I'll tell you what I fancy a drive in...

barefoot

Nissan Prairie MK2 (preferably with wheelchair ramp for easy loading)

Datsun Stanza (lots of glass, lots of light)

Seat Marbella (incredibly basic)

Vauxhall Signum (drinks cooler)

R20 GTL (makes a very big car look like a pretty runabout)

R20L (different to all other R20s in every way because poverty)

R30 ambulance (preferably when I'm on my way to be pronounced dead ?- what a way to go!)

Maxi Diesel (could have saved BL)

Citroen LN (but not an LNA!)

Renault 3 (never been convinced it truly exists)

Scirocco GL Automatic (what's happened to it?)

Proton Impian (?)

Fuego Diesel (because somebody actually bought it new!)

On 12/1/2019 at 5:41 PM, TheDoctor said:

I've been given one of those experience day vouchers recently, and I'm considering taking an R34 Skyline round a track, as it's a car I've always fancied. 

However will I regret not having a go in something older / V8? 

You will.  However, if the Skyline has been on your bucket list, do it, because you'll enjoy that too.  Don't let superfluous worries cloud your day.

17 hours ago, skattrd said:

I sold my working Sirion/Storia, so I'm down to one (currently broken). I'll try to remember to give you a shout when it's fixed.
The last time it was on a rolling road it did around 130bhp, I'll be hoping for 150+ when it's fixed.

I didn't realise that anyone had a Sirion on here. I've been looking for an early (pretty face) M101 auto, with a view to replacing my Scirocco.

But I'm curious to know if it's actually any good as 'an car' when you're not thrashing the tits off it, is the ride quality/noise/general drivability anything like acceptable?

My Sirion is not really like a normal one, so not good for comparison, it has bucket seats, hard suspension, silly exhaust etc.

Personally I think the ride of a standard Sirion is quite good, and they make decent dailies. I think the handling is good, and the 1.3 engine is cracking ... in K3-VE2 form a t least. I've not driven one with the earlier (lower powered) K3-VE or the 3-pot.
The main issue I would say is that the  body, doors etc are quite thin and flimsy, so little crash protection and in winter I did get ice on the inside of the windscreen. They can also rust like buggery.

@Joey spud has a YRV turbo, which is auto (buttons on steering wheel) , these are basically Sirions underneath,his has the 1.3 turbo motor (K3-VET).
I do think YRV are rather ugly though.

Dollywobbler had a 1l 3-pot M101 Sirion unless I'm mistaken and I think he liked it, there's probably a thread/vid around somewhere.

Just now, TheDoctor said:

I see a solution to your problem @Crackers

??

If I was old enough to drive anything on my insurance then I'd do it. 

...but.... I'm not.

Also, I'm a massive tightarse, so sod driving all the way to (somewhere) and paying for temporary insurance to have a 5 minute razz about in a small shoe.

I would love to though. I get all excited every time I see a Perodua.

Ah look, the men in white coats have just arrived to take me away.

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, sierraman said:

Lonsdale YD41, Granada diesel 2.1, Sierra 2.3D, Talbot Horizon 1.9D. All the desirable once in a lifetime stuff. 

Here is someone else driving the Lonsdale just for you. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes-throwback-thursday/throwback-thursday-1983-lonsdale-26-road-test

Throwback Thursday: 1983 Lonsdale 2.6 road test | Autocar

5 hours ago, Strela said:

DS420. 100% gangsta. Goes like shit in the night. I'll get a ride in one, if it's the last thing I ever do.

dsc_2988_1.jpg

I drove them many years ago for a wedding hire firm. The cars were all ancient and at best mildly fucked. I scraped one on a wall and there was no panel damage - I just took the top dozen layers of paint off....

Cornering speed was limited by your grip on the steering wheel, or the drag coefficient of your trousers on the shiny bench seat. I once got the tail out on a damp road (the cloverleaf at the north end of the Tay Road Bridge) and filled three lanes!

5 hours ago, Strela said:

DS420. 100% gangsta. Goes like shit in the night. I'll get a ride in one, if it's the last thing I ever do.

dsc_2988_1.jpg

Had one as my wedding car, in black. Been divorced years now :(

PS - are you the same strela off PH with the fascinating RR story we emailed about? 

5 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

I still fancy a Turtle shape Ka

Keep looking at them on eBay

Only the knowledge that RUST NEVER SLEEPS stops me pressing "bid"

A decent one is really nice to drive - Enough power to be fun, but not fast. Great fun to lob about the place. My sister had one in about 2003, I borrowed it quite often and really really enjoyed it. It was 7 years old with 55k or so on it, I thrashed it mercilessly and loved every journey. It seemed to use no fuel at all, somehow.

