So I bought this. Nissan Sunny fondling and fettling thread. Exhaust fixing under way.

spartacus

Quick update. I've been using this to ride back and forth to Mrs Sparts place, (30 miles each way), when it's convenient, and to run around at the weekend with my girls. It's doing about 40mpg, so my man maths is telling me I'm making a massive* saving on fuel over the vans 30mpg.

The other day one of the headlamps failed, I had a quick look and was greeted with this...

So I ordered up a loom with relays to sort it out.

20200225_122114.jpg

FFS, anyhoo, it's all sorted now and I can see in the dark again. There's still a blowing exhaust to sort and also the very slight 'missing' feeling, which could either be the inaccurate routing of the many vacuum pipes to and from the carb, or a dodgy plug.

That's all going to have to wait though as I'm really busy at work and home and the camper needs a service and other bits doing before a trip to Edinburgh then France in March and April.

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

Quick update. I've been using this to ride back and forth to Mrs Sparts place, (30 miles each way), when it's convenient, and to run around at the weekend with my girls. It's doing about 40mpg, so my man maths is telling me I'm making a massive* saving on fuel over the vans 30mpg.

The other day one of the headlamps failed, I had a quick look and was greeted with this...

So I ordered up a loom with relays to sort it out.

20200225_122114.jpg

My first Micra K11 did this very thing.

According to the HBOL, it's a switched live, I followed the diagram in there to see if I could find any evidence of a relay.

ETA, also, they're H4 headlamps, so the switching must be for a live feed to the low beam and another live feed to the high beam. Although I suppose you could equally have two switched earths. But it doesn't.

I would give this a bit more looking into....

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=74984

"..Take it to somebody that understands how the system works.It is not a conventional set-up on these;the headlight circuit is earth switched (there is always power to 1 pin of the headlight).My advice would be to forget the relay at the moment and check fuses and switch.hth.."

FWIW ;)

I had 2 of these - first one in 1.3LX flavour with all of 60bhp (E509XYS - loved it) and the second as per this one - a white 1.4LS (G125SGD - one of my favourite cars I have had). The wee 1.4 12 valve enginewas a little jewel - my dad had the 1.6 12 valve at the same time and it was coarse as anything compared to the 1.4.

LS was one up from base at the time. The L was poverty spec in the extreme as I recall, keep fit windows, no rear wash wipe, no intermittent wipe, 4 speed box, one wing mirror  (was later rebadged Premium as per the oyster coloured one further back in the thread)

I was a bit of a Nissan nut in my day. My outright fave was my Primera 2.0eZX - H303CNS. Brilliant car.

• 3 weeks later...

The exhaust down pipe/front box on this has steadily been blowing more and more since I bought it. It's had plenty of sparkly stick action and a fair dose of exhaust putty too. After trying local factors with no success I hit eBay up for a new section, £32 delivered, with only a slight delay.

I had chance to have a bash at it today, so popped the car up on the ramps on the drive, in a cruel twist of irony, while I was grovelling around on my back in the gravel, gallantly aiming a blowtorch at the seized nuts on the downpipe, Mrs Spart was clearing the garage, with the aim of being able to use the pit... Sigh.

Despite being old enough to know better I still managed to snap one off the stuffs in the manifold by leaning on it too much, TBF to me though it was very soft. I reckon I'll make do with two, we'll see. After the above mentioned blowtorch action the other two came off OK. I just sliced the two bolts to the centre section, they're easily replaced.

Pictures below for your delectation, bonus pic of Mrs Sparts biggest horse who decided he needed to come into the man cave and check out the contents.

20200322_152212.jpg

20200322_152633.jpg

20200322_155558.jpg

20200322_164407.jpg

I fitted the exhaust tonight, probably the easiest I have done. The correct gaskets were in stock at my local factors. 

I managed a quick test run before the curfew, it's amazing what a difference to the driving enjoyment a silent exhaust makes! The engine is very smooth for a four cylinder unit and I'm now looking forward to getting out in it when circumstances allow. 

The next task will be to sort out the maze of vacuum pipes on the carb/manifold/airbox, and also try and cure the occasional very slight 'hiccup', which I think may be an HT lead issue.

Behold the crappy pic of the new exhaust in place.

20200323_183207.jpg

I have to say, I'd own one of these. I have a secret hankering for a K10 Micra, having had one as a loan car years back, brilliant little car. I also used to pilot a 2.0 Datsun Bluebird estate that was used as a plumber's van, all had that slightly plasticky but indestructible interior and ultra reliable running gear.

A good dose of rustproofing should see this good for years.