I'll tell you what I fancy a drive in...

barefoot

I have similar feelings, although I’m not sure I’d realised it until you mentioned it. I hope there are plenty of new experiences still undiscovered; more Floaty French and more abject misery. 

I’m keen on trying some really dire diesels next year. The stuff you had to be a taxi driver or an utter mingebag to buy.

3 hours ago, barefoot said:

Other than that... Is there anything left that's still interesting? What would you like, or recommend to drive?

Yes and I know it is culturally against this forum, but a BMW (I have said it in small letters) M3 Evo E36. 321 bhp driving the rear wheels though a 6 speed manual gearbox with no electronic nanny control, just a LSD and a well engineered chassis is a joy like no other.

26 minutes ago, warch said:

Apart from the usual group B rally cars, I've always really fancied having a go at driving a lorry. Although if I was a lorry driver I'd probably end up buying into that tedious professional driver/knight of the road crap that some blokes insist on spouting.

Long hours, poor pay, nowhere to go for a shit at a moments notice. I don’t think it’s all Yorkie Bars, murdering hitchhikers and Kris Kristofferson. 

30 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Long hours, poor pay, nowhere to go for a shit at a moments notice. I don’t think it’s all Yorkie Bars, murdering hitchhikers and Kris Kristofferson. 

It's like tractor driving, I really love tractors, but it wasn't that great as a job, especially if said tractor lacked a radio. Or a cab. No wonder so many farmers suffer from loneliness. I just fancy a go in a lorry not a career change. I'd especially like one with a proper incomprehensible gearbox, like those one's where you have a range change and a 200 rpm wide powerband. Or one with a huge five foot long gearstick like on Outback Truckers.

Also I'd really like to do a bike track day (once I've fettled the old CBR600) and have a go at rallying. 

Something with 2 wheels, something with 3 wheels.  I like the look of those funky moped things with two wheels on the front, they look like they could be fun to bob about on.  I really like the idea of a motorbike, it's just not a practical consideration, I'd love to be brave enough to have a go on something pre-war, but I'm not.  Tuktuks and Apes are on the list too because I can't really imagine what they're like to putt about on.

There's loads of microcars I'd like a play in, both new and old.

As for general new cars, nothing really grabs me as being something I want a go in.  Luxury cars don't seem very luxurious, and cars with sporting aspirations hold no appeal at all.  Unless you're going into the world of the small volume and bespoke, most stuff on the market has that problem a lot of 90s cars do in that manufacturers have figured out what works best and see no reason to play about with it, which is perfectly fair.  Maybe a go in a Mazda RX8 would be fun.

I’m old,   I’ve done it all , mostly ; now.   I’ve owned/ driven virtually everything that  has ever interested me. 

I derive more fun from an early Ibiza. Trabbie, Espero etc, now

I guess I wouldn’t  mind borrowing an early Griffiths, or Cerberus, with thin tyres, in the wet, on an airfield for an hour or two

The rest? Pah. Over rated mostly - esp on this little crowded sceptered  isle.

The Trabant has been a revelation, they really focus your mind on driving, and I have had more fun in it at 50mph than most stuff I've driven.  Used to have a Mini Sprite, the 1.3 spi version... that was bloody brilliant too.

Our modern, normal car is the 2.5 Outback, and much as it has driven me mental at times with EML's and horrendously expensive parts(!), it really is a great drive.  The engine is an absolute cracker that just loves to scream up the revs, and the grip/handling/ride combo gets very addictive.  Consequently, the 3 litre six banger version is high on my list of want, and also would love a shot at a properly sorted Impreza.

Older BMW 7-series (the 5 litre V12 would be nice, thanks), Toyota Century (the 5 litre V12 again...), mk3, 3 litre Supra, and the mk3 Pontiac Firebird (Knight Rider type) would all be on the list too.  

The roads make a huge difference too, living in the highlands has meant I have been completely spoiled.  Even my work commute is a cracking 25 mile, a-road drive.

