Champagne car , Lemonade priced Merc - Thank you MB for this bit of clever design

Rusty Pelican

Starter changed - and what a faf that was , no room , torx bolts that were way too long IMHO , Main lead that only just reached , so much so you had to connect  it with the starter loose .
2  1/2 hours of lying on my back under a couple tonnes of Germanys finest = not fun 

Whoever designed it needs it shoving somewhere painful - still its running again although im not holding my breath 

Starter motors are a known weak spot on these, My FiLs has eaten a couple, they sometimes shows themselves to be on the way out by blowing the fuse. Rocking them back and forth in gear moves it enough to get them going with a new fuse. Hopefully yours will behave now it’s been done.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Starter motors are a known weak spot on these, My FiLs has eaten a couple, they sometimes shows themselves to be on the way out by blowing the fuse. Rocking them back and forth in gear moves it enough to get them going with a new fuse. Hopefully yours will behave now it’s been done.

Me too , i can get them cheap through work but they are still a hideous thing to change 

• 7 months later...

Well a long overdue update .

The feekin thing is actually behaving itself , fitted new rear discs as the old ones were fecked , changed the oil , 
I busted the bonnet grill using my head ( short but painful story involving me standing up in the wrong place ,)  still I got a tatty second hand one off ebay which was cosmetically challenged so ended up just spraying it black .

Also fitted some of them Heko wind deflectors which stopped the rain getting in as i drive with the window open a few inches most of the time ( No pics as yet ) .

An hydraulic tappet decided that making a noise was great fun but very annoying , I added some lifter cleaner which helped a bit , then a mechanic mate suggested  and I quote " stick it in flappy paddle manual mode and rag the fuck out of it for ten miles " i did this and its been silent ever since .

So for the most part its actually not a bad motor ----- for now at least 

PS The clocks STILL working 

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

• 6 months later...

Well its still alive , failed MOT on CO which turned out to be the back box falling off , Merc wanted two kidneys and a lung but got a pattern part for £150 .

Then we had a coolant leak which took forever to trace to a crappy plastic pipe on the back of the head , its one bolt , one clip , one hose and an O ring fit , with access its a 10 minute job - took me three feekin hours and a very scratched hand come the finish .

Still it seems to be leak free at long last 

Next !!!!!!!!!!

Suppose to look like this 

s-l1600.png

Mine was a tad knackered , and what is it with these spring hose clips - bloody nightmare 🙄

159815016_10225867679738314_4446629128204472759_n.jpg

• Rusty Pelican changed the title to Champagne car , Lemonade priced Merc - Still alive
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2021 at 23:05, Rusty Pelican said:

Looks great , nice wheels as well , they are great when they work :)

Thank you!

Well, mine has some minor faults like one of the control arms that's shot, and the famous seat occupancy sensor. Bar that, it's been dead reliable, especially for the 530.000 km it has

4 hours ago, OM646 said:

Thank you!

Well, mine has some minor faults like one of the control arms that's shot, and the famous seat occupancy sensor. Bar that, it's been dead reliable, especially for the 530.000 km it has

Mines on 131,000 miles and petrol , is yours diesel ?

• 4 months later...

Well the WCPGW has happened , took it my friendly garage today for a service A whatever the feck that is , anyhoo i gets a phone call , some plug or pipe or whatever has split on the gearbox   and its leaking oil like the Amoco Cadiz , advised not to drive it more than 3 inches so thats great  .

Its still got that annoying coolant leak from the plastic bit i fitted a while back plus the fuel filler hose has turned to mush so thats a tank out job apparently .

Its life hangs on my decision and my wallets capability 

• 2 weeks later...
Well heres a story of how things can escalate on these things .

Due to various reasons I was unable to do this myself so bunged it in my local garage .
I get a phone call a while later - Transmission oil cooler pipes rotted through and is leaking , Its all over the under trey , we advise you not to drive it , also the front to back fuel pipes badly corroded , they gave me a price and i said go ahead .
Today i get another phone call .
One oil cooler pipe refuses to come out the rad so its new rad time .
Tank had to come out for the front to rear pipe whereby the plastic bit on the sender disintigrated so needs one of these , apparently theyve got two fuel pumps , one in the tank and one outside , not sure if they doing the in tank one but the external one sheared its outlet just like the sender .
Bill has gone way beyond what its worth although theres no labour charge fitted the bits that broke as " its not your fault "
Ive been up and had a good look and everything they have said is true - i trust this garage 🙂
What a wanky bit of kit these cars are , all plastic and junk
Its an 06 C180K
Rant over

• Rusty Pelican changed the title to Champagne car , Lemonade priced Merc - Slightly dead

IT LIVES 

Sadly my wallets not so lucky 

Saga is as follows .

Book it into my friendly garage for a service B - or was it A - Feck knows but it sprang up on the dash demanding attention within 28 days .

No time myself and this garage is great , been using them for decades .

Get a phone call a few hours late - Huston - weve hit a problem !!!

We took the undertray off and its full of ATF - Must of looked like a murder scene with all that red everywhere 😗 . Weve tracked the leak to an oil cooler pipe that rotted through , Merc only part and BTW tother pipes none too happy , means a rad out job so wont be cheap .

Figured it daft to scrap a car just because of two rusty pipes so i gave em the go ahead .

