I'll tell you what I fancy a drive in...

barefoot

Quite a small list for me these days actually - though I'll never say no to a shot of just about anything!

[] Morgan 3-Wheeler.  Just...yes.  Even having not driven one, it would be on the lotto win list.

[] Tesla Model 3 in any flavour.

[] 70s era Ford F-series coach.  Driven a bunch of Bedfords etc but realised recently that I'm pretty sure I've never actually driven one of the Ford competitors...I need to fix that just out of sheer curiousity.

[] Monaro VXR500.  Just because silly.  I did actually have a very brief shot of one, but not nearly long enough to really get to know it.  Probably not the best as it would probably have either killed me or lost me my licence (or both) given long enough.

[] Citroen DS.  I've been a Citroen fan for years, but don't think I've ever even actually sat in a DS.

23 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

[] Citroen DS.  I've been a Citroen fan for years, but don't think I've ever even actually sat in a DS.

The annual DS railly is only about ten miles away from you in Little Horwood. I'm sure you'd find plenty of people there willing to offer you a sit in theirs. One day I'll get mine fixed and got here again in it.

Nothing massively exciting in my list. Off the top of my head.

Austin 7 (or something equally pre-war and slow)
Frogeye Sprite
Citroen C6
Rover 75
Citroen 2CV (this should actually happen next year when mine is finally ready. I've pootled very slowly up my road in it, but not driven one properly).

6 minutes ago, eifion said:

The annual DS railly is only about ten miles away from you in Little Horwood. 

Thank you for this! I live under an hour from there so will keep a reminder to look up next year's event.

They have always fascinated me since I was young

oooh, Jowett Javelin is a good call.  I do wonder how different the Javelin feels to the Jason, they both look like pleasant things to own.  The Jupiter is the one I'd like to have a go in and then hand back so I didn't have any of the responsibility of ownership.

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Forgot one...

A Mini.

Plain, simple, old school Mini.  By some odd set of circumstances I've just never had a chance to have a shot of one.  Though I did spend a few years flying around in a very early Mini Metro.  Which I should never have sold.

WTF? How can this be? 

You have to try one, quite simply the best thing to drive, ever. Nothing else is quite the same, admittedly the build quality etc left a lot to be desired at times! I have owned 38 of them so far. Prices are now insane so I probably won't be buying many more. If you're ever in Cornwall give me a shout and we'll let you have a go in one. Heads off to sit in dark room.......

I was on holiday in Dubai with my wife and son a couple of weeks ago and I hired a new Ford Mustang for the day.

Sadly it was an EcoBoost rather than a full fat V8 but it was great fun and very quick. 

I did a few doughnuts out in the desert, bloody good fun - box ticked.

3878536A-2A4A-455F-AEE2-9A7FE82C823E.thumb.jpeg.5716fff369b19b9862a1a359574ab3ce.jpeg

I would love to try a 1957 Chevy bel air. The ideal one would be 4 door pillarless coupe. image.thumb.png.8d86009b185c7d9bf798bffbade01281.png

I would love to drive anything pre or just post war, preferably Rover or Riley RM. As to the Rover 75, well it is a lovely car. I have one that has just failed it's MoT. It will be up for sale as I have replaced it with an X Type Jag.

12 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Quite a small list for me these days actually - though I'll never say no to a shot of just about anything!

[] Morgan 3-Wheeler.  Just...yes.  Even having not driven one, it would be on the lotto win list.

[] Tesla Model 3 in any flavour.

[] 70s era Ford F-series coach.  Driven a bunch of Bedfords etc but realised recently that I'm pretty sure I've never actually driven one of the Ford competitors...I need to fix that just out of sheer curiousity.

[] Monaro VXR500.  Just because silly.  I did actually have a very brief shot of one, but not nearly long enough to really get to know it.  Probably not the best as it would probably have either killed me or lost me my licence (or both) given long enough.

Citroen DS is not a difficult one just remind me in the spring.

Also I have a local friend with a Mini Designer, if it needs moving I will give you a shout.

2 hours ago, Eavb said:

WTF? How can this be? 

You have to try one, quite simply the best thing to drive, ever. Nothing else is quite the same, admittedly the build quality etc left a lot to be desired at times! I have owned 38 of them so far. Prices are now insane so I probably won't be buying many more. If you're ever in Cornwall give me a shout and we'll let you have a go in one. Heads off to sit in dark room.......

Thirty-eight?????

