Brightwells-Best classic show ever-March Visit

Stevebrookman

Went to Brightwells classic auction yesterday.

Better than any classic show-you can sit in the cars-open the boot / bonnet plus it's free to get in.

Couple of cars took my fancy.

Prices seem good-but just remember there is a buyers premium of 12 % on the hammer price-VAT on the buyers premium and 7.5% indemnity fee.

The Royale below was absolutely mint (looks like mine through squinted eyes)-£5000 hammer price which equates to about £6000out of the door. Brightwells results show the 12% added - but not indemnity-so the Royale final price is shown as £5600

Slide 1

The star for me was this absolutely immaculate Ventora manual with overdrive-£3136 (not including indemnity).

Slide 1

Think my next purchase will be similar to this-£7840  (not including indemnity).

Slide 1

Full results list is here

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-motoring/leominster-classic-vintage/leominster-classic-vintage-27th-november-2019/catalogue-classic-cars-27th-november/

3 hours ago, anonymous user said:

Just one question, what the hell does the 7.5% fee indemnify?

Exactly-I thought an HPI check would suffice-just another money maker.

Talking about money makers-to bid you need a bidders number-fair enough-I had downloaded and filled in a form to get one on arrival -"just in case". I had already scoped out the Ventora and a rusty VX 4/90 (below) as potential targets if the price was "right".

Getting there slightly later than planned and not wanting to  "upset" the wife with the line "guess what I've bought" - I thought I'd give it a miss. 

Myself and my friend settled ourselves in what we thought was the bidding hall-it wasn't - but it was comfortable for watching and listening to the action on the tellies they had up-also tellies in the big sheds where the cars were. I went for a wander and found the actual sale room-but to get in you had to have a catalogue-for sale for £20!

Slide 1

That Brightwells' auction looked really interesting with a great range of cars both in terms of age and type. Both Turbo Rs looked nice. I prefer the colour coded grill of the '94, but the bumpers of the '96.

Auctions are good fun, along with a big adrenaline rush if you are buying. I have had a little spate of buying cars at auction that I liked, fixing anything that needed doing and then selling them on. The other bit of fun* was attempting to get them home under their own steam.

The VX 4/90 looked good-it had apparently £1000's spent over the last 10 years-but the rear end was ripe. Holes in both sills - which originally had been covered with wob and both rear arches were full of filler and bubbling. It did come with two new sills.

Still a lovely looking car with the dog-leg 5 speed and twin Strombergs. 

Steve

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

As much as a Ford Licker that I am, the Royale is probably a much nicer car as well. 

I've has a couple of Capris- a  2.0S and a 2.8 Injection.

My Royale is far more comfortable and handles better-and with mine having a 3.0 injection engine and 4 speed auto-it's quicker than the 2.8 Injection I had which was a 5 speed manual. My friend had an earlier 2.8 Injection with the 4 speed manual which was much quicker than my Capri. Don't know if it was souped up but the previous owner had got booked doing 139mph in in by plod.

Fuck.

I had comvinced myself the Ventora would go for at least double that price.  

Brightwells is local, I could afford that much. 

Wanted one since a ride in a yellow one with overdrive  in 1974. 70 mph@2500 rpm was quite something back then.

I am just a wimp about auctions; I hate feeling pressured, I hate any kind of competition.

The Strada/ Ritmo for £2.5k seems an ok price too. And yesterday that DKW Wankel & sidecar made £5720.

So much to buy, so little time / covered storage / cash.

Sigh.

12 hours ago, Asimo said:

I am just a wimp about auctions; I hate feeling pressured, I hate any kind of competition.

I would suggest going to the preview the day before. Ask the auctioneer to start the engine on anything you like, have a good look round the car and check the paperwork. I used to avoid any cars entered by dealers.

Make sure you know your limit plus one cheeky bid. Have the funds in place and a plan to get home. It is always a bit nerve wracking and when bidding time goes by super quickly until you have the highest bid and want the gavel to fall in which case it seems like an eternity.

When you do win something, just be prepared to find a few problems with your new motor no matter how good it looks.

Overall it is quite an exciting way of get something new on the drive.