Then it got a bit iffy . Front to back fuel pipes hanging on by a thread and wont pass the next MOT - Merc only again only its gotta come from Germany , will be 10 days . Ah WTF just do it I said , il leave it there seeing as its bleeding to death - I mean just how bad can it get - a fuck loads as it turned out .

So they had to drop the tank to fit the fuel pipe , cue the sender outlet snapping off , 

Oil cooler for the box is in the rad - and guess what - its refused to come out along with the bottom hose which also grenaded itself - this meant new rad / cooler .

So what started as 3 rusty pipes turned into the biggest bill ive ever had the misery to  pay .

Still WTF , its only money 🙄

Fuel pipe , by the tank , goes into a filter apparently 

FIMG_0919.JPG

The oil cooler pipe that wasnt leaking

IMG_0920.JPG

The one that was

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

Sender unit shit itself 

IMG_0918.JPG

A collection of dead bits , i didnt collect the rad , didnt see the point 

IMG_0926.JPG

1 hour ago, AndyW201 said:

I got one recently, 180K Avantgarde SE, same spec as this, 108,000 miles.

All I can say is, I'm scared!

This is on 132 , 000 miles , watch for leaky cam magnets , oil gets in the loom and into the ECU , You can only imagine the mess that creates , They are superb to drive with lots of features youve probably not found yet ( like winding all the windows down using the key ) , but feck me they can be funny fuckers 

Aye, all stuff I've picked up from the owners forums. (Think I've seen you posting about your car on the FB owners group).

At the moment I'm keeping an eye on the gearbox as when I got it, it would sometimes go into neutral after flooring it to overtake or initiating kickdown. It took about half a litre of gearbox oil, since then - touch wood- it's been okay for the past month. But I'm prepared for the dreaded gearbox plug replacement...

19 hours ago, Rusty Pelican said:

This is on 132 , 000 miles , watch for leaky cam magnets , oil gets in the loom and into the ECU , You can only imagine the mess that creates , They are superb to drive with lots of features youve probably not found yet ( like winding all the windows down using the key ) , but feck me they can be funny fuckers 

16350932396524069853739016738268.thumb.jpg.2160b11dad4e95cbd0d60ee97a173691.jpg

16350932923906210558257408963837.thumb.jpg.93d35d3d57d55aed70588f457a60bdbd.jpg

Handsome things though, aren't they? Especially in higher spec. I always fancied an Avantgarde SE for the staggered 'Adharaz' alloys and this one being Granite grey also appealed, one of the colours that goes great with the weird blue tinted glass that MB fitted to these. Just a shame it's had an aftermarket replacement exhaust fitted, hence the diesel-lookalke backbox! Love the electric heated sport leather seats and the alloy interior trim. (How does the window thing off the key work then?, I tried to see if it had a feature like that but couldn't make it work).

Lovely smooth motor as well, I was used to the turbo shove of my old Octy VRS, but with the supercharger on these, it's just a nice smooth build up of speed. And the 'charger whine is quite addictive. Sadly it looks like I need to get some front discs on it as the slight brake judder from highish speeds is spoiling the party a bit!

11 minutes ago, AndyW201 said:

(How does the window thing off the key work then?, I tried to see if it had a feature like that but couldn't make it work).

Have the doors locked , put the key right up to the sensor on the door handle , press unlock but keep the key pressed and nigh on touching the sensor , it should unlock the door and wind all the windows down , as soon as you release unlock windows will stop so you can wind em down as much or as little as you want , ive set mine so it only unlocks the drivers door on the first press , second does the rest and the boot 

On 11/28/2019 at 10:48 PM, bigfella2 said:

How on earth did that go rusty with it being an 07? Did they forget to dip it.

Poor previous body repairs usually. 

Maybe scuffed when it was new and afterwards just painted over without re-galvanising it first using cold galvanic spray. 

Also if its been painted with a non perfect airdry system it will start to manifest itself at some point in the future. 

To not dip it would be pointless, if there was an issue with that they'd just send it back round the line to be crushed and recycled for other cars /body parts or rack off to one side to be re-dipped when time allows or in most large factories just seems it over automatically to the other line ....

Unless they're in a Honda factory when they would build the whole thing even though its fucked and strip it all back down again to repair the broken part then put it all back together because the line was so badly designed in the first place there's no run off for failed builds,something Ford had in the 70's FFS. And they wonder why it shut 🙄🙄🙄

2 hours ago, Rusty Pelican said:

Have the doors locked , put the key right up to the sensor on the door handle , press unlock but keep the key pressed and nigh on touching the sensor , it should unlock the door and wind all the windows down , as soon as you release unlock windows will stop so you can wind em down as much or as little as you want , ive set mine so it only unlocks the drivers door on the first press , second does the rest and the boot 

*goes off to try this*

Since we're on the subject, why? what question was this answering? As ever, I'm probably stupid, but not once in my last 20 ish years of driving have I approached a car I own and thought 'It'd make all the difference if the windows went down at the same time I unlocked the doors'

I mean its cool that I have that function 'n all, just wondered what the thought process was behind it?

46 minutes ago, grogee said:

If it's a stinking hot day, opening the windows before you get in the car reduces interior temperature from kidney-boiling to mild rapist sweating. Then the reliable, effective air conditioning system will 'pull down' the temperature to 'ooh, wish I'd worn a jumper'.

Thats exactly when i use mine , cars black and boiling my liver opening the door isnt fun