So I bought this. Nissan Sunny fondling and fettling thread. Exhaust fixing under way.

spartacus

Probably not too much £'s? These era Japanese cars seem to be rising in value quite fast - and turn up being 'cool' in the odd advert or video/tv show. I reckon, being an owner of several 1985-1995 cars this is probably a kind of golden era of simple, well-designed, super-driveable and fun cars. No complicated stuff. Rustproof it,  drive and enjoy. Looks a great buy.

I got the Jimny Krown Rustproofed a while ago. Seemed to holding up okay as a grease rather than a paint treatment and it wasn't mega expensive. 

Haven't had good luck with Dinotrol/Waxol in the past. All it needs is the water to get under the treatment and rust out from behind. Figured the Krown grease would prevent that... 

I think @dollywobblergot his Favorit done with it, might know the longer term outcome of Krown. 

1 minute ago, clayts450 said:

That looks well nice, great buyage. 12 valves tho' ? That does seem odd..

Was fashionable for a short while, a few motorbikes did it as well. Iirc it was supposed to give nearly as much performance boost as 16v, but at lower cost. It was very short lived.

@spurious the toggle switch is for the giffer fitment front fogs, there also a 'momentary' push button next to it that I haven't figured out yet.

@wuvvum yep, that rear blade is indeed horrible, unfortunately it has those on the front too. I'll put it on the list!

@willswitchengage, I have you to blame if it all goes tits up!;-)

@noeltidybeard, is yours a 1.4, if so, what sort of mileage do you get out of it?

Thanks for the love chaps. I've been tiling around in it this afternoon on my local roads for the first time. It's typical of the era, good visibility, easy to place, airy feeling cabin etc. I'm liking the clean lines too, one of those cars which makes you look back at it when you've parked up, which is probably unusual for something Japanese, I think the colour helps there.

1 hour ago, clayts450 said:

That looks well nice, great buyage. 12 valves tho' ? That does seem odd..

My Corolla E90 is as well, which was marketed for pretty much the same years as this Sunny Pulsar thing. Per cylinder you have intake valves and exhaust valve, and they're all actuated from one single camshaft via rockers. So in theory you you get the benefits of a better intake area but with the simplicity of a single camshaft and side-mounted spark plugs. The volumetric efficiency of 12 valves is only something like 90% of 16 valves so the change to DOHC systems really was only a marginal gain. Weirdly my old Subaru was 3 valves on a cyl engine... so 9 valve in total.

Cheers BorniteIdentity, sure there is a danger of that, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for that Alex, I was lying in bed this morning wondering where you'd got to! (Don't read into that though mate).

If the past is anything to go by you'll end up driving it somewhere. I'm not on Facebook and the only bit I can see that's missing is the little triangular trim that goes over the door mirror fixings on the inside of the n/s door. 

I was having quite a good game of

Image result for what is it red dwarf"

as all my photos show up like this:

image.png.2eda9d0d690820049548da85663dcc99.png

Which is the same as anything Dollywobbler posts for some reason.

Noel Tidybeard gave the game away though from his signature and the fact it ran on carbs. To be fair I was going for a Toyota, I hadn't even considered one of these. 

Passed my driving test in one so really should've been further up the list. 

On 12/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, wuvvum said:

That rear wiper blade needs frisbeeing into the nearest bin, but other than that  that is pretty much perfect.  I had a go in Spottedlaurel's one a while back and found it a thoroughly pleasant steer.

The rear wiper's the best thing about it haha!

29 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Soz Hillmanimp, I don't know why that is, I upload my pics from imgur, it's the only way I've ever managed it.

I never even used to get an image code thing on DWs thread, it just looked like massive blocks of text, so you're one ahead of me there!

Anybody have a solution?

It just does it for certain people, not sure why. 

I'll get on the phone to AOL and say my dial up interwebby thing isn't working, can they send me out a new CD.