5 hours ago, jonny69 said:

I think I still want to float around in a rotten late 60's / early 70's barge. Something Coke bottle shaped. I think the Timelord thread in the open forum has made me feel like that again. The early 90s seemed to be a time when you could do that in South London with relative ease.

Talking Of the Timelord thread, I want to be able to drive my own car but don't have the guts to take it on long runs

IMG_20190908_021316_1.jpg

Metro 6r4 is the dream drive though. 

That's yours?  Excellent!

I've driven most of the vehicles I've ever wanted to, including lurries for my bread and butter. but there are still a few on the wish list.  Citroen DS and SM; Bond Bug (or any tripod really); a proper American truck like a bonneted Mack or Kenworth; Riley RM; Ford V8 Pilot; something from the 20s or early 30s, preferably American; an actual fire engine!  Some of these may well be achievable.  There are things I'd like to own too, but they're mostly variations on themes already sampled.  For example, Huggy is my third Cadillac, and if he turns out to be my last, well at least I've had three... but more would be nice!  A Cadillac is a bloody lovely place to sit!

ETA Jonny69: if you're serious, what's more 70s than a brown Cadillac? ;)

Mostly my family's old cars that I was too young to drive but remember fondly. They owned some iconic vehicles but didn't seem that bothered about them at the time and they were neglected then disposed of without much discussion.

My Dad's BMW 850 he used to give me whiplash in every time he set of from the lights just to see if that was necessary. He sold it to a dealer in the 90's recession to pay the mortgage.

My mum's split screen air cooled VW bus that caught fire on the North circular. This was left to rot on a friend's driveway until scrapped in the late 90s.

My grandad's CX which lived under a beech tree and slowly turned to mould as he succumbed to cancer.

My grandmother's early Micra that ended up a greenhouse on my uncle's allotment.

Other than that in terms of moderns a V6 petrol engined hydropneumatic Citroen just because I want one. 

I drive a lot of hire cars for work and there's always something interesting and fun about it. Even if they are shit (Mokkas).

Morgan 3 wheeler....unless you're an anorexic midget - forget it!!!!! used to deliver there, and had a 'tour' while i was being unloaded...I have seen bigger bathtubs than those 3 wheelers...make a lovely sound though!!!

HGV driving....been there got the aches n pains to prove it - as stated above, long hours, under paid and way too many rules n regs!!!

I would love to drive a "REAL" mini again.....if I can still fit...loved mine, chuckable and so much fun, even at low speeds.

My Dream drive I think would be one of those 'Rebuild' Jensen Interceptors..modern brakes etc, perhaps with the Hellcat engine dropped in for added fun...

Series landy off roading is fantastic....way better than they have any right to be - and you also appreciate the shit panel gaps when wading, as it just runs back out again..also zero electrics to worry about (OK so about 4 fuses!!!) .. been off roading in a Range rover, series and discovery.. and would take a 2.25 diesel swb any day!!!  

OH and Motorbikes are great fun - till you reach the age where you realise that YES you can Indeed die....then they slowly become less fun, unless A you are certified insane, or B its summat hilarious like an east european 50/125/175cc thing...or a pink honda melody

Like Mr Bickle, I too am old and have been lucky enough to own and drive most of the things I have wanted. I'm also lucky enough to have had a go in some stuff I will never own, including armoured cars, vintage cars and buses.

The only thing I would really like a go on before I pop my clogs is a steam roller or traction engine.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Something I'll never get a chance to drive but would complete me automotively:

20191110_125642.thumb.jpg.1672c7098c2a2181aa18511b6a7d2025.jpg

One was on my bedroom wall growing up and thus will always be my number one car.

You’re right about this. I’m not into Ferraris but this was a stand-out supercar for me. This, XJ220, 959 and Countach. XJ220 I’d probably just want a ride in TBH, 959 the same, wouldn’t mind ragging a Countach and I don’t think I’d hate it. F40 I don’t think I’d ever get bored with, it was built to drive and just ticks all the boxes.