles more than I ever believed it would, only costing a used ABS module. 

That said, if you fancy a change then head vs heart. 

If you buy it and then decide it’s too much of an unreliable money pit in 6 months, what could you get for it and how much would you be willing to lose? Selling a 200k mile car isn’t going to be easy, (think what’s going through your head) as not everyone is good with their own set of spanners... That said, if someone has put 20k on it in just 10 years, someone has looked after it - is it the current owner though? See above about weighing up the seller and check out for recent bills and MOT advisories. 

Car is manual. The issue is what to pay, for me anyway. These cope well with high miles but the likelihood of a catastrophic failure is greater at 200k than 100k.

The passat has lowish miles (141k is nothing for a pd) however 3rd gear baulks sometimes, it needs a timing belt and all the dampers will need replacing in the near future.

That's why I am looking.

33 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:
4 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:
Mine is on 246k and seems fine, still does 75mpg on a run.

At 30MPH downhill?

Steady 65-70mph always sees over 70mpg, getting around 45mpg around town, stick to 60mph and I have broken 80mpg from Tamworth to Derby, 80mph on a private road occifer drops its to around 60mpg. Fuck knows how as it’s a big old tank. And that is based on fuel in, not the computer readings. 2.5 5 cylinder dizzler on Asda’s finest.

Steady 65-70mph always sees over 70mpg, getting around 45mpg around town, stick to 60mph and I have broken 80mpg from Tamworth to Derby, 80mph on a private road occifer drops its to around 60mpg. Fuck knows how as it’s a big old tank. And that is based on fuel in, not the computer readings. 2.5 5 cylinder dizzler on Asda’s finest.

I have an S70 TDI with the same engine and it takes a fair bit of effort to better 50MPG according to the fuel computer.

As Cort says my 2011 V70 was a nightmare, electric handbrake issues, rattly pulleys, ( the alternator tensioner can seize and rip the cambelt off)  fuel pump( £1200) although eventually it was all sorted, a mate remapped it after unblocking the intercooler and it went like feck, in fact it was approaching twice the limit  on a 30c day when it burst into flames...

Too much Mondeo but still with Volvo parts prices, smaller load space than a Passat too. I used the insurance money to buy a Passat, slightly less trouble, but at least parts were cheaper. 

I'd persevere with the Passat and just go from 2nd to 4th to make the box last a bit longer,  or get a Mondeo or Merc estate.