29 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Six-cylinder: have you edited your signature lately?  I love the way a 22-year-old Citroen has been chosen to sub for a modern BMW!  That must say something!

He chose the XM and was offered my AX and 156 V6 as alternatives.   The XM came back at the beginning of the week, X3 is now fixed and he liked it apart from the faff of the key pad immobiliser.

It is my friends who live a mile away and I see every week for beer, he is a car enthusiast but not an Autoshiter. He has a beautiful MGB with a 130 bhp engine and is currently on the look out for a second classic but one of ours! 

Signature now updated

Pleased to see Citroens featuring so prominently in people lists! A couple of Christmases ago I got a supercar experience thing. Got to drive a Ferrari 458, some sort of Lamborghini, a Nissan GTR and a 911. Ferrari and Lambo very similar, stupid fast in a way you could never use on the road and felt very fragile. GTR was just like sitting in some generic Jap saloon, not special enough but grippy! Ferrari and Lambo much more of an experience. The surprise was the 911, I'd never wanted one until then. It just felt the most playful and most solidly built. I know it's a cliche but if really felt you could use it every day.

Then we got to be a passenger in a 4 seater Vauxhall Monaro thing with a racing driver. Now that was the highlight actually! Lots of space, terrific sound and very tail happy, sad I didn't get to drive that!

Would love a drive in a DS and CX. My best mates dad always ran a CX familiale (still does!) as his daily, so was always getting lifts on adventures in it, that's what got me hooked on Citroens.

Wouldn't mind trying a full fat Range Rover or a Tesla

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

..... I still very much want to have a go in a Sinclair C5!....

I actually did try one when they first came out. It was alright as long as the traffic around you also consisted of Sinclair C5s. Anything bigger, like a normal car, and it wasn't quite so much fun. Didn't bother using the pedals and piloted it on the battery.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:52 PM, barefoot said:

...the DS would be like the CX, and ...

On 11/27/2019 at 3:05 PM, Six-cylinder said:

They are not,  CX should be back on the road next summer,  you are welcome to have a shot.

That was badly written. What I meant to say was that for someone who's never driven an old Citroên, both of these would tick the powered brakes/direct steering/clever suspension/lazy old engine boxes in a way that the frantic air-cooled GS wouldn't. Sort of like someone wanting to drive an XJ and feeling that X-300 & X- 308 are the 'same'.

The only Citroêns that I've driven are a handful of 2CV which were enjoyably frantic, a C3 which was terminally dull & a fast C4 which was instantly forgettable.

List is something like:

- A modern (up to 3 years old) top of the line luxobarge.

- 3rd gen Camaro IRON DUKE!  (2.5 inline 4 putting out a whopping 90hp), although any strangled early 80's Yank will do. 

- An old, performance classic such as en E-type.

-  Big Yank pick up, preferably a Ram or Sierra. (Next trip stateside I may rent) 

-  Big Yank SUV, Esclade or Yuckon. (Again, next trip ststeside I may rent!)

- Smart Crossblade. 

Thats what all springs to mind right away. 

For me I'd say, a Lancia Stratos, 037, an Alfa Romeo Montreal and another for the Citroen SM.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:15 PM, barefoot said:

..... or possibly a thrash in a silly 101 bhp Sirion...

I sold my working Sirion/Storia, so I'm down to one (currently broken). I'll try to remember to give you a shout when it's fixed.
The last time it was on a rolling road it did around 130bhp, I'll be hoping for 150+ when it's fixed.

Austin 7 ( sort of genesis of normal modern controls in mass market product)

P6 3500s ( uncle and dad had one when I was a kid, 80s version of low cost high liability at the time)

Atkinson Borderer (uncle was hgv mechanic when I was little, ridden in quite a few)

AEC Mandator V8 (our tonys all time favourite both to work on and drive)

On 11/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, Spiny Norman said:

The only 'normal' car I'd love a drive in is the one I was a passenger in for the first 10 years of my life but have never managed to get behind the wheel of, which is a Renault 16.

You're not missing much tbh - unsatisfactory brakes for the modern road, massive body lean. One speed wipers, ventilation lever simply opens a flap on the scuttle! 

Junkman's is very comfortable with the TX interior, and it's nice to be able to get out either side because of the dash mounted gear lever and handbrake. But in my opinion, the R20 is the R16 with all the shortcomings solved. R20TX is the ultimate incarnation of the 16 series of you look at it objectively....