A typical one in 2020 will have different chinese brands of worn out front wishbones, tracking all over the place, baggy rear axle bushes and fucked dampers, plus different budget ageing tyres on all corners, no internal sill structure left and patches on patches on the inners and outers.  My mum and sister had them in this state in 2012 ish, as did a mate girlfriend. I jumped aboard them all hoping to relive my youth, but they were just horrible. Wayward, understeery, clattery and gave me no confidence at all. 

There's a cracking little car in them, but while you might get one that's physically survived this long, the cracking little car it once was is long gone.

2 hours ago, Strela said:

Cool. That can be arranged. It was a while ago, so I'll need to get my thoughts in order. There haven't been any developments since we were last in touch, although the shelter the cars are in now has some rudimentary walls so they are slightly more protected against the elements. But, this could kick start my stalled attempt to get something done with them. Anyway, the story so far is plenty interesting enough, and I still have lots of photos taken over the years. I should be back in the UK April / May. Maybe we can meet up.  

Yup. I’d like that. Sorry I missed you at Goodwood. Will drop you an email.

Only really 2 cars on my bucket list of must drive one one day - and both are simple non exotic fare.

14847506746_776d99bd4f_o.jpg2002 ROVER 75 CONNIOSSEUR SE 1951cc V052VZH by Jonathan, on Flickr

Allways liked the look of the pre facelift 75.

20707064822_beac39be2c_3k.jpg1963 MORRIS 1098cc MINOR 1000 876CJU by Jonathan, on Flickr

Never tried a Morris Minor - but did many miles in them as a a child.

Seen 2 of them now......

But the toyota mirai (think that's what it's called) but that high tech hydrogen powered thing, I'd love to see how they drive

I even think for a modern it looks good.....it's different and i'm glad it's not an SUV

Image result for toyota mirai

On 11/27/2019 at 4:24 PM, vulgalour said:

I just remembered another thing I fancy a go in.  I'm just a bit concerned it might be a case of not meeting your heroes.  I'm expecting supremely wafty squishbarge, but the reality might be rickety deathtrap with coronary inducing brakes.

1949-nash-ambassador-super-in-nj-6cyl-w-

Actually, you'd probably be quite surprised. American car makers that had benefitted from government contracts during the war often took advantage of the manufacturing improvements and experience to make their same basic designs better and more well-conceived in the post-war boom that occurred here. Austerity in the upper end of the market wasn't a thing; those who made it back from the front had a bit of money in their pockets and the government were driving some very good bargains with large industry to buoy their costs, create jobs and bring prices of white goods within reach of the newly emerging middle class.

My Pontiac is, underneath, a mixture of late thirties engineering brought up to speed with wartime metallurgy, modern style for the time and an objective to sell above any other marque through any means possible (be that engineering, materials, design).

Therefore you receive a well designed, well executed tried and tested simplicity with a few additional bits thrown in to whet your appetite and imagination.

Yes, you definitely know you're not driving something modern. But you certainly aren't driving something badly designed in a lot of cases. The engine starts easily at the push of a button, doesn't cough, sneeze, hesitate or require anything more than a push of the throttle to make it work. The gearbox is mostly smooth, to make progress is effortless but not overly enthusiastic. There's a good degree of isolation between you and the road, in the drivetrain, suspension and steering. You pilot it rather than command and demand. It feels well connected to the road but in the same way a train feels as though it knows where it's going. There are no sudden changes but those that do occur are deliberate. 

The steering is geared for ease of turning the wheel. The brakes, while adequate aren't much by modern standards, however I would say they're no worse than anything from the sixties in the UK. Give the pedal a bit of a shove and the wheels lock up. They do work if you need them to but most of the effort you know is coming from you. 

Overall? Comfy and relaxed driving.

If you're ever down this way you're welcome to take it for a spin and try it for yourself.

Phil

One each of these please

Delage_Type_15S8.thumb.JPG.7a790bf34134120837efb10c24f0efe6.JPG329138638_1930-ford-roadster01.thumb.jpg.9f3322535609eb10292c83656a36c050.jpg1582883949_RileyLynx.jpg.9b9c8b7c1f0fd4733e06e89b3391595e.jpg80146967_AustinA30(3).jpg.0af4c6e5022a4ef405fedfd4fa64bce7.jpg1421461082_Lancia-Aurelia-B50-Coup-1960-1.thumb.jpg.3fed8ad092094428e024b792d50e8e04.jpgMini.jpg.b3a4012176bd780909a45ca24e31d623.jpg1294457082_Lotus7.jpg.bba6e6a68341a4e3bd33d514917406da.jpgAlfetta.thumb.jpg.fe117635d8b7278faff215fe2c422b14.jpgActiva.jpg.91bfd8d35509f0d4036128f177352c24.jpg1423916748_Morgan3wheeler.thumb.jpg.f8b11821fc08baa040ba87a6818b5839.jpg

I was too busy messing about with multiple 2CVs to ever get around to driving a Mini when they were readily available. 'They'll always be there' thought I in my infinite wisdom.

Was there ever a car as handsome as the Lancia B50 Coupe?