So I bought this. Nissan Sunny fondling and fettling thread. Exhaust fixing under way.

spartacus

16 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Samsung note, Android.

ah I dont have an android phone on hand, but I imagine the processes is similar on all mobile devices so heres how you do it

when you scroll to the bottom of a thread there will be a reply box

image.thumb.png.9e5c36ba3a6c2204a0bcbbc7738f4fdc.png

click the "click to choose files" option, then it should bring up your phones equivalent of a file/photo browser

then you can chose the picture/images you want to upload, once you have confirmed the photos you want to upload

then they will be uploaded and added bellow the white box, then to add them to the post it self you hit the little plus button 

image.thumb.png.39de6bcb367ef1e607abfc1df44996fe.png

like so, the image will go where the blue cursor is (which you bring up by tapping on the white box)

image.thumb.png.ea72680a70ca35749aa4c3a2030dead1.png

hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've had this a few weeks now which has given me time to assess it and think about what needs fettling first, (other than the rear wiper!)

I left it on Mrs Sparts drive for a couple of weeks as life got in the away, the first time I came to it it was soaking inside, Grrreatt! as Tony the Tiger would say.

Water was literally beading up on the inside of the sunroof glass. It's a fairly common fitment from that era, with a piece of toughened glass that drops into a retro fitted frame with a rubber seal around the perimeter. It didn't take long to discover that there was a significant build up of dirt/algae on the seal. I lifted the glass out completely, cleaned it all up and threw it back together, result, it stays dry now.

20191229_114339.jpg

My girls were having a lie in this morning, so I thought I'd go out and tackle a couple of jobs off the list. As is the way I got distracted early on by the discovery of an aftermarket immobiliser/alarm, probably fitted by the importers or the supplying dealer. I'm not a fan of leaving stuff like this connected if it doesn't work, so out it came...

20191229_105005.jpg

20191229_112953.jpg

Then I took it to my folks place and gave it a good wash, slurmed some polish on it and gave the bumpers a coat of linseed oil. It looks OK for a 28 year old car.

While I was there I had a quick look at the exhaust which has started blowing, it's the down pipe/first box, so that'll be the next job to do.

20191229_154750.jpg

20191229_154805.jpg

As seen in Top Gear's Cheap BMW Challenge all those years ago, badly done alarms leach into the car like dry rot. I will say though that I don't believe that alarm to be original to the importer. It looks to me like a 2000s project going by the style of the transparent controller, the modern sounder etc.

Whatever it is, its good that it is gone and the car is an absolute cracker! I'm sure that if you keep it looking and performing good it'll repay you with many thousands of miles and smiles.

I like that, I had one a few years ago when they were a lot cheaper. Bloody good car, and the 1.4 goes a lot better than you'd expect. 

Obviously, because it was the perfect car, I got rid and get something worse ?

Edit : After I sold it on, it ended up with another Retro Rides member who improved it*

a48fd0b85d449fa37fc5d91628f8680f.thumb.jpg.11140aeaae8845c3a0132aa5848d408a.jpg

5ab9ef7d5dab110820251d518e610888.thumb.jpg.17f85bb5f4f783375847b62535b0a79d.jpg

* depends on who's opinion you listen to ?

Jaysus, I also recall these coming out when new. I was a student nurse at the time and based in Barnet. One of the general nurse hotties had a bloke with a red Opel Manta. He turned up one day with a brand new Sunny in the metallic blue colour. I asked him were the Manta was.  Yep, he'd px'd it against the Sunny.

I wanted to punch him in the throat. The Manta was an utter minter. 

The little Sunny looks like a good'un.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:26 PM, TrabbieRonnie said:

Nice car, reminds me a lot of our 323...  wonder why Nissan could make red paint last so well when nobody (Audi/Vauxhall especially...) else could?!! 

Lol I think this car is the exception. Nissan didn't do any better than anyone else. I once saw a B12 Sunny ZX Coupe that had faded so  bad it was almost white.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:57 PM, TheDoctor said:

I like that, I had one a few years ago when they were a lot cheaper. Bloody good car, and the 1.4 goes a lot better than you'd expect. 

Obviously, because it was the perfect car, I got rid and get something worse ?

Edit : After I sold it on, it ended up with another Retro Rides member who improved it*

a48fd0b85d449fa37fc5d91628f8680f.thumb.jpg.11140aeaae8845c3a0132aa5848d408a.jpg

5ab9ef7d5dab110820251d518e610888.thumb.jpg.17f85bb5f4f783375847b62535b0a79d.jpg

* depends on who's opinion you listen to ?

I like the wheels, the 2-tone paint job and the jokey RS text down by the rear wheel. It's a pretty good parody of performance Nissans from that era, like R30/31 RS Skylines or S12 RS Silvias.

I missed this first time round, great to see another one on here. Although it's still vaguely for sale, mine gets regularly used and I like it a lot.

My one doesn't have PAS either, I was hoping a new set of tyres would improve matters but it seems to be something I'm just going to have to live with. As mine's an earlier version I don't get EW or a sunroof either (sounds like no bad thing on the latter).

I'd be interested to drive a 1.4 12v and see how it compares to my 1.6 8v. I can't imagine there's too much difference, and you get the benefit of cheaper tax.....

I reckon the handling on them is pretty decent, even on skinny 155s, and the gearshift is excellent.

Rot-wise, one place they can go is the rear inner arches. I've never dared look at mine, but might be worth removing the trim panels inside the boot and seeing what's going on there?

Look forward to hearing more about how you get on with it.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, catsinthewelder said:

Top purchasing BTW winners buy small old Nissan's from Lancashire ?

This looked a pretty nice car when I had a look-over it ( & the seller has some other interesting stuff at his gaff, including a couple of Bedford flatbed trucks that he is restoring, so it might well be that he has less than sympathetic neighbours in Freck - a village known for its curtain twitchers and NIMBYS)

I was wondering on whether you took the plunge with this @spartacus and glad to see you have - they are pleasant cars. I had custodianship of the Forum Bike Cherry for a while and the sills needed some sparkly stick action on that. Very nice to drive though in a basic unassuming 80's kind of way.

You should get your outlay back if you ever sell up - in the meantime enjoy it.

@Spottedlaurel I'll fess up now, I've put a deep dish three spoke steering wheel on it and it's transformed the driving experience. I've driven plenty of cars and vans with heavy steering but the driving position didn't lend itself to it, you were pulling yourself out of the seat at every junction. The handling is typical of the era from Japanese cars, really safe, although the Barum tyre on the nsr nearly had me in the undergrowth the other day, it must be made of plastic, it certainly makes a noise like it is!

@UltraWomble I'm hoping to be able to get to it with some underseal soon, if I'm feeling flush later in the year I'll get the sills done properly. I think your initial assessment was spot on though, thanks!:-)

@dollywobbler as above, Ultrawomble took a good look over it and I've obviously had a good look now too. I think the worst parts will be rescueable with remedial treatment and subsequent painting, except for the sill ends. The front panel is pretty scabby but fortunately it's a fairly simple task to strip the front down to refinish it.