I'll tell you what I fancy a drive in...

barefoot

Driven an Activa, driven American tat, driven LHD manuals (not so keen but they're ok), driven an M3, driven a few new cars, both slow and fast, and a van, and a snowmobile, and a quad bike, and the 100 or so cars I have owned. Probably one of my favourite cars to drive is my friends Yugo. 

I'd be happy to drive something really old though, like 50/60s or even 70s. I've got no real experience of a car that age yet. Also, I'd love to try out a lorry of a similar era, and a bus, preferably some kind of Olympian. 

Tucker 48 for me please. Failing that a Tatra 87 or a Vector W8. 

I can say hand on heart that neither DB5 nor DB7 are 'all that'. 
DB5 looked, felt and sounded special, though. 

DB7 I6 felt like a bitsa; you could tell where most of the interior had come from and there wasn't a lot of headroom even for someone of my height (5ft 10). It had some nice grunt but was made to look utterly crap by the XK8 I also drove shortly after. You'd have to really want the badge to pay £15-20k+ more than the equivalent XK8 at the time, although prices for the Jag have now risen. 
I've never tried a V12 DB7 either. I suspect that engine might make up for a lot of shortcomings. 

This thread has really got me thinking.

- Citroen DS or CX, I really want to experience the waft of LHM

- Something Hydragas or Hydrolastic, they intrigue me greatly

- 3 wheeled Reliant, ideally a Bond Bug

- A gigantic American barge, preferably a 70s Cadillac

- A bus

10 hours ago, SiC said:

Big ones left on my bucket list: own a V12 and own a V8

Something I'll never get a chance to drive but would complete me automotively:

20191110_125642.thumb.jpg.1672c7098c2a2181aa18511b6a7d2025.jpg

One was on my bedroom wall growing up and thus will always be my number one car.

I wouldn't feel too bad about never getting to try one. There's a reason they're always for sale with ridiculous low mileage; for 99% of the time they're just a pain in the arse.

I've never owned anything of that nature so can't talk from direct experience, but in a past life I use to work on this kind of exotica and see what the owners did with them. Very little, was the answer. Usually buy them and sell them on when they got bored, or stash it as some form of investment. 

Once met the father of a famous geezer in the Supra world. He brought his f40 in for tyres. 8000 miles in almost 30 years. 

Rover 75 or MG ZT , for some reason I've never even been in one, maybe if I did I'd understand the love for them.

My trade , has meant I've driven many nice cars over the years and can honestly say that the novelty of the latest, most powerful super duper Merc, Bentley or whatever wears off pretty quickly and comfort and reliability are far more important, you know, the sort of qualities a £700 X300 or W210 Merc can offer.

As for not meeting your heroes,  yes and no . I've yet to drive an Aston Martin that Is anything more than a powerful engine surrounded by badly assembled bits of either old BL , Ford, Volvo or now, Mercedes , switches and trim.  Porsche 911s are another car I'm always dissapointed with , probably because I've lusted  after one  since I was about 4, maybe I just need a go in a GT2 or an RS .

Heroes I've met and loved include Integrale, Nissan GTR and Golf R and Jag XJs of all types and eras, in fact to answer @Skizzeras to if Rolls and Bentleys really feel special, you're going to be sorely dissapointed compared to your XJ-S and S3, they're unrefined and lumbering.

For my 30th my wife treated me to a weekend classic car hire, I opted for an early E-type roadster but unfortunately the gearbox went a few days prior to me getting it. Was given the choice of a Mk2 Jag or Citroen SM instead. Opted for the Jag which was a lovely thing to cruise about in and being the 3.8 had some poke, surprised a few 3-series numptys!

I do slightly regret not trying the SM though, it's definitely still on my bucket list. Other than that, something pre-war would be interesting. Also I've never ridden a motorbike and am intrigued to give one a go, not something I'd kill myself on but and old Triumph or Norton with an open face helmet would be a blast I'm sure.

Nothing new really takes my fancy much for normal road driving.

Yugo... more specifically my Yugo. I can’t wait to have a drive in that. 

Beyond that, there’s loads I want to have a go in. But topping the lists:

Something pre-war.  
An E-Type. 
Reliant Robin/Regal/Rialto 
Citroen XM. 
A bus. 

But tbh I really enjoy the chance to drive anything I’ve not driven before! 

1 hour ago, RRT22R said:

Everyone should experience a rusty seventies Mini, on drum brakes, in a hurry, in the wet.   

They swing to the leeeeft!

They swing to the riiiiiight!

Mini Thousands!

Their braking is shite!

(with apologies to the Barmy Army for bastardising their song about Mitchell Johnson)

I was thinking what electric cars I'd like to drive, and there's a few.  Probably the most interesting of the bunch is likely to be one of the Edwardian options, like the Baker Electric models all of which (as far as I know) are equipped with tiller steering rather than the conventional-to-us steering wheel.

03-Baker-Electric-DV-16-FM-01.jpg

13 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

I was thinking what electric cars I'd like to drive, and there's a few.  Probably the most interesting of the bunch is likely to be one of the Edwardian options, like the Baker Electric models all of which (as far as I know) are equipped with tiller steering rather than the conventional-to-us steering wheel.

03-Baker-Electric-DV-16-FM-01.jpg

old electric vehicles with unusual controls?

step right this way sir! 

s-l1600 (11).jpg

5 hours ago, RRT22R said:

I'd really like a drive in Leyland National bus.

I used to drive these in service in the mid eighties.Not a bad steer if the gearbox was set up properly.(most weren't and were so jerky I used to manual change).Huge overhang on the back needed watching in traffic(I was  based in London) but surprisingly pokey for a bus.Running light down the Kingston by pass I got one up to an indicated 55mph once.And that had city gearing.

I’ve enjoyed a wide range of new and old stuff, luxury and cheap, but things I’d still like a go in:

big old yank v8 pickup

beach buggy

Mate had a old frog eye sprite with all round drums, anything above walking pace felt epic - can highly recommend really old cars for exhilaration factor!  

Probably the weirdest was my only brush with a rice rocker the integra type r, all the power at 8000rpm.